Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Click and collect

(11 Posts)
BlueSky Thu 23-Apr-20 09:24:08

Even the Click & Collect are hard to come by! I think a lot of people have to resort to the corner shop to avoid the nightmarish queues of the supermarkets!

Willow500 Thu 23-Apr-20 06:59:18

The first click & collect I did I mistakenly thought it was from the Sainsburys 9 miles away only to find when we got there and no record could be found of the order it was actually a store 20 miles in the opposite direction hmm blush. The first one was pretty disorganised - the van was parked in the disabled bays area in the middle of the car park so we had to pull up in one (even though we are not disabled) with people passing all the time. When we finally got to the correct store it was much more orderly with a van parked at the side of the car park and barriers round it. The man lifted the bags directly into the boot for us. Unfortunately I've not been able to get another slot with them. I do have one with Morrisons next week so we'll see how that goes!

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 18:44:58

I have a separate shelf or shelves in the fridge for new items and part of an overflow cupboard for new tins and packets. Leave them for at least 72 hours (even the chocolate!).

The only items I wash are the milk bottles. I found some rather old sterilising tablets at the back of the cupboard so I use those.

We brought the shopping in wearing gloves then left the bags in the garage.

Floradora9 Wed 22-Apr-20 18:36:46

Asda put the bags in your boot for you . By the way do you disinfect your shopping once you get it home ? I leave anything like tins for two days on a table. Anything for the fridge gets wiped down with an ani bacterial wipe . I leave the bags in the sun for a couple of days too .

SueDonim Wed 22-Apr-20 13:10:35

I picked up my first C&C yesterday from Sainsbury’s. I had to press a button on a panel like you get on parking machines to let them know I was there. A young chap brought the goods bagged up in crates on a low loader trolley thing. He then left and I put the bags in my car myself. It was minimal contact and there was no queue, either.

Charleygirl5 Wed 22-Apr-20 13:08:26

I drive to Argos to pick up items from Amazon and it is so spacious there is plenty of room for social distancing. I have done it once with no problems and having a blue badge my car was parked close by. Simples.

netflixfan Wed 22-Apr-20 13:06:30

Oh very encouraging!!! Thanks xx

Tangerine Wed 22-Apr-20 13:02:14

Yes, very safe. Good luck!

LadyGracie Wed 22-Apr-20 12:51:06

You’re in your car all the time. Just speak through your open window.

LadyGracie Wed 22-Apr-20 12:50:06

I’ve done it once, you wait in a queue when it’s your turn you give your name, You open your boot, they put the shopping in and you’re good to go.

netflixfan Wed 22-Apr-20 12:41:06

Is it safe? Do you meet other shoppers when you pick up your grocery order from eg Asda? Anyone tried it during these scary times?