Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Over 70s

(243 Posts)
Issy Fri 24-Apr-20 11:58:04

Anyone happy to stay in lockdown for 12 to 18 months?

Rosalyn69 Sun 26-Apr-20 13:27:49

I concur with Annecan.
This is not a communist state and I will not stay indoors for 12 months. If a lot of people are happy to never go out again that’s their choice but I still have some living left to do and it’s not hunkered down in some bunker.

Oopsminty Sun 26-Apr-20 13:30:07

I ll be the one in danger not you as you ll still be in your house

So you agree you may be in danger of contracting the virus.

As you've been told you may well be asymptomatic. You could be carrying the virus.

Who do you think will help you if you get severe symptoms, ( quite possible) and need medical care?

My son and niece, that's who. And thousands of other medical staff from ambulance crews, nurses, doctors, cleaners etc etc. And they will then be in danger thanks to you.

Many of these people have young families and every day go to work in hospitals dealing with people who have been infected by others

I don't want to be stuck in for months. I want to see my grandchildren.

But I have been told heartbreaking stories of care in ICU with people at end of life and young nurses holding hands of the dying.

I think we have to look beyond ourselves at this time

NfkDumpling Sun 26-Apr-20 13:32:18

Sparklefizz there isn’t much point in staying in then if it can come in anyway. Except that we’ve been dealing with everything coming in as per the instructions to either wash or leave for 72 hours.

Greciangirl Sun 26-Apr-20 14:05:07

No, I certainly would not be happy.
I’ll take my chances, if necessary.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Apr-20 14:11:14

I'm so sick of hearing people say 'I'll take my chances'! You'll also be taking risks - with other people's lives, won't you?

Elegran Sun 26-Apr-20 14:40:49

The first wave of the Spanish flu in 1918 killed 3 to 5 million. The second wave killed 20 to 50 million.

If those who are "ready to take their chances" mingle together and with their friends and family and neighbours and fellow shoppers too soon, become infected with the coronavirus, and each hand it on to several others, they will contribute to spreading it wide just as the second wave of the 1918 virus spread - a multiplication of ten times the first wave that we have just experienced.

All the effort that has been taken to slow the spread and flatten the curve, will have been wasted, and we will get the same effect as if we had just not bothered to take any precautions and just left it to rampage straightand man ICU beds and equipment, care for and treat the worst patients, or prioritise the manning of essential services. We'll just need to dig lots of mass graves ready to fork-lift the bodies into, including those who starve without suppplies getting to them.

Elegran Sun 26-Apr-20 14:46:07

Sorry. When I let go of the mouse to click to send the previous post, it twitched and deleted half a sentence, Should read "and just left it to rampage straight through, and not tried to "flatten the curve" or to acquire and man ICU beds and equipment, care for and treat the worst patients, or prioritise the manning of essential services. "

Sparklefizz Sun 26-Apr-20 14:47:26

NfkDumpling there isn’t much point in staying in then if it can come in anyway. Except that we’ve been dealing with everything coming in as per the instructions to either wash or leave for 72 hours.

Yes, it can come in anyway, but every single thing you do to reduce the risk is going to help. Staying in will definitely help. You are washing or quarantining everything that comes into the house, so you're doing what you can.

BlueBelle Sun 26-Apr-20 14:48:27

I have complied completely with all that has been asked of me oopsminty I have not seen my grandkids I ve not seen friends I have stayed in my house I have not gone to the shops
I have gone on a short walk or cycle ride ALONE. and where there are no congregations of people indeed very very solo walks I have done all that for two months what I am saying is WHEN the lockdown is over and people are allowed to revert to some kind of normality I will not stay on lockdown because I’m over 70
I am not bucking the trend, I m not going against advice, I am not a carrier or a sufferer thankfully but I don’t consider I will be treated any differently to the rest of society just because I m 75
I m not a maverick or looking to be anti establishment but I m not being kept in a glass bubble when everyone else is back to work and opening up shops etc That’s all

BlueBelle Sun 26-Apr-20 14:51:57

If the general lockdown stays for another month or through the summer I ll continue to complain,y but I m not staying in just because of my age I’d the rest of society is out and about
Far more important is they the government is now thonking about guarenting people comeing in on planes thinking about it that should have happened two months ago rant over

BlueBelle Sun 26-Apr-20 14:52:36

Comply not complain on second row

Oopsminty Sun 26-Apr-20 14:54:34

I am not a carrier

How on earth do you know, BlueBelle?

