Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Kindle readers

(54 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Mon 16-Mar-20 14:42:56

I get all my books from the local library, terrific service, but am guessing the libraries will be shutting their doors fairly soon.
I have always refused offers from my family re gifts of a kindle as I love the feel, smell and turning over pages of actual books.
Now however feel is the time to buy one, but although I am an accomplished shopper generally, on this I am stumped, I don’t know anyone who has one.
I’m hoping some of you will be able to advise which one to buy, I use glasses to read, does this make a difference as to which one to buy?
Any advice most welcome, thanks?

Maybellex Tue 28-Apr-20 15:28:29

Just got an iPad and learning its idiosyncracies, that’s a word it can’t alter! Will have a look ant installing a kindle app.

Kalu Tue 28-Apr-20 13:43:25

I eventually stopped using my old kindle and got the kindle app on my iPad which gives me a back light to read without having to buy another tablet with this function.

It did take a while to get used to as opposed to reading a real book but I now enjoy the great selection of inexpensive books which I can download in a couple of clicks, even more so during self isolating.

Maybellex Tue 28-Apr-20 13:24:57

My local library Leicestershire lets you. Orriw books virtually using the BorrowBox app. Works well on my kindle fire you can have them for 3 weeks. The popular ones have waiting lists. Works very well

NanKate Tue 28-Apr-20 12:29:55

Thanks JackyB for the info. And all the other advice from you Kindle readers. ?

Elegran Tue 28-Apr-20 12:29:46

If you have a ticket for the public library, you can get an app for the Kindle which gives you acess to lots of library books that have been digitised to Kindle format e-books You can borrow (free) up to ten at a time for up to 3 weeks, and reserve any that are out to readers, to get when they are "returned".

JackyB Tue 28-Apr-20 10:29:05

Nankate, I'm not sure anyone has actually said that if you have a Kindle, unless you're a geek and can get into the deeper workings of it, you can only buy books to go on it from Amazon themselves.

There are other book reading/lending apps that you can download on to any device and read from there, but the advantage of the Kindle (well, the paperwhite, anyway) is that it doesn't reflect, which in most situations is a great advantage.

Daisyboots Tue 28-Apr-20 00:09:35

I bought my original Kindle 10 years ago and it has hundreds of books on it I bought a Kindle paperwhite a few years ago so as to be able to read at night without the need to have the light on. The only thing i would say against buying a Kindle Fire is that it is a tablet so a lot heavier than the normal Kindle and I found it heavy to hold when reading especially in bed.

Elegran Sun 26-Apr-20 21:11:54

Nankate My aunt uses my late husband's Kindle. He and I had shared the books on our Kindles, with both of them registered to me. Now, I send on books that I think my aunt would like (our tastes are similar) and if she wants a particular book she tells me and I get it.

If you get a Kindle Fire (which you will probably find is cheaper than a Paperwhite) you can also sign up to borrow library e-books in Kindle format from your local public library for it (or from any library you choose) via the Overdrive app. Your normal library ticket number is your membership number. www.overdrive.com/

NanKate Sun 26-Apr-20 20:42:01

Thanks all for your really useful info.

I like your idea Elegran of getting my son to buy it for me. He would have no fears of me using his Amazon account. He already orders quite a lot for us to save us the postage fee.

Jessity Sun 26-Apr-20 18:02:08

NanKate I’ve had a Kindle for ten years or so, would not be without it. I had a basic Kindle at first, the only one then available but now have a Paperwhite which I love, it has a built-in backlight which the original didn’t have. I find the ability to increase font size, line spacing, brightness, etc very good. Holiday reading is a cinch, just a Kindle with dozens of books on and the battery charge lasts ages, depending of course on usage.

I bought the cover from Amazon. Be careful when buying a cover to get one that fits not just the type of Kindle but also the “generation”.

I’m a member of Kindle Unlimited which gives you up to ten books at a time to borrow included in the monthly cost.

I also have the RB digital app on my iPad to borrow library books. There aren’t as many as are in the actual library but plenty to choose. Only downside is that reading them drains the iPad battery quite quickly.

Grandmafrench Sun 26-Apr-20 17:48:44

We have Kindle Paperwhites. No one is disturbed if late night/in the night reading is needed. We also have the App on our iPads.

The light is excellent and the type can be adjusted for comfortable reading.

Bought - with much relief - when we were regularly going to our holiday home in Greece and we sometimes had 24 plus books in the car....dragging all of them across Europe. That’s also some weight. Unless you are easily able to give away or pass on your books, what happens when your home just won’t store any more?

