Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What thrifty things do you do that you're surprised no one else does?

(164 Posts)
petitpois Thu 07-May-20 08:35:04

I think we're all in for more difficult times in the future, and I was hoping to pick up some tips. What do you do already that you're surprised others don't? Whenever I need to buy something new I check out eBay first to see if anyone happens to be selling something similar. I've lucked out with a very useful desk as well as some lovely pots for the garden.
I also always make my own stock and so have never had to buy. When my grandkids were smaller I used to occasionally take them to charity shops to choose a treat toy or book. They loved it plus it's a good opportunity to support the charity.

Callistemon Fri 15-May-20 14:50:55

Fennel if it's leftover cooked veg, nothing beats bubble and squeak.
I was at someone's house once and saw them ditch the remains of the roast potatoes, carrots and sprouts in the bin shock

Alexa Fri 15-May-20 14:42:02

Authoress, are nettles still okay in mid May?

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 15-May-20 11:58:22

Oh * Alishka* we have so much in common, nothing like a fresh glass of Cardboardeau, to end the day, also, if you don’t tell anyone about the extra glass if you squish the bag, you get that one all to yourself.

Fennel Fri 15-May-20 11:54:22

Some good ideas, I'm going to try the soup from leftover veg. etc. But we not soup-lovers so will have to adapt - makes an easy supper.
Naty you've reminded me of an idea I saw on a Green forum of a substitute for toilet paper -
Keep old rags and cut into squares. Keep a bucket of water next to the toilet and drop the used squares into it. Then launder and re-use.
I can hear people saying Yuk shock. I've never tried it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-May-20 07:37:09

quercus love your name? are you just as strong?

Quercus Fri 15-May-20 06:00:08

I have made a hairband and a face mask from cut sections of the legs of old leggings.

Naty Fri 15-May-20 03:07:18

I refuse to use paper towels.
I often reuse kitchen dish towels as a napkin.
I don't throw food away.
I try not to buy clothes.
For pee, I usually only use two sheets of toilet paper. blush
I take "military showers" and shut the water off to lather up...but I do enjoy letting hot water run over me.
I am more environmentally conscious than I am frugal.

NfkDumpling Sun 10-May-20 14:22:52

Does anyone remember the soap savers from the 70s? A small, soap sized round plastic container in which you put all the little bits of left over soap. Press them down a bit, lid on and then into boiling water for five minutes. The result was a new multi-coloured bar of soap. I wish I still had mine and have been looking out for a similar container.

I'm another who freezes elderly lemons. Slice them and quarter each slice and put one in each ice tray section and fill with water. Lemon ice cubes. Perfect for gin and Limonchelo.

Many years ago my elderly neighbour used to wash and re-use plastic bags. I got into the habit of copying this and have rarely had to buy new bags. We had some green ones from Lakeland we used for freezing cake and bread which we bought when we moved into this house 14 years ago. Ten in a pack I believe. They were replaced about three years ago but I don't think these are such good quality, a couple have got holes in and been jettisoned already!

Alishka Sun 10-May-20 13:42:29

I've got one,Miss! I've got one!grin
I buy my wine mostly in boxes, useful for both cooking and quaffing while I cook.
And you know what?
If you open the box, take out the foil container, and pour from the foil opposite the tap end, the result is...ta!da!..a nearly full glass of wine! How good is that?!
Cheers!wine

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 13:36:02

I was going to throw the last bit of soap in the bin but then decided to use it to scrub the utility room sink with a sponge scourer and it has come up a treat.
It was Coal Tar soap, one we use when we come in from the garden, so smells of antiseptic.

AlexG Sun 10-May-20 13:32:25

My mother always used to stick the last bit of a bar of soap onto the new bar and I hated it. Vowed I would never do this when I had my own place. And never have until I remarried and discovered my new husband does this too. Must be more tolerant now as it is a small habit to put up with, and he’s worth it!

firdaus19 Sun 10-May-20 00:52:03

Small see through plastic tubs, such as the ones that houmous comes in, make great fridge containers. At first I thought they might be fragile but they've lasted us very well : 2 years and counting for some -- in fact, longer than the 'proper' storebought ones! They're perfect for our dinner leftovers. The lids fit well, they're hygienic, easy to clean and the contents are visible and attractive. So much so that everything gets used up within a day or two and nothing ends up being thrown away.

