Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Booooored

(135 Posts)
CathTheWise Wed 25-Mar-20 06:58:30

Self-isolation was a nice thing for me from the very beginning and I had lots of things to do around the house but now it seems like there is nothing to do for me as all the cleanings, re-organazings and other things are done.
What are you doing while isolating?

timetogo2016 Thu 28-May-20 10:10:14

I am not looking forward to going back to what we know as the norm.
I am walking everyday and the air is so much clearer/healthier.
And i have noticed LOADS more vehicles on the roads recently, back to a poluted planet.

annodomini Thu 28-May-20 10:04:33

BBbevan, I recognise the essay writing advice you received. I had the same advice on public speaking and it stood me in very good stead when I was involved in local politics.

Elegran Thu 28-May-20 09:50:00

There are a lot of posts recently promoting essay-writing sites. They seem to be not just advice sites, but links to "professional" writers who will produce a complete essay for you to hand in for grading.

Is it just me, or do other people consider them the equivalent of "degrees for sale" and every bit as fraudulent, not to say downright dangerous if they help people get qualifications they don't deserve?

Another equivalent is the recent spate of links to sites who will sell you fake documents of every kind with no questions asked. Do we look like international criminals who need fake passports and credentials?

BBbevan Thu 28-May-20 09:30:21

When I was doing a degree ,my tutor said scholarship essay writing is like this
Say what you are going to say.
Say it with proof and appropriate quotes
Then say what you have said

Is it still the same jessicachest ?

downtoearth Thu 28-May-20 08:41:12

Reported

jessicachest Thu 28-May-20 04:42:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

michellestoclet Wed 01-Apr-20 14:36:48

I've decided to learn how to use my technology devices. I've been doing sessions with a university student who is great, she controls my computer/phone and shows me how to use and set up different things. Feel much more independent. I keep asking my kids for advice but now I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. Happy to refer her to anyone interested she's also very cheap smile

Patsy70 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:03:52

I am sure she'll remember you, MJP1, especially as you are Skyping. My children & grandchildren have been facetiming me, and it is great. I had a cookery session with my 11 year old granddaughter, both making rolls and buns. It was a great success. I realise you can't do this with your little one, but maybe you could read her a story or make up a game to entertain her? Think positively if you can, or depression will set in. flowers

MJP1 Mon 30-Mar-20 17:00:58

My biggest worry in all this is that my 13 month old granddaughter won’t remember me and won’t be happy to be left with me when this is all over and I resume my Monday daycare duties. We do Skype but she’s very lively and wriggly and doesn’t sit still for more than a minute and I feel self conscious with them sitting on their sofa and me on mine trying to act as if this is normal! Words of reassurance welcome!

Kupari45 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:47:53

Just come back from walking our dog on Embleton Bay beach.
We walk a mile down a hill and I'm on the beach. Just saw two people in the distance. However the tide was coming in and the dog loved running in the sea. Yes I know i'm fortunate I can go for a walk and not see anyone else.
However I really miss seeing my friends, and the ladies I meet when volunteering . I think when we finally revert back to our normal lives ( Whenever that is) I for one will appreciate the every day contact with friends.
However my home has never looked so tidy, but I'm running out of jobs !

Gemini17892 Mon 30-Mar-20 15:37:23

Undecided...I’m sure I saw a You Tube video showing you how to make a crochet hook out of a pencil !

M0nica Mon 30-Mar-20 15:30:40

I am finding the day is being broken up by phone calls to and from friends and family. I rang DiL's mother after lunch. A Yorkshire lady, her phone calls are usually brief and functional. Today we chatted for 40 minutes shock smile

DD, another one seeing it out on her own, was on the phone for over an hour yesterday.

Elegran Mon 30-Mar-20 10:06:07

Watching this will fill up a couple of minutes.
www.facebook.com/bbcearth/videos/3213432315356969/
Awww!

annep1 Mon 30-Mar-20 05:59:38

Contact with people is now more or less just hello how is everyone. Not much to say here either Bluebelle
I have hobbies and I enjoy my own company but not all the time.

Harris27 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:10:42

Abnuyc123 fab!

Pittcity Sun 29-Mar-20 22:03:04

Go ahead and share Mamacaz. We need to laugh!

lucky77 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:47:58

How about entering competitions, there is a great website called www.loquax.co.uk, lists all the competitions running in the UK, some of you may use it already, but for those of you who don't it's a fun hobby. I have been using it for nearly 20 years and have won a lot of prizes.

This is their bio:
Launched in 1998 by Jason Dale and Kirsty Darbyshire, Loquax is the UK's oldest online competition portal. Over 22 years our site has listed hundreds of thousands of UK competitions and helped plenty of people win thousands of prizes including cash, holidays and cars.

Join our winners by entering competitions via our extensive user generated listings. You will find competitions organised by date added, closing date, prize type and entry type. We cover everything from ITV competitions to win a house raffles phone-ins to magazine giveaways.

Loquax is free to use - register to have access to all the listings, our forum and our fabulous free competition tracker. This lets you keep a tab on what you've entered!

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 20:34:35

undecided and ....
I found YouTube excellent, probably easier than following a book, that is how I taught myself last year.
Mind you, it's early days, I can only do two stitches so far.

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 20:32:22

Bluebelle keep posting on GN and joining in.
I had a bit of a downer the other day but parts of GN have been uplifting today.

undecided if you are really stuck, PM me, I may have a couple of spares

MamaCaz Sun 29-Mar-20 20:31:44

Pittcity
I've just fed the ducks!

Love it?
Can I share that on Facebook?

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 20:28:58

What size do you need undecided?

You could try Deramores or Blacksheep or another online yarn firm. Shirley's Wools are very helpful too.

mcem Sun 29-Mar-20 20:27:56

We're using WhatsApp to send jokes, videos and quizzes. Only family members currently at work are keyworkers of 19 and 21. NHS and Openreach.

mcem Sun 29-Mar-20 20:24:05

I may have some spares. If you pm the sizes you need I'll happily post them if poss.

MawB Sun 29-Mar-20 20:04:02

Undecided have you tried your local Facebook page?
There is bound to be somebody with crochet hooks or knitting needles who could get them to,you.
Or give us an idea of your area and anybody near enough might pm you and help out.

BlueBelle Sun 29-Mar-20 20:01:39

Please don’t Soniah I m tired just reading it
I m bored out my head living in a town there is not so many solitary walks to go on there’s my beach but it’s been freezing really really cold living alone there’s no contact no conversation no touch I message phone and email friends and family but there’s only so much to talk about when nobodies done anything
I set some seeds that took half an hour it’s way too cold and blowing a gale to do any work in the garden, grandkids are all grown so no little ones to make things for or engage with
So yes this normally very positive hard worker is doing her head in with boredom
I never been motivated to work for myself always best when doing things for others
Sorry for moan but that’s it really