Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lurkers' Week: Have you ever met a famous person?

(120 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Mar-20 09:26:26

By chance, by invitation - it matters not!
We just want to know who. And where. And what they were like grin grin

TashaGransnet bumped into Ian McKellen at a theatre production in Doncaster and said he was friendly and professional. SarahGransnet often bumps into Alison Steadman who she assumes lives local to her, and I once passed Nelson Mandela on the escalator. Does that count? grin

pollyolly Sat 14-Mar-20 13:17:58

Also saw a pantomime in Bolton starring Stu Francis all my grandchildren loved him, he was so funny. After the show we asked if it was possible for them to meet him and were told he was just having a cup of tea but minutes later he came to us and talked to and posed for photos with them all. Lovely, lovely man {smile]

pollyolly Sat 14-Mar-20 13:12:01

Years ago, DH and I were wandering the streets of Trastevere (Rome) when a group of men all dressed in black suits strolled by. Amongst them was Mikhale Gorbachev looking very happy and relaxed. DH smiled and waved at him and he smiled and waved back. What a gentleman.

Evie64 Sat 14-Mar-20 00:10:30

I used to work for RCA Records just off Regent Street many years ago. Met loads when I was there, Bowie being the most famous. The Who when I was in a promotional video with them and my friend Ann who worked for Track Records (The Who's own label at that time). Keith Moon asked me to go for a "ride" with him in his White Rolls Royce. As I was, and still am really, a "good girl", I giggled and walked away. Since then my OH had a back injury as an engineer and, as a change of career, did "The Knowledge" and became a black cab driver in Central London. Over the 25 years he was doing it I lost count of the number of famous people he met, sometimes not always "at their best"! I think the one I remember the most as he was a personal hero of ours was Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel fame. Lovely bloke grin

knickas63 Fri 13-Mar-20 21:58:41

Miriam Margolys. She was lovely! Ripe language, but genuine and lovely. She was giving a talk on Diversity at my workplace.

blue60 Fri 13-Mar-20 19:13:29

I've met Alan Titchmarsh a couple of times, worked with Chris Beardshaw and have a great friend of many years in Terry Walton, the allotmenteer on Jeremy Vine's radio show.

Razzy Fri 13-Mar-20 12:31:00

Don’t think I’ve met anyone “really” famous. Have met a few people off the tele. Gaby Roslin, Rimmer from Red Dwarf (Chris Barrie), Linda Robson from Birds of a Feather, Tris Payne (Real Rooms, if anyone remembers it?!) has spent time in my house. Also met lots of well known horse riders including a few Olympians. In fact my horse knocked Mary King over once. That was embarrassing!!! Also I had to fly the Arsenal football team to a match abroad, many years ago, and flown others so have met Arsene Wenger (he spent much of the flight on the flight deck), David Seaman, Beckhams parents. And met John Kennedy Jr once when I worked in New Jersey.

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:53:34

Prince Michael of Kent at my place of work- he was very pleasant.

Various MPs- one, Labour, female was on a ward with the peasants which she hated. She insisted on having an Amenity Room as they were called then so that she could have access to a telephone. She wanted a single room and that is what she got.

One male MP, Labour I think, who was very pleasant was also very deaf- his wife was also charming.

trisher Fri 13-Mar-20 10:34:24

Many years ago in a mis-spent youth I was hitch hiking from London with a friend, we were picked up by Edwin Starr and his road manager. Sort of knew who he was but not a big fan. He invited us to his gig in Leeds but we were heading North and said "No".

mancgirl Fri 13-Mar-20 10:34:05

Shared a jacuzzi with Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard when they were England players. The team were staying at the hotel where I am a gym member. Didn't know who Michael Owen was until my husband told me later.

dragonfly46 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:53:51

Met many celebs at the Empire in Leeds when I was 16, Marty Wilde, Ray Charles, Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent and many more.

I also saw a lot on Richmond station travelling home from work in London but the most memorable was David Attenborough. He got on a bus I was on and a wad of money dropped out of his pocket. I picked it up and in that amazing voice he has he thanked me!

BlueSapphire Fri 13-Mar-20 09:35:09

And Glen Campbell signed a CD for me after one of his concerts.