A book - the feel, the look, memories, will never be replaced by a Kindle. I can, for example, access any recipe I could ever need from my tablet, but cannot compare all that instant efficiency with the pleasure of sitting in my kitchen going back and forth through favourite cookery books.

However, being able to easily carry a veritable library on your Kindle, maybe in a handbag or keeping the one slim case beside your bed, in the bar, in the garden. Nothing to beat that. Buy one, you won’t regret it.

Elegran Sun 26-Apr-20 17:23:34

Nankate If your son buys a Kindle for you with his Amazon account and it is registered as his, he can buy the books you want and have them sent to it as though he is using it. However, that does mean that through your kindle you have potential access to his Amazon account as though you are him - that may or may not matter, depending on how you trust one another, but it is worth knowing the dangers involved.

Fiachna50 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:55:24

My Kindle is 8 years old but it really is handy and I like it as heavy books can be a difficulty for me. I go between physical books and Kindle. It's been a real boon just now.

fiorentina51 Sun 26-Apr-20 13:08:10

I have arthritis in my hands and found it difficult to hold a book for a length of time, particularly if it was a lengthy tome. My old, basic Kindle has been so useful. There are about 150 books on it at present. I uploaded 6 books to take with me on a recent holiday to New Zealand.
I do like the look and feel of a real book though.

GrandmaKT Sun 26-Apr-20 13:03:57

Hi NanKate. I may be wrong, but I don't think your son can buy kindle books for you (unless you live in the same household when you can have a shared library). He could give you Amazon vouchers as presents though, but you would have to join amazon to use them.
When buying a kindle, consider whether you want it just for reading books (paperwhite) or if you want to use it to look at websites, play games etc too (kindle fire). If you want to read outside in the sun, the paperwhite is much better.
Ebay is the best place for covers, but check carefully it is for the correct model.

LadyGracie Sun 26-Apr-20 12:37:21

I love my kindle but do prefer a real book. I read on my kindle while I’m knitting it’s so much easier than trying to hold a book open, I refuse to bend a book.

I have a Paperwhite, which means I can read in bed if DH wants to sleep and I can adjust the font size so I don’t have to wear my glasses.

NanKate Sun 26-Apr-20 11:54:00

AND I want one where I can swipe the page, not press the screen. Have any of you got the swiping model ?

NanKate Sun 26-Apr-20 11:43:09

Hi Kindle readers. I am considering buying a Kindle. As a novice where do you buy your books from ? My son is an Amazon Prime member would he be able to order the books for me or do I have to sign up to Amazon ?

Where did you get your covers from please ?

Any advice would be helpful.

BlueSapphire Wed 18-Mar-20 16:46:13

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, as well as a Kindle fire and have loads of books on them. Also downloaded the kindle app onto my phone so can read easily when out and about.
The Paperwhite is ideal for reading in sunlight, the font can be adjusted and it is so easy to use.

Floradora9 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:49:43

I agree the kindle paperwhite is the best . I can read it in bright sunlight or shade even with the light off . I havr Amazon Prime so I can borrow books from them as I can from the library . If I am really in need of something new I rejoin Kindle Unlimited and they have thousand to read .

jusnoneed Tue 17-Mar-20 19:03:38

I have a kindle paperwhite (very light) and an iPad which has it's own app for Apple books.
I get an email daily from website called Bookbub which gives offers on books for Kindle and iPad, and also look on Amazon. I mainly load free books.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-Mar-20 18:41:35

pittcity the app for magazine download is rb digital saves a fortune on magazines, did take a bit of getting used to though.

Tweedle24 Tue 17-Mar-20 18:15:04

I love my Paperwhite too. I have a cover with a hinge so that it opens like a book and feels more like one. Certainly lighter to carry on an aeroplane (only relevant if there are any aeroplanes left after the virus has passed).

M0nica Tue 17-Mar-20 17:36:12

Horses for courses. My Kindle fits in my handbag so I am never without reading matter on the train or in the surgery, r anywhere that requires a wait.

Not only can you change the font size, you can choose the specific font and the line spacing. I have a heap of about 20 books to read over the next 12 weeks and my Kindle will probably not see the light of day.

Davidhs Mon 16-Mar-20 19:43:22

The big advantage is portability, it will last for several days much longer than a tablet on one charge, there are plenty of free books and you can download anywhere that has a mobile or WIFI signal. Mine is at least 10yrs old and never misses a beat