Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Talk to me about PayPal.

(23 Posts)
kittylester Mon 30-Mar-20 18:50:22

Dh and I both had Paypal accounts (probably still do) yonks ago but haven't felt the need to use one for ages.

Today, I was trying to buy the girls (dds) a little present and the only way to pay was PayPal.

Do you use PayPal?

rosenoir Mon 30-Mar-20 18:51:48

I use it to pay for everything online as I like the protection it gives.

rosecarmel Mon 30-Mar-20 18:55:08

I only use PayPal for eBay- I used it one other time to make a purchase online from a department store, which involved a return and it was a nightmare- Unlike making returns on eBay, where the process is easy-

crazyH Mon 30-Mar-20 18:55:10

Yes I do - I have used PayPal to send money to family in Canada.

Missfoodlove Mon 30-Mar-20 18:55:33

PayPal is a really safe method of payment, be aware any emails they send you will always state your name!
If it says “ Dear Customer” delete!

Marydoll Mon 30-Mar-20 18:57:20

I use it all the time for Ebay. I also used it last week to buy a gift from Etsy.

Riverwalk Mon 30-Mar-20 18:57:57

I use it occasionally e.g. if ordering online from Boden it's via Paypal.

In the past when trying out Deliveroo that also required Paypal.

All good. smile

rosecarmel Mon 30-Mar-20 18:58:47

Yes, also used it for etsy without issue-

M0nica Mon 30-Mar-20 19:02:49

Use it a lot, but only for small items. Anything over £100 goes directly on a credit card. The reason is that if anything goes wrong and the supplier refuses to return your money, there is nothing you can do because your contract is deemed to be with PayPal not the supplier.

At least that is how I remember it from a thread on GN not that long ago.

annodomini Mon 30-Mar-20 19:05:13

I use it whenever an online retailer accepts it, and many do so nowadays. Today I used it for vegetables, etc from a van-based retailer.

Chewbacca Mon 30-Mar-20 19:06:00

Another using it for EBay here. I think I used it to pay for theatre tickets too. You can set up an extra level of security so that it sends you a text message, with a one off code, that you use before making any transaction. Bit of a faff but it gives peace of mind.

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 19:07:37

I absolutely do. Quick, easy and moreover, safe as long as you pay careful attention to the rules.

fatgran57 Tue 31-Mar-20 01:22:03

We always use it if possible.

Very safe and they will actually refund your postage on any returned items up to a certain amount over the year.

We have claimed back a lot of postage so far.

Husband had a dispute with a seller - was scammed really, and went through the report process and Paypal refunded all his money.

We are very happy to use Paypal.

Fiachna50 Tue 31-Mar-20 01:33:07

Im in the minority, I prefer to use my credit card for online payments. Im wary of Paypal. I don't think there is the same protection if something goes wrong.

SueH49 Tue 31-Mar-20 01:55:02

I use it whenever it is offered. Have never had a problem wit getting a refund although only had a couple of occasions when that has been needed. It is my preferred method of payment.

Coolgran65 Tue 31-Mar-20 02:08:46

I use PayPal where possible. If you are dissatisfied with a provider or have an Issue they are very good about refunding.

Txquiltz Tue 31-Mar-20 02:57:35

Had not used in years and suddenly got charged for three Luis Vitton handbags. PayPal agreed I had not purchased them, but took weeks to get refund. Needless to say, I closed the account.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Mar-20 04:37:41

I use it for eBay and have used it for a few other small purchases and have sent money overseas but don’t use it as much as I could

Pittcity Tue 31-Mar-20 09:44:33

I like it because the retailer doesn't get your card details.

grandMattie Tue 31-Mar-20 09:48:53

I use paypal. I have been reliably told that they are the debit equivalent of a credit card regarding safety and insurance. so I always try to useit if I can.

michellestoclet Wed 01-Apr-20 14:33:56

Hi! I use Paypal for online payments, a couple of times I called them to dispute a transaction and they are a great mediator.

rockgran Wed 01-Apr-20 15:34:17

I always use Paypal if it is in the payment options. Saves filling details in.

merlotgran Wed 01-Apr-20 15:40:07

I use PayPal for anything that offers is as an option.