Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Scouting question

(21 Posts)
JackyB Mon 16-Mar-20 10:15:00

Well done for applying. If we want our young people to do worthwhile things with their lives, the best way is by example. If you had been awarded the position, you could have perhaps reduced the amount of work you actually had to do yourself by delegating, and I am sure you would have enjoyed it.

Your new position looks as though it is more flexible which should suit everyone all round.

I used to be a Guider but now I live in Germany there are not the opportunities.

SpringyChicken Mon 16-Mar-20 06:44:18

Oops, sorry, I didn’t read your latest post, Mrs H999. I hope it all goes well for you.

SpringyChicken Mon 16-Mar-20 06:41:22

I was invited to be a school governor. Although it was flattering, I knew it was a case of ‘who can we ask who would be soft enough to take it on?’. Put aside the flattery and consider all aspects of the role. What impact will it have on other activities you enjoy.

Tangerine Sun 15-Mar-20 23:11:34

Congratulations!

MrsH999 Sun 15-Mar-20 21:38:17

Update
Well I applied and today had an interview.
It was a group of six people, two of who I already knew. I didn't actually get the role but was told I was very close second and the clincher was the other guy has more recent knowledge of the District. The feedback was very positive and I have been asked if I would undertake some other role. The County Commissior has asked if I would work with him at County level?. He is going to get back to me and arrange another meeting where we can discuss options. So feeling happy that I decided to apply and excited what the next offer may be.

Susan56 Sun 08-Mar-20 11:05:35

My husband and I spent many years involved with scouting.As others have said,the scouting movement has changed a lot.However,saying that it is a huge compliment to be asked to be District Commissioner and you are going into it knowing the amount of work involved.My husband says it is quite usual to ask retired scout leaders as they have experience but don’t have the huge amount of work and admin involved in running a group to contend with as well.

Anniebach Sun 08-Mar-20 10:41:03

I was an Akela who married a Scout Master. Much involved in
being District Commissioner as you know, your decision rests
with the question- do you really want all that work

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 10:20:47

It's not only you who has moved on, the Scouting movement has too and I, too, wondered why there are no current members who have volunteered?
It could be that they simply do not have the time, of course.

It could be extremely worthwhile and you might regret not giving it a go but you do need to consider carefully the impact on your family.

NotSpaghetti Sun 08-Mar-20 10:06:05

MrsH999 - please don’t forget to ask
1) what happened to make the current position holder quit?
2) why has no-one currently inside the movement applied?

... and then, instead of talking to the district team (who will want you to do it), get in touch with the person who is leaving and talk frankly to them!

I have to admit that your last post sounds as though you have already made your mind up though. Maybe you are just going through the motions.

MrsH999 Sun 08-Mar-20 09:54:52

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to have a chat to other members of the district team and get the views of people that know the pitfalls. I am still passionate about how important Scouting is, and know I still have a lot to offer. However I will only offer 2-3 years ?

sodapop Sun 08-Mar-20 08:42:45

Congratulations on your nomination MrsH I do have to agree with NotSpaghetti though, think hard about all that is entailed and how your life has moved on since you left Scouting. If you decide to stand then time limit your term of office.

vegansrock Sun 08-Mar-20 06:45:06

I’ve just stopped doing something I’ve done for years, and have enjoyed doing, but have no wish to go back. Life moves on. Why does no one currently in the organisation wish to do this? It may be a poisoned chalice. Make a list of pros and cons- see which one is the most persuasive. It’s a no from me.

mumofmadboys Sun 08-Mar-20 01:52:44

I agree with NotSpaghetti. You have given up Scouting 10 years ago. Maybe no-one else has agreed to take on the post. You don' t know how many have turned it down. Your life has moved on.

NotSpaghetti Sun 08-Mar-20 00:45:29

Personally I wouldn't do it.
I think as you have moved on you will find it's not the same. Apart from that it is bound to be much much more work than it at first appears.
You have given years to the movement and now you have your time.
If it were me I'd be wondering why someone current isn't wanting to do it? Why are they wanting to bring me out of "retirement"? Maybe it is flattering, and I know from experience it's hard to say no when asked to apply for something, but do you really want to give up what you have now in order to go back to something you used to do?

Think hard about it. Please don't just be flattered into a life change.

geekesse Sun 08-Mar-20 00:36:20

Go for it. The most appropriate person for a position like that is someone who takes it seriously enough to be reluctant to take it on. You’ll help to enrich the lives of a whole new generation of young people, and perpetuate the values you want your own grandchildren to develop.. congratulations on being nominated!

Fiachna50 Sun 08-Mar-20 00:32:58

If you value your free time and being able just to get up and go if the fancy takes you, I would have a serious think. You also have to look at why you gave up the Scouts in the first place. It will be a demanding role and I don't think you will be able to do it for a limited time.

B9exchange Sat 07-Mar-20 23:43:28

They must think a lot of you to have asked you, and as DC, you will have more clout, so not the bullying risk.

Your family are proud of you and want to you take it, why not try and see?

Eglantine21 Sat 07-Mar-20 23:35:28

I shouldn’t give advice really because Im always in the market for a new challenge or experience?

Me, I’d go for it and then if it didn’t work, family, time, what the job turns out to be, I’d just gracefully bow out.

Very few things are irreversible, so why not give it a try.

(Feel free to ignore possibly very bad advice?)

MrsH999 Sat 07-Mar-20 23:30:12

Thanks SueH49 tbh my head is all over the place. Since giving up our roles as Scout Leaders we have so enjoyed our free time. But can't help thinking we both have a lot to give. I have till Wednesday to decide if I am going to apply. I know the role is being offered to me but my husband and I are so close it will involve both of us. TBH I am thinking along the lines of just making a commitment for a limited time. But know it could be a longer term than I think ?

SueH49 Sat 07-Mar-20 23:20:52

Congratulations on the nomination MrsH. Probably not as significant a role as your potential one, but I was recently invited to become a Trustee for a Canine Museum. I have had an interest in the dog world for almost 50 years but have been slowly reducing my involvement. I thought long and hard whether to accept the position or not. I felt I had given my best years and was not sure that I wanted to make the commitment. Ultimately I decided against accepting the position. I think that in many cases we do things almost out of a sense of duty....."if I don't do it who will" sort of thing. Sometimes one just has to bow out gracefully.

MrsH999 Sat 07-Mar-20 23:09:07

Hi all
First post and a hugely emotional one.
I come from a Guiding and Scouting background which is how I met my now husband. Long story but we got together 17 years ago (after being best friends 30 odd years ago as teens through Scouting). Anyway we spent 11 or 12 years as Scout Leaders before hanging up our woggles 10+ years ago due to an over demanding line manager (to give a non-scouting term). Anyway today I have been blown away to be nominated to apply to be a District Commisioner, apparently I have been suggested by some body in District. I am hugely flattered but not totally sure I want to apply. I am a big fan of Scouting and know I have a lot to offer but do I want to go down this road again. My husband and children are 100% behind me to do this but I know my commitment will have a big impact on our lives and our Grandchildren.
Anyone else have anything like this dilemma?