Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Views on Robot Vacuum Cleaner?

(27 Posts)
Nortsat Thu 30-Apr-20 08:40:02

I am toying with the idea of getting a robot vacuum cleaner and have seen eye watering prices - up to £1500.

I wouldn’t pay £1500 but have looked at Dyson and Meile and read reviews from Which. I would really like to hear from GNs who have one.
We are a three cat household, with stripped wood floors and thick wool rugs.
Any advice / experiences to share, please?

Pantglas2 Mon 14-Sep-20 13:43:45

I’m tempted to get one for home in Wales where it’s oak flooring (no good here in Spain as mi Casa is on different levels). Can someone tell me : do they do corners, or do you have to go round after them with a handheld?

Also, how good are the ones which damp mop as well?

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sep-20 13:38:25

I would love one of these but think maybe I’m too messy - I always have lots of stuff about, things being freecycled in the hall, ten chairs (so lots of legs) round the dining table, odd baskets of toys maybe in the sitting room, perhaps the ironing board in the kitchen and so on... I really don’t think it would manage very well here.

Those of you who do have one, do you have a spacious, tidy home?

JackyB Mon 14-Sep-20 13:13:25

DS and DiL who have been setting up a completely new household after moving from the US, leaving all their furniture and household appliances behind, have got one which wipes and vaccuums. They have laminate flooring throughout and everything on one level. They've not had it long but it has already had a run-in with one of the baby's socks which was hiding under the sofa.

Nortsat Mon 14-Sep-20 12:15:22

Riverwalk I have asked mine several times, if it will make me a cup of coffee, but it just ignores me ...

Riverwalk Mon 14-Sep-20 11:28:52

I went to a friend's house yesterday for our bookclub lunch and noticed one in the corner of the kitchen - apparently it also mops the floor! shock

I want one!

Nortsat Mon 14-Sep-20 10:31:39

Thank you claud, you have resurrected the thread, from earlier this year.

In fact, we have now bought a Dyson robot vacuum. We have used it a couple of times and it seems good.
Our cats are not fans ..

claudhyler Mon 14-Sep-20 08:09:31

I'm not a pro at giving advice on the best vacuum cleaners but as per my knowledge iRobot, iLife, Xiaomi, Shark, and Samsung are some of the renowned brands sell best robotic vacuum for pet hair. without any effort required from your side, Robot Vacuum does their task saves so much manpower, energy, and saves time. I am having iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum at my home. It has a three-stage cleaning system with dual multi-surface brushes, which pick up even the tiniest particles of debris. www.robotvacuums.io/

Franbern Tue 05-May-20 18:20:55

My kids bought one for me for downstairs use where I had all hard floors.
It was a novelty - but never really took to it. Was no good in living room where I also had a couple of rugs and furniture. Was okay in my very long galley kitchen, but then that was always so easy to sweep.
Eventually sold it cheaply on Gumtree.

Ginny42 Sun 03-May-20 07:54:52

I almost gave up on mine as I noticed it was making lines on the carpets in places. It's the one for use on carpets. I now keep it away from those areas. It's useful in the kitchen, and for a quick clean when haven't got time for the big cleaner.

It stops and moves away from the stairs, and it takes itself back to the docking station when needing to recharge. You have to keep the sensors clean to stop it bumping into things and yes, move all trailing cables and anything which might get sucked up.

dragonfly46 Sun 03-May-20 07:42:01

I don’t have a robot cleaner but I do have a robot mower. I got it in a Black Friday sale and it is one of the best things I have ever bought.

Bellasnana Sun 03-May-20 07:29:54

Like SueH49 I hated the one I bought. It was more trouble than it was worth so I sold it for half the price I had paid for it.

I bought it because it mopped the floors as well as vacuuming them so I had thought it would be the answer to my prayers since I have shiny tiled floors throughout, plus a very hairy dog!

However, the mopping feature just made everything streaky and I found the noise of it, even if in another room, irritating as it clanged into the doors or furniture!

I hope the lady who bought it from me wasn’t disappointed.

GrannyLiz1946 Sun 03-May-20 05:58:38

I have an Electrolux Pure i9. We have no carpets but a few rugs. It is pretty good and the company updates the software from time to time so it has improved since we bought it. It makes a map of the floors and once it has done that you can set it to clean just the area you need done.
Sometimes it gets stuck on a rug and it won’t do shag rugs. It is meant to return to its charging post but every now and then it fails to do so and so runs out of charge.
But I much prefer it to paying a person to do it for me.
I have not seen any other make at work and I’d love to be able to compare them.
It was very expensive here in NZ not sure what it costs in the UK.