BlueSapphire Fri 13-Mar-20 09:31:05

I forgot a couple!
Many years ago DH and I were sitting in a crowded pub near Silverstone, when in walked Jackie Stewart the racing driver. Came and sat on our table as it was the only one with enough empty seats. He seemed nice.
And I have known Laura Tobin, the ITV weather presenter from when she was a little girl. She lived locally, and was a pupil at both schools I taught at. Often used to chat with her mum on the bus.

talula Fri 13-Mar-20 07:38:29

I nearly got knocked down by Prince Edward on his bike when he was a student at Cambridge, he did stop and apologise.

talula Fri 13-Mar-20 07:34:45

I once met Clive James in Boots store in Cambridge. I couldn't resist saying "Good morning, Clive", he replied that he was looking for toothpaste. He was really lovely.

Marmight Fri 13-Mar-20 04:09:04

Have seen loads of well known faces but never really actually met anyone famous As an 8 year old I had to curtsey to Princess Margaret. Once sat at a table in an Italian restaurant next to Magnus Magnusson who was very smiley and on another occasion Andrew Marr At the Edinburgh Festival not long after his stroke, who was much smaller than he appears on the telly. My Mum met Dudley Moore years ago on a film set. She brought me back his autograph which I still have - somewhere. Apparently he was very polite and chatty!

Happyme Fri 13-Mar-20 00:01:21

Quite a few, one best forgotten was Jimmy Saville though at the time I thought he was very kind as he interrupted his jog to sign his autograph for my son. Knocked on Tim Healey's door some years ago when helping a friend with her canvassing job, I was gob smacked when he opened the door....all I could stutter was "I don't suppose you'll be wanting any double glazing??". He was lovely, just shook his head and laughed. Husband used to play with Sting when they were kids though he was known as Gordon then!! His dad was our milkman and Gordon and his brother used to help with the deliveries.

Susiewakie Thu 12-Mar-20 23:14:59

I met Englebert Humperdinck as a child Mike and Bernie winters etc as my uncle ran a theatre Later I met Diana dors she was lovely sat on a plane with David Essex

glammagran Thu 12-Mar-20 23:04:24

Purplepixie I saw Ginger Baker live at an arts centre in Bracknell many years ago.

susieq3 Thu 12-Mar-20 22:52:26

Martin Roberts winked at me inside Gatwick Airport a couple of years ago,
Prince Michael of Kent came into the wine shop where I worked in Tetbury and asked me to recommend a bottle of wine for a picnic. He was so kind and polite. I recommended a German one of course !!

Feelthefear Thu 12-Mar-20 22:51:20

Many years ago I worked as Cabin Crew, just short haul in the UK mainly but we had many famous passengers. Patrick Stewart was a regular and was lovely, Nicky Campbell was also a regular for a while, and had a habit of boarding first, sitting in the first or second row but he would always stand for ages putting bags in the overhead lockers so no passengers could get past him. Every single time. He would delay the whole planeload of passengers from boarding, used to drive me bonkers!

Purplepixie Thu 12-Mar-20 22:20:45

We sat on the next table to Stephen Fry at Greenwich Village, New York. He had boiled eggs with soldiers.
I walked past the late great Ginger Baker from Cream once.
We saw Jools Holland at Newcastle Airport ages ago.
As a child I saw Jayne Mansfield go past our house on a pink cadilac.

BlueSapphire Thu 12-Mar-20 22:09:52

Oh, and Fanny Craddock in John Lewis in Oxford Street, 1960s. I was having some fabric measured out and she came in with her PA, stood right next to me, and wanted material for her 'pinnies'.

callgirl1 Thu 12-Mar-20 22:01:25

Oh, and although I obviously don`t remember it, I was cuddled by George Formby when we bumped into him on the seafront at Morecambe, I was only 6 weeks old.

callgirl1 Thu 12-Mar-20 21:58:55

William G Stewart when I was a contestant on Fifteen to One in 1997, he was a really nice man.
My daughter got Charlie Williams autograph when he came to Tesco in Rochdale for some reason.
Another daughter chatted to Craig Revel Horwood last month, they were staying at the same hotel, and met in the hotel bar. She says he`s really nice.
Daughter 2 met Nick Berry many years ago, had her photo taken with him.

jillyJo Thu 12-Mar-20 21:45:43

Cilla Black - a really lovely lady.