Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is pulling up my seedlings & tossing them aside?

(16 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Thu 11-Jun-20 15:52:49

I had 12 hollyhock seedlings I'd raised from seed myself & one morning when I went outside, I saw the soil of each pot had been dug in a little & the seedlings tossed aside. Bloody annoyed I managed to find them all & replant and now I'm nursing them back to health indoors. Just now I've been outside and some of my baby pansies & snapdragons have been uprooted in the same manner. Two pigeons that are nesting in next doors garden regularly come over to peck about the lawn. But we also have mice somewhere outside as my cat has been catching them. So do you think it's one of these two or some other pest pulling up my seedlings? It's as if they expect to find something underneath!!! The seedlings aren't eaten, just left to wilt nearby.

lemongrove Thu 11-Jun-20 15:58:19

I think it very likely to be pigeons or blackbirds, it’s the kind of thing they do, grubbing about in plant pots.

BlueBelle Thu 11-Jun-20 15:59:05

I do know that every time I put seedlings out in newly dug earth a blxxxxxx cat digs them up and Chucks them to one side Now I put some plastic very large mesh over them until they are bigger and stronger I think it’s the newly disturbed earth that attracts the cat (whoopppee a nice new loo) not so much the seedlings which are just tossed to the side as irrelevant

BlueBelle Thu 11-Jun-20 16:00:19

Forgot to add this happens in the pots as well

J52 Thu 11-Jun-20 16:22:19

I have watched a Blackbird systematically destroy a planter of succulents. Every time I rescues them and replanted, it came back on it’s grubbing mission.

tanith Thu 11-Jun-20 16:29:43

Squirrels dig in my pots for bulbs could be your problem.

MissTree Thu 11-Jun-20 16:30:27

I was going to say pigeons but Lemongrove got there first. They attack my young plants in spite of the fact that I am very kind to them, feed them in winter and fill their bath in summer. I wish they would move out.

Devorgilla Thu 11-Jun-20 16:41:15

I wouldn't rule out mice or rats, although it is more likely to be the birds. Vermin have been known to eat vegetation and snails etc when food is scarce, It is in short supply at the moment as cafes etc are closed. Good news is that they move off rapidly if the menu isn't to their liking.

Callistemon Thu 11-Jun-20 16:52:06

I was blaming the squirrel or the pigeons but in fact it was the blackbirds.
They also toss the pebbles over the patio, searching for insects.

DH put a bit of wire netting over some seedlings together them.

Callistemon Thu 11-Jun-20 16:52:27

To deter them!!

ladymuck Thu 11-Jun-20 17:25:03

This was happening to my seedlings too. I presume it's either blackbirds or pigeons looking for insects. If there is any moss, they pull that out too. I made a cage with wire netting and put that over the top.

GillT57 Thu 11-Jun-20 17:38:39

Bloody pigeons have pulled up my spring onions and tossed them aside! Presumably they were after the blood, bone and fish meal that I sprinkled on my veg patch just before it rained. I wouldn't mind, but we throw out lots of bread, cake, dried fruit and such for them, ungrateful beggars!

Callistemon Thu 11-Jun-20 17:44:53

DH said he was going to stop filling the bird feeders in the hope that they go elsewhere.

We've realised now that this garden belongs to them, not us!

blondenana Thu 11-Jun-20 18:04:09

Callistemom i know, once you start feeding the birds they keep coming back
I have spent more on food for the birds ,and my cats ,than i have on my own
Threw some bread out this morning as waiting for more bird seed and suet ball,it had gone in minutes,
Also saw a couple of squirrels after the birds food yesterday,and have a blackbird that seems to live in my garden,and cheeky enough to walk right up to my cat,who totally ignores it

LadyGracie Thu 11-Jun-20 18:49:57

My daughter thought a cat was digging up her seedlings until she caught a squirrel in the act.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:53:37

It sounds like a hare to me.