Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Doing anything nice today?

(66 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 13-Mar-20 09:01:37

It's a glorious sunny day sunshine and I'm off to the hairdresser for some badly needed maintenance. I really do look a mess but hoping to return looking and feeling lovely! smile

Billybob4491 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:47:37

Thank you so much everyone, your words are very comforting.

Tinker18 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:37:58

I did my thrice weekly volunteer dog walk (through the Cinnamon Trust) met lots of other friendly dogs en route and changed my bed so that I am already looking forward to bedtime smile

Mic74 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:35:00

went shopping for a new lounge rug with my DH. we never like the same things, so thought we were in for a struggle. but no, walked into the shop and both liked the first one we saw. not bad for the first time in 56 years.

TerriBull Sat 14-Mar-20 12:56:36

Billybob so sorry for your loss flowers

Greyduster Sat 14-Mar-20 12:47:42

Billybob{{?}} a hug from me. I’m sorry for your loss.

We nipped up to the local nursery this morning (it can’t be called a garden centre by the wildest stretch of the imagination, but their plants are good and not expensive) to find some “gap fillers” for the rockery and something for the shady end of a bed. DH was casting longing looks at polyanthus, which he loves and I hate, but I hadn’t the heart to say I didn’t want him to have them, so they will fill a trough outside the front door until Summer bedding comes along! We will plant those this afternoon if the rain stays off. I noticed yesterday that some hollyhock seedlings I thought had died are doing rather well, so they will merit a place somewhere.

shysal Sat 14-Mar-20 11:50:56

Such sad news Billybob. flowers. Hope you are able to make the arrangements you hope for.

I have had a long walk then pottered in the garden. Planted half the gladioli bulbs I wanted to but came back indoors and ordered a long handled bulb planter for the others, to save my aching back. I will plant them at fortnightly intervals. A neighbour had a great show last year so thought I would add some to my fairly new flower bed replacing my veg plot.

Purplepixie Sat 14-Mar-20 11:45:50

So sorry for your sad loss Billybob thanks

I'm going to do nothing today after a hectic few days looking after my lovely grand daughter. Might catch up on Classic Coronation Street which I've recorded and do some knitting.

Have a lovely Saturday. wine

felice Sat 14-Mar-20 11:45:36

Making Tomato soup with DGS then he has 3 hours of play booked for this afternoon. For his Birthday this year I asked him what he wanted. He said to play, so I got a nice little bag and made up vouchers promising 1hour, 2 hours and 3 hours of play.
He has Jenga, Draughts and Mousetrap ready and waiting.
As the Schools are all closed I think we will be doing a lot of playing.

travelsafar Sat 14-Mar-20 11:39:14

Coffee with my sister and a nice walk into town and back.

Billybob4491 Sat 14-Mar-20 10:38:35

Thank you for your kind words, feel as if my heart is broken.

Yiayia4 Fri 13-Mar-20 21:49:38

Billybob?

Sussexborn Fri 13-Mar-20 18:19:02

Sorry to hear that Billybob. It’s a weird feeling when your life seems to have crashed and burned and the rest of the world is carrying on as usual (albeit with Corona virus threatening in the background).

I went out for lunch with two friends today. There are normally 12-15 of us but most are somewhat older with various health issues. At least it gave one lady chance to talk about her anxieties and she said that she felt better for it. Only two other tables occupied in a normally full venue.

lemongrove Fri 13-Mar-20 17:52:26

Nothing nice today, just cleared out our bedroom ( and moved ourselves into another room) as the decorator is coming next week to paint. Looking forward to having it done, it’s the last room in the house that needed decorating.
May treat ourselves to new curtains and duvet covers.

lemongrove Fri 13-Mar-20 17:49:31

Billy so very sorry to hear that.flowers keep posting on GN there are others in a similar position.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Mar-20 17:45:52

Billybob4491 flowers

Billybob4491 Fri 13-Mar-20 16:49:38

Sadly I had to arrange my husband's funeral today, it has been a very distressing week.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Mar-20 15:53:09

We are going out to our favourite Indian Restaurant this evening for a nice spicy curry. If we have to go into lockdown I will really miss eating out sad

Yiayia4 Fri 13-Mar-20 15:53:02

Went to hairdressers had my colour highlights done and a much shorter style, think I like it?

JackyB Fri 13-Mar-20 15:30:50

I cycled into town this morning to do my shopping. I had promised (?) myself that I would do that when I had nothing too big to get that had to be transported by car. It's a 15 minute ride (at my pace!).

As well as being good exercise, it also saves money - one shop had some nice daffodils but I couldn't get them as they wouldn't have survived the trip in the bicycle basket.

It's very windy, but sunny, dry and not too cold.

The State and the Diocese have banned all gatherings as of this lunchtime so Whatsapps have been flying back and forth calling off all events - even choir practice - for the next few weeks. So I'll probably be joining you all, cleaning windows and doing plenty of decluttering from now until Easter and possibly beyond......

GabriellaG54 Fri 13-Mar-20 15:24:54

Thank you Mapleleaf, it's good to be back amongst the 'in' crowd. grinthanks

t42and24t Fri 13-Mar-20 15:24:26

Wow went to Tescos !!! Have been stuck at home since mid Jan with Sciatica,so horrid .It was lovely to do something that usually is a chore ..Yay .But it absolutely "cream crackered " me !!

Esmerelda Fri 13-Mar-20 15:23:44

I have a friend over for lunch (we've both eaten too much) and are now about to watch the Cheltenham Gold Cup. YAY!

Dancinggran Fri 13-Mar-20 15:20:39

Today I'm working but this evening I'm going to a friends 70th birthday. I've known him since I was 16, when he joined our Op and Dram Society after finishing at teacher training college. We've been friends ever since, he's been a fab godfather to my eldest daughter and an excellent role model. It only seems like yesterday that I was running and jumping into his arms during a dance duet in Carousel... but it's almost 45 years ago... where has time gone!!

Mapleleaf Fri 13-Mar-20 15:13:20

I've enjoyed a pottering day today, dusting and vacuuming through as I've neglected it a bit lately by being busy doing other things. Amazed at how much dust collects when I'm not looking! ?
A beef casserole is slowly cooking in the slow pot as my DH can be home any time between 5 and 8 when he comes home on a Friday, depending on the traffic, so it won't spoil.
Just sitting down now flitting through the tv.
Nice to see you posting again, GabriellaG54.

Witzend Fri 13-Mar-20 15:00:28

About to start 2nd knitted chick and egg (first just finished) for Gdcs for Easter. Shall v likely watch a DVD I ordered ages ago and haven’t got around to watching. It’s the wrongly titled ‘Love and Friendship’, aka Jane Austen’s ‘Lady Susan’ - a scheming little baggage, so I bet Jane enjoyed writing it!
Hope it matches up to the written version.