Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Glass dome thingy for preserving a flower?

(14 Posts)
cascats Tue 12-May-20 19:35:40

Hoping its not just a faulty memory! but am sure when I was young my mum had a small glass dome which was sealed with a large rubber stopper. This stopper was also the base the dome sat on.
You put a flower such as a rose or chrysanthemum in the dome, filled it with water with a preservative (I think peroxide), sealed it up and it lasted for ages.
It always sat on our front room windowsill.
Does anyone have a clue what I am on about? and what they were/are called.
I would really like to get hold of one (or two).

agnurse Tue 12-May-20 22:33:58

I've not heard of anything exactly the same as this, but they sound similar to terrariums. Usually those have the opening at the top, though, and they're used to house living flowers. I wonder if a craft store or a greenhouse might have something similar to what you want.

EllanVannin Tue 12-May-20 22:37:41

Like a terrarium ?

EllanVannin Tue 12-May-20 22:39:14

Or a cloche of sorts. A French Bell ?

cascats Wed 13-May-20 16:31:48

Thankyou, looked at some of these and they are lovely, but the one I remember definately was sealed with water inside.
However, having looked at some terrariums I now think I have solved the problem of what to do with our large cactus and still keep it away from inquisitive little fingers!

travelnan Wed 13-May-20 16:32:26

You are quite right cascats. I cannot remember the name for them but I still have one! It was my mothers given to her by my late husband some 65 years ago. I still use it and put a rose in it. You may still be able to get one from a florist.

Deedaa Wed 13-May-20 17:53:09

I know what you mean cascats my grandfather had one about 65 years ago. Haven't seen one for years though.

Mamissimo Wed 13-May-20 23:06:10

My MiL had one with a lamp and shade on the top. The flowers used to last ages in it.

Chewbacca Thu 14-May-20 00:45:58

Do you mean something like this cascats? I found this one listed on eBay.

Chewbacca Thu 14-May-20 00:49:50

And they've got some on Etsy as well. Hth.

rosecarmel Thu 14-May-20 00:50:31

I searched and searched- I couldn't find any- I used the terms bell jar, cloche, specimen, apothecary, display, sealed, inverted- There was a globe on eBay with a screw on bottom- Some were sealed with cork-

I used a mixture of water and glycerine for preserving mistletoe and other plants- But I just used older jars and never had the type you described-

travelnan Thu 14-May-20 10:32:01

Have done some research cascats and they are called Flower Aquarium. They are for sale on Amazon at £23. 46. Hope this will be of some help. Good luck.

rosecarmel Fri 15-May-20 19:34:35

Those are lovely!

cascats Sat 16-May-20 17:54:57

Thank you all very much for all your work tracking this down. Now I know what it is called that helps a lot.
Checked out Amazon but only ones seem to be in US and the postage cost is high (plus danger of breakage).
Likewise with Etsy.
Chewbacca, the one on ebay I cannot find, so guessing it has been sold! Although I did try and do a Google image search, just to be clever... however I obviously did it wrong as it led to a ... are you ready... Purple octopus tenticle preserved in glass vial. confused
However I have discovered they are made in Germany, and available on the German Amazon site, but not delivered to UK. So will have to get daughter to get one for me when I can next get to the Netherlands.
Thank you all again.