Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retirement

(21 Posts)
Puzzled Sun 24-May-20 16:14:23

On a Retirement Course, we were told that we were preparing for the longest holiday of our lives.
Without wishing to wish my life away, I had been mentally and physically preparing for for two years before the event.
(Planning to expand my hobby, and looking forward to spending more time with SWMBO, who had taken early retirement, to save someone else from being redundant, and then gone on the Supply list; which she enjoyed)
Having a hobby is important. Not having something to occupy your time and mind will make for unhappiness.
SWMBO gardens, fund raises for a charity, works for our church in various ways, keeps in touch with school friends. We are both in U3A, and I continue my lifelong interest in many aspects of Engineering.
In Lockdown have even taken up trying to do simple crosswords!
We have had 16 wonderful years together, and doing our own things, and together, hoping for many more.
A positive attitude is essential.
In retirement, funds permitting, the world can be your oyster, giving the ability to pursue what ever takes your fancy, and to spend quality time with your partner, if you are fortunate enough to have one..

SalsaQueen Sat 09-May-20 20:18:18

I'm just 61, work mornings, still have 5 years to go before I get a state pension (never paid into a private or work pension as I've not earned enough/worked enough hours). I don't look forward to being at home all the time.

MiniMoon Sat 09-May-20 20:13:48

I was doing a very physical and emotional job working night shift in a Care Home. I retired at 62 after doing 8 months past my retirement date. I loved being nurse in charge, but my body didn't.
I couldn't have carried on any longer.
I love retirement, and can highly recommend it.

GrandmaMoira Sat 09-May-20 20:07:33

I retired at nearly 62 when I got my state pension. I would have gone at 60 if I could have had a pension then and even earlier if I had a husband with an income or a widow's pension.
I found the last few years at work stressful and exhausting. I don't think I could have carried on until 66 as people a couple of years younger than me have to.

dogsmother Sat 09-May-20 19:53:41

Perfect everyone.
Covid makes today and family so important that actually putting off anything doesn’t seem to matter but grabbing what’s happening today does.
I thank you again x

Niobe Sat 09-May-20 16:19:30

My husband retired from the Merchant Navy at 61 and I took early retirement from teaching 7 years later at 59. My mum and older brother died within a few months of each other and I thought “ sod it, I’m off” and went. Never regretted it!
I should have got my SP at 62 but I deferred it for 18 months to get a higher amount but that was fine as by then my husband had his SP and occupational pension.
We are fine financially and enjoying our lives.

Daddima Sat 09-May-20 16:03:55

I worked part time when my state pension kicked in, but then ill health meant I had to retire. I was sorry, because I really enjoyed my job, which I had switched to after taking redundancy from my previous stressful but very well paid job.
My poor health and the Bodach’s subsequent ill health and death meant we did none of the things we’d thought to do in retirement, so think carefully about retirement now if there are things you want to do ( though they will need to wait a wee while!)

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-May-20 15:44:15

I left my full time job in my 50s in the NHS because it became so stressful and has got much worse since!

I was lucky because I had some NHS pension and my OH retired early and had a decent pension.

I think you spend less after retirement, and a whole new life can open up. Time to pursue other interests, spend more time with family, friends, travelling, holidays (in normal times!) studying, walking, volunteering, whatever takes your fancy.

This is the latter part of your life, why spend it working if you don't have or want to, or unless you love it. You only live once and don't know how much time you've got left!

AGAA4 Sat 09-May-20 15:40:12

My moment came one freezing January morning when I was battling sleet and an icy wind on my walk to work. I was 66 and decided there was no way I was going to work through another winter. I retired in September.

FlexibleFriend Sat 09-May-20 14:59:01

No one can tell you when the right time to retire is. I took early retirement at 50 because I was sick of work. I thought I'd be fine and I have been. Between savings and 2 private pensions I've done well. My health on the other hand not so great so glad I had several healthy years before my auto immune condition took the use of my legs and right arm. My state pension kicks in this July so I'll be really fine then.

dogsmother Sat 09-May-20 14:44:01

Thank you everyone for comments it does help x

glammanana Sat 09-May-20 12:01:50

When you don't want to be there is the time to go,I got my SP at 60 and enjoyed 2 years relaxing and doing as I pleased then at 62 decided to do part-time work which I continued to do until I was 67 I only retired from this because the lease on the shop I was working at ended and the shop closed down.

oscaro11 Sat 09-May-20 11:35:38

If you can manage financially then do it, you’ll never look back. It’s so lovely not to be bound by the clock, rules, regulations etc. I found plenty to occupy my time so much so I don’t know how I found time to go to work. Enjoy it before you’re too old to is what I think.

dogsmother Sat 09-May-20 11:28:41

This is the thing, it’s not money at all, I have no work pension. My contributions to date make my final pension at maximum possible for me now. And not too sure that I really want to be there any more.

tanith Sat 09-May-20 10:30:02

I had to take I’ll health early retirement at 58 so didn’t get my full NHS pension but I was lucky to only wait 2 yrs for my state pension and my husband was still working, we managed and I’m fine financially now. I was scared I wouldn’t manage but it really was ok.

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-May-20 10:04:20

I made sure I worked my full 40 years although I hated every living minute but that was the only way I was going to get my full pension. This was in 2002 so I only had to wait 6 months before my state pension kicked in.

Living in London, having a large mortgage etc I had little savings so I had 3 part-time jobs until I broke my ankle in 2009 and had to give up working but financially I was fine.

eazybee Sat 09-May-20 09:46:07

If you don't know that the time is right I would say that it probably isn't; if there are only six months to go, work them and then the decision is taken out of your hands.

Puzzler61 Sat 09-May-20 09:19:19

I’d say talk to Pension Wise and make sure you have the means to live comfortably.
Your state pension won’t arrive until you’re 66.
I retired at 60 and yes, I do miss the income I used to have.
I have only a small amount of private pension and years to wait for SP.

BlueSky Sat 09-May-20 09:19:15

I carried on till I was 65, then some voluntary redundancies made it too tempting. Never regretted it!

Teacheranne Sat 09-May-20 09:09:42

I retired as soon as I was 60 and my work related pensions kicked in. Actually I was six weeks short of my birthday but as a teacher, I did not want to do another term - can only leave on three dates a year. I was also part time which eased my path to retirement.

But having seen a financial adviser the previous year ( I had four pensions which were quite complicated) I was reassured that financially I could afford to retire so I grabbed the chance!

dogsmother Sat 09-May-20 08:44:03

I’m only working part-time, however I’ve written a letter of resignation and I’m just wondering how do you know the time is right to go ?
I’m almost at pension so this is the end of the line, probably six months or so then I’ll do some volunteer driving or similar.