Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do any of you still "knock up" ( puff pastry!) And I don't mean make!

(39 Posts)
phoenix Fri 10-Apr-20 15:32:22

Hello all, good wishes to you.

Have just finished making a chicken pie for tonight's supper (polishes halo) using bought puff pastry blush (hands halo back) in my defence, buying it ready made means I don't deplete the apparently dwindling flour stocks (reclaims halo) grin

Anyway, I've always been in the habit of going round the rim of the pie with a knife, sideways on confused sort of putting small cuts/debts into it to (supposedly) help it to "puff up"

Do you do this, or is it only me?

PS I follow this with creating a scalloped edge with the handle of a teaspoon, then making pastry leaves to go in the middle, and even a tassle, on occasions! Looks impressive, can distract from the actual quality of the pie! blush

Lynnipinny Sat 11-Apr-20 10:18:10

I would think about a month would be fine for pastry in the freezer.

Missfoodlove Sat 11-Apr-20 10:14:33

Always! I do also make my own Rough puff pastry.
The James Martin sausage roll is insanely good!
I made it on Thursday.
You can always make it with shop bought puff pastry.

shysal Sat 11-Apr-20 09:50:04

Ever since I was taught at school I have knocked up the edges of the pastry on a pie. I think it gives a professional looking finish. Also use the offcuts to make leaf decorations. There is only me to see and eat the pies but I enjoy baking and don't mind the extra effort.

grannypiper Sat 11-Apr-20 09:48:33

How can you make a pie without putting pastrty leaves in the middle

Iam64 Sat 11-Apr-20 09:23:12

Oh can you freeze milk? My milk and eggs excess is because I bought our usual during a (very scary) supermarket raid. Later, I managed to become a new customer with our local farm, they make their own butter and deliver it with their free range eggs and delicious milk, which comes in proper glass bottles. Egg Custard it is then.
I'm sewing as well
Who knew we could rediscover some positive domestic joys in these dark days

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 09:18:45

We have a lot of milk, I ordered the usual amount then saw the organic was on offer so ordered that as well, not instead.
It's in the freezer.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 09:17:11

I had to use up overripe bananas so we have cake and biscuits, waste not want not.

Have I enough eggs for a custard tart? I don't think DH likes mine that much, he prefers the ones from M&S.

Iam64 Sat 11-Apr-20 09:12:13

We have more eggs than usual because I double ordered. We've had some delicious omelettes and I've baked fruit cake and banana bread. We are both putting weight on because its a bit like every day is Boxing Day. Lazy start, good long walk, and three proper meals a day plus cake.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 08:57:54

Yes, it is.
I could make an egg custard tart, a blackcurrant tart and jam tarts with the leftovers, thank you for reminding me! grin

And watch the pounds pile on!!

Iam64 Sat 11-Apr-20 08:53:31

Callistemon, isn't jam tart, or specially those individual jam tarts, what we make with left over pastry?

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 22:31:14

I feel in the mood for a jam tart, like my Mum used to make.
Perhaps on Easter Sunday.

Iam64 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:29:02

Sounds delicious Phoenix. I enjoy making shortcrust pastry, I always buy puff pastry. I love a pie - in fact will make one tomorrow.
Fish for us this evening. I find some traditions hard to let go of. A pie will be a cheering thing as we spend another evening in lock down

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 22:24:24

It probably says use within one month of freezing but I have used it after much longer than that.

Cabbie21 Fri 10-Apr-20 20:07:32

Does anyone know how long frozen pastry will keep? I have some which has been in the freezer for months. I think it probably needs throwing out but I am always reluctant to waste any food, especially now.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 19:34:00

I'd forgotten about the frozen fat method JuliaM, I think the last time I made that was in high school domestic science lessons! I buy ready rolled pastry these days, mines like leather!

JuliaM Fri 10-Apr-20 19:16:50

I always knock up my pie edges too, but sometimes cheat and make quick puff pastry where you freeze the butter or Margarine block first, then grate it like cheese into the flour before going straight to the rolling and folding stage, itssomethi gthat we were taught in school in the early 70s, and it does work quite well for using on every day family recipes.

travelsafar Fri 10-Apr-20 18:38:32

We rarely eat pie nowadays. DH get indigestion and i will only eat homemade one as i once ate a shop bought steak pie and bit into a large lump of gristle which made me feel sick!! Tonight being Good Friday Ihad salmon and cue sandwiches, DH had tuna and cue. We have both been very busy, me in the garden, DH decorating and neither of us wanted much to eat. I did offer to make Hot Cross Buns this morning but again the indigestion problem arises so i didnt.

eazybee Fri 10-Apr-20 18:07:40

Yes always; I quite enjoy doing it, and it helps the 'lid' meld withe the strips on the rim of the pie dish. I make leaves too.

Gaunt47 Fri 10-Apr-20 17:56:48

I wish I could make pastry, but there's still no flour in the shops. sad

jacq10 Fri 10-Apr-20 17:36:53

Always do the "knocking up" with pastry but using my thumb not teaspoon! Just doing what my mum used to do. She probably hadn't time to look for teaspoon - she was always a bit of a "hasher" but a great cook. I also do the pastry leaves down to veining them which used to be the kids job.

grannylyn65 Fri 10-Apr-20 17:25:12

Are you veggie Mum ?

mumofmadboys Fri 10-Apr-20 17:12:24

Eating up yesterday's Crispy mushroom layer made with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, nuts and breadcrumbs. Had it with green beans yesterday. Today with spinach

SuzannahM Fri 10-Apr-20 17:05:21

We're not having fish either - I've made steak and mushroom pudding with the steak and mushroom we had left over from Wednesday. I've never made a suet pudding in the slow cooker before so it might end up as just steak and mushroom again smile

Puff pastry scares me blush

Daddima Fri 10-Apr-20 16:52:13

Red snapper for me, with a tomato & cream sauce, roast and mashed potatoes and green beans.

Last night was fish fingers, potato waffles and peas.

merlotgran Fri 10-Apr-20 16:49:39

We're having fish pie grin

Potato not pastry though.