Daisyboots Sat 09-May-20 00:38:04

Yes I do most of the tips posted but I dont think I could be bothered to wash used aluminium foil sheets.
We dont have baths anymore, preferring to shower,so I have taken to filling up the liquid handsoap containers with bubble bath to use for handwashing.

Ju3260 Fri 08-May-20 15:42:47

I put washing up liquid into a old hand soap dispenser, one or two squirts is enough to do the washing up.

Helena1 Fri 08-May-20 14:34:43

I do all the tube squeezing too - my wee granny taught me well... I remember when teabags were new and quite expensive, the same thrifty lady set a record for re-using the same teabag 11 times, I dread to think what the last cup of tea tasted like...lol brew
At the moment, while there's nowhere to go, I'm wearing a few of my more presentable T-shirt nighties with leggings around the house and only changing into proper clothes for the essential shopping trips. It's saving me money on the spring/summer clothes shopping! smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 08-May-20 12:19:52

I use those little sheets in the washing machine which prevent colour runs. To be economical I cut them in half so I get more out of them and if they come out barely unstained I re-use them.
They go in a laundernet bag with socks or undies to prevent clogging up the pipework.

Diggingdoris Fri 08-May-20 12:14:32

An online tip of digging out the ends of lipsticks and melting them all together in the microwave. Stir well and I poured the mix in one of those tiny jam jars you get in cafés. Amazed there is about half an inch in each holder that you can't use. I was surprised what a lovely colour I achieved from pinks, reds, purple mix. Easy to use with a lip brush.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 08-May-20 10:21:06

I make Bung It casseroles in the slow cooker (bung in whatever you've got), turn bottles upside down to get the last dregs out or water down the last dregs to get them out. Buy the majority of my clothes, shoes, handbags and coats from charity shops. Occasionally change buttons or add/take off trimmings on clothes to change their look. Water down my mascara once it's got dry or clumpy to make it last. Take cuttings from my plants to give me more 'free ' plants. Nurture things which have planted themselves in the garden, in case they turn out to be interesting - I'm in great favour of free plants!

PamelaJ1 Fri 08-May-20 09:03:51

I do such a lot of the above, including MamaCaz’s hot water one. I grew up in a place that had promlems with water supply so our family is very careful.

I thought the funniest tip I picked up was was when I was asked to light the candles in a titled lady’s home. There was a power cut. So as I moved towards the rather impressive candelabras she directed me to the bottom drawer where the stubs were kept ?

Eleph Fri 08-May-20 08:08:42

During lockdown I save water by only flushing the toilet after third visit to toilet and doing No.2 as with all this hand washing I figured our water bill will rise. I only wash clothes on when I have a full load and I wash up dishes after all three meals in the evening. I keep the sink bowl full of water so they soak. I not getting visitors during lockdown and I don’t have an open plan layout so I don’t have to look at it smile

Xxjanexx Fri 08-May-20 06:42:19

Soda crystals for nearly every bit off cleaning,and white vinegar.cheap and does the job better then expensive cleaners.

willa45 Fri 08-May-20 02:18:13

Ever since lockdown, fresh herbs have become particularly hard to find in our area and most times, it's "luck of the draw". If I should I find any, they had to last until next time, so I decided to preserve, by drying them.

I lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread them out. Put them in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes at 325 degrees F. Once dried, they crush easily. I used a few small, recycled, glass spice jars for storage, or small (sealable) plastic bags work too.

Currently, I have a very nice assortment of home dried Basil, Parsely, Cilantro and Mint. Best of all, I never do without, when the fresh ones are sold out.

pengwen Thu 07-May-20 23:46:02

I cut milk cartons into strips for plant labels,never thought of yoghurt lots Oopsadaisy!
I cut lemons and limes that are past their best into slices and freeze,slice and ice in one!
Great thread!

Evie64 Thu 07-May-20 23:45:29

Esspee, I make you right! grin

Esspee Thu 07-May-20 23:09:13

@Dealite. What is leftover wine? ?