Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

AC Relationship Problem

(6 Posts)
Poppsbaggie Tue 16-Jun-20 20:32:58

My son (43) is in a controlling relationship. His woman friend is 28 and wants more from this than he does. Every time he tries to end the relationship she does the sobbing, threatens suicide etc. Emotional blackmail is my view (sounds harsh, I know). He says he is too soft and doesn't want to upset her too much, but I think it would be kinder to make a clean break; she can then move on. She's relatively young and I think wants a child with him, which I think would be a disaster. he doesn't want children, which is sad from my point of view, as I would like another grandchild. What say you empathetic souls out there

Bibbity Tue 16-Jun-20 21:25:57

He needs to leave and block her. Tell her any contact will result in him calling the police.
If she threatens suicide that is not his problem. He is not responsible for her.
If she tells him she wants to kill her self he can call 999.

I am sorry he is in this position if he can leave you may be able to help him more.

agnurse Tue 16-Jun-20 22:47:56

This is a case where you absolutely cannot get involved.

Keep in mind that there are two sides to every story, and that as a parent, you are not an objective third party.

At the very least they may benefit from relationship counselling.

Bibbity Tue 16-Jun-20 23:31:19

You should never ever go to counselling with an abuser. They use it to further abuse their victims.

Daisymae Tue 16-Jun-20 23:39:40

Agree that you need to leave it to them to sort out. No one knows what goes on in a relationship, if he really wants to end it he will.

sodapop Wed 17-Jun-20 08:32:13

I tend to agree with Daisymae your son has to make his own decisions about this. Be there to support him and listen if he wants to talk.