Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you like to see on Gransnet?

(77 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Mar-20 15:42:55

Seeing as most of us will be spending a lot more time indoors, and hopefully chatting on Gransnet grin, is there anything you'd like to see more of? Would more conversation starters like those we did during Lurkers' Week give those who need it a distraction from talking about the virus? Could we host a 'skillshare' where gransnetters can post a video of themselves teaching a skill? Would you like to have a daily exercise video? Anything else you can think of or suggest we will happily take a look into and see what we can do? It's a pretty rubbish time for most of us so anything we can do together to make our daily lives easier or just a little nicer, please let us know. smile

Tulabelle Wed 06-May-20 19:42:48

I like the idea of the exercise video - we're not all really up to the rigours of Joe Wicks though ?. One of those that gets you slightly out of breath, makes you stretch your muscles and remain flexible. I also like the relaxation and meditation ideas. I meditate using the free stuff on the Insight Timer app. Tai Chi is good for strength, flexibility and relaxation.

Pittcity Sun 26-Apr-20 09:58:15

"How to..." tutorials on basic technology.
We are all trying new ways of communicating and would love to know which button to press.
Could banks, pharmacies etc be worked with explaining their apps?

Bellanonna Thu 09-Apr-20 17:48:47

Nothing from Lara since 2nd April. We are waiting, Lara

RiaBrown Thu 09-Apr-20 14:20:32

Hello GransNet.. nice to see you online .. I saw an advert on tv and I thought I would check you out! Really nice to be a member .. happy Easter Weekend and wanted to know how to occupy my spare time after retirement

RiaBrown Thu 09-Apr-20 14:18:58

After 25 years at work and retirement - what is suggesting to stop constantly sitting at home and having a lot of spare time

FarNorth Sat 04-Apr-20 20:32:00

I'd like to see a search function that actually works, on GN.

Kndrsmt Fri 03-Apr-20 17:06:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Apr-20 16:50:19

Greater emphasis on the ‘over 50’s’ bit which is what comes up in the google descriptor - a lot of us in our fifties are not grandparents but with young adult children feel too old for the weaning and parenting chat on eg Mumsnet.

Harris27 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:01:36

Like that idea sea cliff I’m struggling with the same old recipes anything to help in these miserable worrying times. Think food is a good pick me up.

Gemini17892 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:57:14

Another exercise video ? Nooooooooooooo!

Rufus2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:52:10

Why not start a thread Grandad
Have you looked at the"Good Evening xxxday," thread? It's quite erudite and "Unisex"
You'll be most welcome! smile
Grandad Rufus2

Cheers and Good Health. wine

Bellanonna Fri 03-Apr-20 09:36:46

I think there will always be a predominance of females simply because women join things more than men tend to. I’m sure there are prehistoric reasons for this.
The forum name is punchy and it shows the first letters of grandparent anyway. Men have always been welcome on here especially those who contribute in a positive way to discussions. Why not start a thread Grandad1943?

Grandad1943 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:58:29

What would I wish to see on Gransnet?

A far greater male presence on the forum brought about by a greater encouragement by the GM management. A change of name from Gransnet to Grandparents net or similar could be a great start.

Greater diversity would bring a far better range of topics discussed, a larger membership which could bring greater advertising revenue.

It's a lively forum which could be made even better.

What's not to like?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Apr-20 17:08:59

The speech bubble idea is great. But we would have some licensing copyright issues so would be tricky... hmm Hopefully we'll have some more home exercise content/videos up soon!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Apr-20 17:07:20

Sorry to disappoint @shandi. We asked if they wanted to be on the homepage but they were all surprisingly reticent... grin

Gill61 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:25:12

Sudoku or keijo

shandi6570 Tue 31-Mar-20 18:46:00

Well the front page photo this week is a definite improvement on the two previous ones, thank you GNHQ, even though it is not the hunky fireman some of us were hoping for. ?

Bellanonna Tue 31-Mar-20 13:22:55

Lara ??

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-20 23:04:41

Could we please have a thread dedicated to those who are worried that they may be displaying symptoms?

I've picked up on two or three people on different threads who are anxious but it would be so much easier to offer support if we knew where to find them.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:54:29

After today’s puzzle effort at maths I think that’s the skill I need to learn.

Only joking -

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 16:01:16

One of my young relatives doing a PhD living with three others is in lock down in London and they are teaching each other a new skill.

I wouldn’t mind doing that. I’m sure there are lots of skills out there amongst us. I would love to do something cerebral to keep the brain active. Others might fancy something creative etc.

gillybob Sat 28-Mar-20 11:03:37

Oh I love NanKates idea of the photo from the news and we all get to fill in the speech bubble. HQ could judge the funniest.

Rufus2 Sat 28-Mar-20 08:48:27

Male strippers!!!

Yorksherlass Have you tried stripping, formatting your hard-drive? grin

MawB Fri 27-Mar-20 17:15:40

Looks like you might have a wait ananimous hmm

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 15:53:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.