Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

UK Duty on gifts

(10 Posts)
SueH49 Fri 28-Feb-20 09:23:40

Thanks for the link Marydoll

Americanpie Fri 28-Feb-20 09:05:58

If the gift is posted from Northern Ireland then duty wont have to be paid. From what I hear, many items don't get picked up by customs, we have neighbours with family in the USA who frequently send gifts. Be careful sending perfume. I sent some internally in the UK , well packaged etc and got loads of earache about it! Apparently it was classed as dangerous.

SueH49 Fri 28-Feb-20 08:55:28

Notnecessarilywiser, that may be an option but I would need to work out cost of extra postage against duty. It may be much of a muchness.

SueH49 Fri 28-Feb-20 08:51:34

Oopsadaisy these items were not available in the UK

It is only recently that a duty has been put on such a low value. I an understand a charge when it is a commercial transaction but not when it’s a genuine gift.

notnecessarilywiser Fri 28-Feb-20 07:56:53

I recently had to pay when I was sent a parcel from Australia. I'm in England. The notes accompanying the demand for payment said 1) Items valued over £135 will attract import duty, 2) Gifts valued over £39 will attract VAT (20%). In addition, a Royal Mail handling fee of £8 applies.

Could you send your gifts separately (hopefully with each parcel being less than £39 in value) so that no charges apply?

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 28-Feb-20 07:52:14

In future , why not order the gifts on line from a UK supplier? Then you pay in your currency and it gets delivered with no problems.

I’m surprised that you want to circumvent the duty and that some people lie about the contents value!

BlueBelle Fri 28-Feb-20 07:49:26

When my son sends anything from NZ they undervalue it on the form on the back of the parcel if it’s worth more than the duty quota Obviously if it’s precious and went astray you wouldn’t get the proper price back but it worked for us so far ever since he sent me a watch and I paid nearly half as much of it’s worth in duty

Marydoll Fri 28-Feb-20 07:48:21

Here is the link:
www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 28-Feb-20 07:47:02

If you go onto the Gov.UK site they have info on VAT and duty payable on goods coming into the country.

SueH49 Fri 28-Feb-20 04:25:15

Hello All,

I have some items that I am sending as a gift to a friend in England (I'm in Australia) I believe that the recipient will be required to pay duty on these items as the collective value is about 120GBP. As I understand anything over a value - including postage - of 36 GBP incurs this duty. Is anyone able to tell me how much the duty is please and if anyone knows of a way around this I'd be glad to know? Is the duty payable if the gift is posted from Northern Ireland?