Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where's the Home Secretary?

(54 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 08-Apr-20 11:30:35

I haven't had sight nor sound of Priti Patel, is she self-isolating?

It's extraordinary that the home secretary has nothing to say on policing, lockdown, NHS staff etc.

Pittcity Sat 11-Apr-20 15:59:05

She's giving the Downing Street briefing today at 4pm.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 18:39:42

Talk Radio ??????
Was that instead of appearing at the Select Committee? She really is an embarrassment isn’t she ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Apr-20 17:49:40

She has been on Talk Radio this afternoon apparently

trisher Thu 09-Apr-20 13:21:18

No it seems she wants others in the Home Office to answer for her. www.politicshome.com/news/article/priti-patel-in-row-with-labours-yvette-cooper-over-adversarial-demand-to-face-committee-grilling-on-coronavirus

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:40:52

4 times she has refused to turn up and answer questions.

The select committees are one if the star performers in parliament and as cross party they can ask questions in a detailed and forensic fashion.

Patel isn’t up to it is she?

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 12:35:47

That’s a spin by the HO - PP keeps on refusing to appear before the Select Committee. Cooper is getting pretty cross about it. Given Parliament is not sitting, appearing before the SC at this time, is the least she should do. She’s refusing imo because it will be a car crash for her. She is beyond all doubt completely useless

maddyone Thu 09-Apr-20 11:03:28

Wherever she is, I hope she and everyone else, stays safe.

Cunco Wed 08-Apr-20 21:56:00

It seems that the Home Secretary is working as you might expect. The report into allegations of bullying is due shortly so presumably she is keeping a low profile until it is published.

'The Guardian' is running a story that she has been avoiding a public meeting with the Home Office select committee which concludes with:

'Home Office sources said they had offered the committee access to classified and operationally sensitive briefings by ministers and officials, and pointed out that Patel had offered to appear at the first mutually convenient date.'

NotTooOld Wed 08-Apr-20 21:37:04

Can't say I've missed Priti Patel either. I do think the Chancellor does a good job of the briefing. He's very articulate and confident. Matt Hancock is not bad either but Dominic Raab seems slightly diffident. I don't know why as he holds a black belt in judo (or was it karate?) apparently.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 19:25:05

I would book a trip to Argate, but it's right next to the dustbins.

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 19:21:06

We’re thinking of going glamping in the spare room during this shutdown. It’ll be a change of scene.

I hadn’t missed Priti Patel, either.

Curlywhirly Wed 08-Apr-20 19:08:25

It could be that Priti Patel has been told to keep a low profile after the recent bullying accusations. I certainly think it's odd that she has been missing from the briefings, there's obviously something not right.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 08-Apr-20 18:49:03

callistemon we too are moving to our Summer residence (downstairs) from our Winter (upstairs) residence.
When I say ‘we’ I of course mean that the servants are busy as little bumble bees moving bedding etc. God Bless them very one....

Daisymae Wed 08-Apr-20 17:20:28

Actually I can't remember one female member of the government having anything to say recently. Or have I missed something?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 17:15:14

We are at present using our summer residence.

Coincidentally, Hetty, it is also our winter residence.
And Spring and Autumn.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 17:14:08

Hetty58 well, it was hot today for sure
I was 'glowing' as I did some gardening.

annodomini Wed 08-Apr-20 17:08:06

Home Secretary might be expected to share the fronting of the daily briefing. Can't imagine why she isn't. hmm Right now we have the Chancellor who is by far the most articulate of the top ministers.

Hetty58 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:39:02

Callistemon, one's country residence is, by tradition, used in the summer months. The weather suggests that it's the right place to be.

Pittcity Wed 08-Apr-20 16:34:39

DD lives in her constituency. I'll ask if she's seen her in the Tesco queue.

trisher Wed 08-Apr-20 15:41:39

Perhaps she is just overwhelmed at the thought that she could justify shutting us down and stopping anyone coming in (be careful what you wish for!) Alternatively maybe she' just realised how much the NHS and care services depend on immigrants so she's keeping quiet.
JRM is busy counting cash and wondering what he can asset strip next.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 15:19:28

Actually, I hadn't missed Priti until you said.
Very remiss of me

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 15:18:26

Perhaps Nanny has incarcerated one.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 15:17:13

Perhaps he was trapped in Somerset and thought he shouldn't travel suzie

Zoom?

EllanVannin Wed 08-Apr-20 14:15:55

China are used to a police state, we're not and I think it had a lot to do with not locking down earlier because of retaining the liberty of its people. Imagine how it would have been ? Some won't even do it now.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 13:51:59

Sorry Chest first part of my post was to Call