Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Loneliness in self-isolation

(57 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Mar-20 10:03:49

What advice or tips would you have dealing with being isolated for two weeks? For you or a relative who may be on their own?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Mar-20 11:19:42

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see your messages asking for a link till now. It was on BBC Radio Scotland last Friday. We've just done a few pre-records for Lancashire, Scotland, Humberside and Leeds too but not sure when they're planning on airing. smile

Spookwriter23 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:13:16

Myself isolation I haven't started yet I still meet friends, we all have mental health problems, we are frightened of them worsening, so we have each others mobile numbers, and mind were we all go said we can ring any time

Elrel Tue 17-Mar-20 15:56:46

Future Learn is great. Yesterday I accessed a course on Shakespeare and his times which I’d half done a few years ago.
To my surprise I read a play I’d always avoided, Othello.

Glenda Jackson, asked recommend good reads mentioned War and Peace. I've had Les Miserables in my TBR stock since a grandson gave it to me at Christmas 2018. He’d assumed me I’d enjoy it. Now I’ve an opportunity to read it!

I’m also cleaning cupboards, slowly, one at a time, and sorting what I can only describe as a LOT of bits of paper, even more slowly ....

Shrub Mon 16-Mar-20 21:51:00

I'm just starting a course with FutureLearn www.futurelearn.com/
Food Science and Nutrition: From the Farm to You.
Lots of free courses on all sorts of subjects.

M0nica Mon 16-Mar-20 21:18:54

The two last classes of a course I am doing have been cancelled, but I still have the essay to write. That will keep me busy for a week. Then when I went to what was my last Tai Chi class today I asked the tutor for a recommendation of a YouTube or DVD to use and he promptly offered me his own, which is excellent because it will be his exercises in his way, so that is to be mastered, I will also look for a Pilates DVD to do similarly - then there is a great pile of books, a huge veg garden at the start of the season, a major family history project, several sewing and decorating projects.

Technologically, I am finally joining FaceBook and we are setting up Skype.

BlueSky Mon 16-Mar-20 09:14:18

Luckily nowadays we have technology to keep us company, TV, computer, phone you can always interact virtually with others. Definitely I'll have time to sort cupboards and wardrobes!

Liz08 Fri 13-Mar-20 19:19:50

I broke my ankle in the summer of 2018 and spent about 5 weeks in the house. I only went out to hospital appointments - because it was too painful going over uneven pavements in the wheelchair and speed bumps (which are everywhere around here) in the car.
After my initial annoyance with myself for being stupid, I decided to enjoy the temporary release from (self made) responsibilities and found that I was fine with my tablets (electronic & chemical), Kindle, TV Netflix and knitting and the weeks went by quicker than I thought they would. smile
Hope this helps someone .........

HazelGreen Fri 13-Mar-20 18:58:56

Yes greatly concerned over elderly mother who will be 100 this summer. She has a pair of live in carers who commute from Budapest. I live in a different country. In a way we hope to get the bug and be done with it but then we are both 'elderly' and other health issues. Thank God for springtime and brighter days and flowers and apple and cherry blossom about to open.

Harris27 Fri 13-Mar-20 18:31:51

Coped.

Harris27 Fri 13-Mar-20 18:31:40

I would of been so worried if my mum and mil were still here as I was carer for both I don’t know how I would of cooed.

Mirren Fri 13-Mar-20 18:27:58

I'm awaiting a delivery of wool and I plan to do what I love to do .... knit , knit , knit ( and sew , read) and I hope I'm allowed out into my very private garden to do some weeding .
I think the diet might go out of the window and I plan to enjoy some wine .

Seefah Fri 13-Mar-20 15:57:08

It’s a fantastic opportunity to process ones life. Remember , think , feel , reflect , contemplate and it helps to really figure out things and what you would/ could do in the future , given a chance.

AGAA4 Fri 13-Mar-20 15:19:02

Being in the high risk group I have decided to limit the places I go. U3A here has cancelled monthly meetings. I wont be using public transport or going anywhere that gets busy.
I am looking on it as a challenge. Today I am making soup for the freezer. I intend to have longer walks - quiet round here so wont see many people. An avid reader I can spend more time with my books.

Grandma70s Fri 13-Mar-20 15:15:41

I don’t see a problem. I live on my own, family miles away, can’t now go out alone. I am very rarely bored, because I have a telephone, an I Pad, a television, a radio, and I can still see to read.

Self-isolated people have never had it so good.

Maxblank Fri 13-Mar-20 15:07:01

Think of a good topic for here, and watch n read the repliesn

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 15:00:39

Yes agreed Chestnut. Lara we would love a link please?

Rutheleanor Fri 13-Mar-20 14:48:18

I have just started reading War and Peace. Perhaps this time I’ll get to the end!

Greengage Fri 13-Mar-20 13:49:31

Just carry on as usual! I live on my own and am used to spending a lot of time on my own. I am one of the lucky ones and am good in my own company.

whywhywhy Fri 13-Mar-20 13:26:32

I don’t see many people anyway and my family are all so busy. I will just sort out my wool/fabric stash and maybe knit myself some warm wool jumpers for next winter. Catch up on some programmes on TV. Cook some meals and freeze. Do a bit of much needed gardening. Finish a couple of watercolour paintings that have been bugging me. Phone some long distant friends and generally be glad not to have to go out. Bring it on!

Bobdoesit Fri 13-Mar-20 12:58:31

If the sun shines I will be happy to spend two weeks in the garden. Otherwise, books, Netflix, putting photos in albums (something I've been meaning to do for ages), a bit of spring cleaning, chatting to friends on social media.

Chestnut Fri 13-Mar-20 12:41:52

Lara can you put a link to the programme as I'm sure we'd love to hear it.

Alioop Fri 13-Mar-20 12:04:28

Getting 3 rooms plastered next wk so I'm getting my paint in hoping it dries out quickly & I can get started. Put the radio(& kettle) on and off I'll go!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Mar-20 11:56:25

Thank you @jacq10 That's really kind of you. Always good to know someone's listening and that we're representing you positively. Hopefully have some more Scottish grandparents join in the site. smile

Greyduster Fri 13-Mar-20 11:48:31

Our children seem to have decided we will self isolate already and, out of concern, have postponed either their visits to us, or our visits to them! We couldn’t be a lot more isolated than we already are as all our immediate friends have health issues of one sort or another, so they are self isolating too! But we have enough to eat for the moment (if I have to get “inventive” DH will have to grin and bear it or starve!), there’s t’internet, Face Time with family; books to read; lots of places to walk in the fresh air without coming into close contact with others; and good old Gransnet.......

polnan Fri 13-Mar-20 11:44:12

I am self isolated for 5 days due to gastroenteritis... hoping it stops soon

and I don`t have the energy or the mind set to do any of the stuff suggested here.

so for me it is practicing mind over matter and Ekhart