It's pointless even discussing it

* I don’t consider I will be treated any differently to the rest of society just because I m 75*

At 75 the virus will treat you differently though

Rosalyn69 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:24:03

I’ll happily carry a card saying do not treat and do not resuscitate so I’ll still be saving the NHS although I’m not sure what we are saving it for.
And think of the economy and the millions out of work and no money.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:39:50

BlueBelle ' I m not staying in just because of my age'. At your age you are far more likely to die from the virus.

Rosalyn69, if you were to collapse somewhere, the ambulance crew would try to resuscitate you. It's their job. They wouldn't be faffing around looking for a card.

allium Sun 26-Apr-20 15:45:44

No.

Sussexborn Sun 26-Apr-20 16:02:50

Was going to say the same Hetty58. A young nurse was interviewed saying that virus patients keep saying “but I only ..,,,.” as they struggle with every breath.

Perhaps these people should have an I tattooed on their forehead so the ambulance crew can just push them into the gutter and go on to deal with a person who deserves their help.

Elegran Sun 26-Apr-20 16:10:42

Rosalyn69 while someone is searching your pockets for that card that says "Do not resuscitate", you will be coughing and spluttering all over them - passing on the virus to yet another person or two. THAT is why you should comply with staying in and keeping your distance.

Get it written in indelible ink across your forehead.

BlueBelle Sun 26-Apr-20 17:55:11

how do you know Bluebelle because I haven’t been anywhere oopsminty to catch it like everybody else who has complied with the lockdown I have followed ALL guidelines

Hetty58 I’ll say it again I have complied with all the rules so far and have no thought of not complying BUT if the lockdown is ended for everyone else except the over 70 s I will probably take my chance and try and start some semblance of normality We cannot stay in for ever

I can’t say it any clearer I HAVE FOLLOWED ALL the government recommendations and will continue to do so but I don’t see myself going on this way for ever
Do you ?

BlueBelle Sun 26-Apr-20 17:59:48

The question in the original post was
Anyone happy to stay in lockdown for 12 to 18 months?
My answers were to that not about now or last month or even maybe next month
My posts have been taken out of context I think

Rosalyn69 Sun 26-Apr-20 18:23:23

I don’t plan on going out if I have active symptoms or feel unwell and I wasn’t aware that in the symptomless phase one was likely to collapse in the street and need resuscitation.
I have been indoors for six weeks. I am not irresponsible. And I have a shielding DIL and BIL.
I don’t plan on partying or falling down drunk.
I just don’t agree with being told to stay indoors for 12 months. Advised yes. Dictated to no.

MawB Sun 26-Apr-20 18:24:14

Not “happy” but the there’s lots going on that I am “not happy” about.
Go with the flow, me.

MawB Sun 26-Apr-20 18:26:27

GrecianGirl you are welcome to “take your chances” but I’m damned if you are going to take mine or indeed anybody else’s.

annep1 Sun 26-Apr-20 18:32:37

I don't either Bluebelle

janeainsworth Sun 26-Apr-20 18:53:40

Bluebelle I am not bucking the trend, I m not going against advice
If the official advice is for all over-70’s to continue in lockdown, and you stop social distancing, then you will be going against official advice.

I m not staying in just because of my age I’d the rest of society is out and about
But the rest of society won’t be out and about. All the other over 70’s and possibly the over 60’s as well, will have been given the same guidance as you, and will continue to observe lockdown.

The responsible ones, that is.
But perhaps you believe there’s no such thing as society and we should all do as we like, regardless of the effect our behaviour may have on others?

skate Mon 27-Apr-20 11:53:56

It astonishes me that there are so many people on here who are obsessed with what THEY want. It doesn't matter what we as individuals think we want or need. We live in a community and as such the needs of the community come before our individual desires. Why cannot people simply accept that rules are there for the benefit of all? Of course nobody is HAPPY to be in lockdown, but if it's for the benefit of the community in which we live, why not just comply? It depresses me that there are so many selfish people out there who think that the rules should not apply to them. Their 'do as I please' mentality is truly appalling.