Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Billie Eilish

(16 Posts)
AnnyNanny Wed 11-Mar-20 08:26:05

My GD (15) is a huge fan of this singer Billie Eilish. I don't know much about her but I want to be aware of what my GD's listening to and she was so eager to introduce me to her favorite music that I ended up listening to several songs of the singer and watching 2 music videos.

Well... I'm not gonna comment on her appearance because she is young and brave so she can do whatever she wants. I have some doubts about her singing abilities (which I'm not a fan of), people like different styles, whatever. But the lyrics!

What she is singing about are dark things and thought connected to drugs abuse and suicide. T be honest, I was surprised that my GD's listening to someone who says "I wanna end me" or "Wanted to fly so I step off the Golden". It is scary, FWIW! I remember about the emo or gothic subcultures but Billie Eilish is a whole new level. I assume it is just her image for the scene but anyway, it is depressing.

What do you think of her and her music? Do your GC listen to her?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Mar-20 09:14:42

I love no time to die which is the theme tune for the new James Bond film (cross that the film will not be released until November now due to Covid-19)

Oopsminty Wed 11-Mar-20 09:22:35

My grandchildren don't listen to her, ( too young), but I do

Hugely talented young lady

Many songs over the years have had
dodgy/dubious/depressing lyrics

If my grandchildren enjoy her music as they get older I'll not be unhappy about it.

Carenza123 Wed 11-Mar-20 09:24:12

I think Billie Eilish is a refreshing change to half clad artists today. She quirky and her and brother are talented. I liken her to possibly Elvis Presley (female version) where people in his era were shocked by his dancing and music. I feel sorry for her as she has apparently been trolled and vile comments made against her, yet think she is a talented girl, who has her own style of music.

tickingbird Wed 11-Mar-20 09:28:12

Very talented young lady who refuses to dress provocatively and regarding depressing lyrics/songs - Leonard Cohen anyone?

GrandmaMoira Wed 11-Mar-20 09:32:32

My DGD loves her. I like her music though admit I hadn't listened carefully to some of the lyrics. I was initially relieved that my DGD wanted to listen to music I like rather than rap or similar music which I hate hearing.

Nata Wed 11-Mar-20 09:45:20

Oh, don't you worry, she is better than many other artists. She won the Grammys after all. I personally don't found her songs depressing and neither does my DGD. She is going to see her performing live in summer. She even did a school project devoted to Billie, she prepared the slides and the whole speech about her. I think it is great to have an artist who encourages teens to do projects about their music.

Another good point which i like about her is that she never dresses provocatively. That's a rare thing nowadays and I hope she will be a good role model for young girls in the future.

CathTheWise Wed 11-Mar-20 09:56:23

Billie is superb to my mind. I love her style and her voice

Chestnut Wed 11-Mar-20 10:09:30

I would occasionally listen to Leonard Cohen when the mood took me but on the whole it's surely better for young people to be listening to something more cheerful and not to songs about drugs and suicide. Especially as we have so many young people actually killing themselves these days.
On a positive note, there are decades of wonderful music from the 20th century for them to listen to, a golden age of creative music. Try and introduce them to some of that.

ValerieF Wed 11-Mar-20 18:23:09

I absolutely love and admire her. So young and so talented and her and her brother were interviewed. I got the feeling that she had a very old head on young shoulders. Was talking about bullying and how to cope with it. I just hope the fame at such a young age doesn't affect her. Very talented young girl.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Mar-20 18:28:37

I ve never heard of her my grandkids are all into drum and bass I ll have to have a listen

Labaik Wed 11-Mar-20 18:34:43

I think her appearance at Glastonbury might still be on utube.

Labaik Wed 11-Mar-20 18:35:04

...sorry, I meant catchup….

Blondiescot Wed 11-Mar-20 19:50:30

I think she's brilliant - and very talented too. Any time I feel low or depressed, I always want to listen to music/lyrics that most would probably call depressing. Bands like My Chemical Romance were heavily slated in the press when the goth/emo phase was at its height, but many fans have actually credited them with saving them when they were feeling depressed or even suicidal. It can actually help a great deal to listen to lyrics like that - it makes you feel that you're not alone in feeling that way.

May7 Wed 11-Mar-20 20:09:34

Yes I too am a fan of Billie her voice is haunting . I am also a massive fan of Leonard Cohen and drove my teenagers insane with his music.

rosecarmel Wed 11-Mar-20 22:02:55

I love her, her music is dark and yet playfully pouty, her videos are like graphic novels-