SueH49 Sun 03-May-20 02:36:41

I hated mine and gave it away after trying to get used to it.
It went around and around bits of dirt so many times I lost count, it got caught up on rugs and stuck under things and there was no pattern to how it cleaned it just randomly whizzed around the room. What it did do seemed to be well done though. The other thing that I found was it had a very small dust container.

craftyone Fri 01-May-20 17:15:58

my roomba cleans all my rugs and hard floors, does a very thorough job. It was expensive, yes but compared to a cleaner that a neighbour had, my roomba was paid for in months. It was so good that I got another for upstairs, so now I have one up and one down. I got my first one around 7 years ago. My sister got one on my recommendation and loves hers too. Mine are genuine roombas and remain in their docking stations until I tell them to go and clean

Pittcity Fri 01-May-20 17:14:09

Mine is a EUFY and was around £100.
I check that wires, shoelaces etc are out of the way and set him off. He beeps if he gets stuck.
He cleans well, senses drops and tackles rugs well.
We can't leave the house with him running as we have sensor alarms so don't use the timer.
I love it and am now saving for a robot lawnmower.

Woolly Fri 01-May-20 17:05:34

You mentioned you had cats. I've heard unpleasant things can get spread around by these robot vacuums. I wouldn't get one with our cat. She brings up a lot of furballs and vomit...enough said.

SueDonim Thu 30-Apr-20 17:27:53

I’ve got a Roomba. It can manage some rugs but not thick ones. It stops at stairs. The worst aspect for me has been my dd’s long hair. It gets wound round the brushes and I have to dismantle it to clean the damn things. When my dds aren’t here it’s more efficient. grin

Deedaa Thu 30-Apr-20 16:58:48

I've got one that I think DH paid about £200 for. It does the carpets and hard floors very well and fits under most of the furniture. Have to put up a barrier to stop it throwing itself downstairs and it sometimes gets stuck if it's moving from hard floor to carpet.

Elegran Thu 30-Apr-20 10:18:04

The Roomba (about £800 but there are several models at different prices) doesn't try to leap to its death down the stairs, it just stops and bleats for you to move it to safety.

One morning on a day when it was programmed to vacuum the downstairs rooms before I was up, like having a maid to get the house nice and clean for you, I found the study/diningroom door closed and went in to investigate. There was Roomba, sitting silently and unhappily in a corner. It must have entered the room through the half-open door, hoovered carefully all over, and then approached the door from the wrong angle and pushed it shut! It has spent all its charge on trying to find a way out and back to base camp and the charger. Since then I have made sure all doors are wide open when I want it to work unsupervised.

Later that day I went back to the study to use the computer. It wouldn't start - seemed quite dead! Tried everything, then noticed that the switch was at "off" on the extension it was plugged into, which lay on the floor beside the desk. Now, I was sure that switch was on when I left it. I could only think that Roomba must have rolled over it in its search for the way out, and pushed the switch off.

Someone suggested that it was trying to phone home for help!

Hetty58 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:57:13

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=tXAfdY5WbyY&feature=emb_logo

Hetty58 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:48:08

My son has always had a Neato (he thinks they're the most powerful). He's upgraded to the latest model a few times.

When my granddaughter was little, she'd chat away to it as if it were a household pet.

Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:41:42

I bought a very cheap one many years ago but I frequently forget to charge it. It is fine downstairs, beavering away but I do not have any rugs or carpets. It can get stuck under a sideboard which can be a pain but on the whole, one notices the difference.

I have used it upstairs and blocked off each room at a time and it was fine except in my bedroom where I have a rug each side of the bed and the step from the laminate to the rug was too much for it. I also had to make sure it did not take a leap downstairs. That eye watering one would have controls to stop that but mine was under £100 many years ago.

If you are considering buying one- make sure you actually see it working and see if it can take a mini step from floor to rug if your house is not all carpeted. I knew they were expensive but not that much- look around if interested.

Nortsat Thu 30-Apr-20 09:22:02

Thank you Elegran.
Thank you (I think) harrigran, though I am having some difficulty shifting that mental image ... ?

harrigran Thu 30-Apr-20 09:10:18

I have no expetience of these vacuum cleaners but just yesterday saw photographs of what happens when a dog has an accident on the floor and the robot in motion. A great deal of cleaning and sanitising was required.

Elegran Thu 30-Apr-20 09:05:34

My Roomba wouldn't be able to cope with the step up from the bare floor to the thick rug. It would need the rugs lifted each time it was used. It does thinner rugs, but when its little wheels touch the edge of a thick one it changes direction and goes off an an angle.

Having said that, it cleans fitted carpets and hard floors very well, even under beds and sofas, and it can be programmed to run automatically on a day and time that suits you. You do need to pick up things like a dropped chiffon scarf or it will get it tangled in its brushes and screech for you to rescue it. The dustbox in them all is tiny and if you don't empty it each use (well, every two or three uses) it doesn't clean as well.

Cats either love them and stalk them as they roll around, or they run from them and hide.