Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Am I becoming a recluse

(12 Posts)
Tippy22 Wed 10-Jun-20 09:26:27

I haven't been out of the flat since the end of March and I've got to the point where I don't feel I want to. There are so many conflicting stories in the news I don't know whether to believe it's safe or not. I just feel I won't go out until everything is back to as it was before the pandemic but that could be next year. I've bought a couple of face masks as I'm sure there will be an occasion when I will need to go out i.e. hopefully to see a hairdreser but I'm not looking forward to wearing a mask or having to wind my way round a shop in a particular route. My daughter says it's the new way of doing things but I'm really not looking forward to it but I suppose I'll
have to get used to it otherwise I really will end up staying in forever. Does anybody else feel like this.

Lucca Wed 10-Jun-20 09:31:10

Tippy I don’t think you will be alone in feeling like this. May I ask if you are shielded ? If not could you try going out in stages ? Could you go out to somewhere not too crowded ? Is that possible where you are ? I would also recommend reducing how much news you watch.

Sunlover Wed 10-Jun-20 09:48:14

I totally understand where you are coming from. I’ve been out for walks and met a friend for a picnic but am finding I’m not that bothered about going anywhere I may have to mix with strangers. My daughter has been doing my shopping and I haven’t missed visiting the supermarket. Non essential shops open next week but the thought of visiting a shopping centre fills me with dread. ??

BlueSky Wed 10-Jun-20 10:01:50

Yes same here. It has killed the joy of going out. Can't really see myself eating out again or being anywhere with people. I think all my browsing will be done on line. Hopefully given time we'll get used to the 'new normal'.

Lucca Wed 10-Jun-20 10:06:30

Yes but OP is saying she hasn’t left her flat. That’s very different to walks etc

Jane43 Wed 10-Jun-20 10:17:00

I do go out on a Thursday with DH to do food shopping and I make myself walk to town and back on a Monday afternoon, weather permitting. This Monday there were more people in town and quite long queues outside some of the shops that were open. I had to wait 20 minutes to get to the Post Office counter for example so when it gets busier I don’t know how I will feel Especially if people don’t follow the guidelines, the workmen were putting arrows on the floor to help direct the foot flow but a good 50% of people I passed weren’t following the arrows and walking in the wrong direction..

I won’t take a bus or train any more which is a shame as I used to love going to meet friends every so often for a catch up and wander around the shops, I don’t like to drive long distances any more. I hope the posts have reassured you that your feelings are shared to an extent by some of us and that you can start to venture out in a small way as soon as you are able. In times of trouble I always think of my Mum saying ‘Everything passes’ and it always helps me.

Rosalyn69 Wed 10-Jun-20 10:33:05

As Bluesky says. It’s killed the joy of going out. Part of the joy of shopping is browsing and touching things. The thought of queuing and one way shopping holds no appeal. I do go out for walks and to collect prescriptions and get take out coffee but other than that I really can’t look forward to going out. I certainly can envisage going to a restaurant or on holiday any time soon.

Tippy22 Wed 10-Jun-20 10:38:51

Thank you for your replies it makes me feel a bit better. I have a few mobility problems and would need to use a bus to get to shops which doesn't appeal at all. I haven't seen my DD and GC since Christmas as they live a train ride away which I was quite happy to do previously without even thinking about it now I'm not so sure. I suppose I just need to bite the bullet and get on with it as my late father would have said.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 10-Jun-20 11:33:58

I think that the first place we will go after lockdown is to visit ACs and Grandchildren , we haven’t seen them since the beginning of December, so I’m not going to risk going shopping and getting ill, for things that I can easily get delivered.
We’ve been out for short drives just recently, so I’m not worried about going out, just ‘out,out’ .......

Cabbie21 Wed 10-Jun-20 11:51:30

The things I would want to go out to just aren’t happening at the moment and I have just had to accept that. ( choirs, church etc). But there is nothing to stop people leaving their home, if they are able to, just to walk round the block, or in a park. Anyone who has been isolating is most unlikely to be infectious, so we could meet up with someone else in the same position. I have met my daughter for a country walk.

However I would be very reluctant to meet with any of my son’s family, as my granddaughter works in a supermarket so I feel she is quite likely to be a carrier of infection.

soloflier Wed 10-Jun-20 12:02:39

i am the same i rarely go out except into my garden or if i have to p/up my monthly medicine from the chemist as a widow of many years i am used to being alone.i do have a car so drive somewhere locally take a flask of coffee and enjoy being out in fresh air.i look at the covid as something i will have to live with now.i adopted a stray cat thats the only company i have.i feel u learn to adapt to dance on a shifting carpet. once all this covid goes u will be able to relax and go whereever u want.

grannysyb Wed 10-Jun-20 13:30:01

Have seen DD a couple of times, most recently in the garden and she brought the GDs with her. I saw my son last night at a distance, he works in food retail and he brought me some flowers. I have been going to the shops since lockdown due to the difficulty of getting online slots, have also been on a bus, only me on it! Whether it's right or wrong I think we will be allowed to do more in the coming weeks, providing we don't have a spike.