Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help me create a name for my fledgling craft business.

(53 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 22-Jun-20 20:08:06

I'll be making all sorts of one-of-a-kind things out of fabric. I'd like a name that encompasses the spirit of the countryside I used to play in as a child. Chalk streams with sunlight dancing on the surface, weeping willows, meadows full of rabbits, the moon at dusk, flowers in the hedgerow etc. Any ideas?

MaryTheBookeeper Tue 23-Jun-20 09:35:32

Ooooh keep them coming please, I'm loving this. I think 'All things bright & beautiful' is inspired but I don't want the religious connotations. Also Bunnies & Buttons is brilliant but my stuff will be aimed at adults. I really love Strawberry Stitches but it feels a bit old fashioned, I want a grown-up name. I've added a pic of the work of Alice Mary Lynch to illustrate the style/complexity I intend to sew - although I won't be making dolls.

Jane10 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:46:41

You don't want to be too sickly though. An overly cutesie name could come over as unprofessional and you're setting up a business. That could be off-putting for some potential customers. Well. Me!

JessK Tue 23-Jun-20 09:53:36

Cornfield crafts
Woodland wonders
Cottage craftworks

Alexa Tue 23-Jun-20 09:57:04

Campion Crafts

Molypolly1 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:59:11

Bucolic Beauties

grannypiper Tue 23-Jun-20 10:02:47

Chalk meadow crafts

Chalk stream crafts

Chalk willow crafts

Goodluckflowers

Lucca Tue 23-Jun-20 10:06:10

Callistemon

MissAdventure

I would be wary of combining country craft work, after hearing of a receptionist who had the task of politely saying it to every caller on the phone. "Country craft work, may I help you?"
Until one day she got the words muddled.

I'm still trying to work it out hmm

I was going to say Meadowsweet then noticed Jane10's post from earlier suggesting that.

Two votes!

Callistemon. Think of dr spooner.

Lucca Tue 23-Jun-20 10:06:52

Can I be controversial and suggest something not too “twee” ? I’ll try and think..

trisher Tue 23-Jun-20 10:08:27

Maia-makes or Maiacraft
Maia
Maia is mainly remembered today as the goddess of spring and rebirth, like the month of May that bears her name. "Maia" means "the maker," and every spring she makes the lush green grass and the fragrant flowers grow again.
You could spell it with a 'y' to make it easier to pronounce.

Apricity Tue 23-Jun-20 10:46:51

Hand made by the Handmaiden or the Handmaven.

CherryCezzy Tue 23-Jun-20 11:55:45

Personally I still like the idea of incorporating the word chalk.
Seeing that your target market is adults what about
Chalk Moon

FlyingHandbag Tue 23-Jun-20 15:23:37

Fawning Fabrics? X

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 23-Jun-20 15:26:59

Harvest Moon

JuneRose Tue 23-Jun-20 23:23:44

Crafty Creations
Butterfly Designs (think of the lovely logo you could have)
Sew Magic

welbeck Wed 24-Jun-20 02:03:32

TextTiles, squares for quilting. maybe with writing on, mottos, slogans, child's name...

Txquiltz Wed 24-Jun-20 03:48:49

Dreamweaver

mumofmadboys Wed 24-Jun-20 06:32:56

I think one word is more memorable. Such as Buttercups someone said earlier or Poppies

mumofmadboys Wed 24-Jun-20 06:34:10

Or Sew Beautiful?

Illte Wed 24-Jun-20 09:13:07

I'm just a lurker really but last night I actually had a dream about your post! So I've ventured on to tell you?

This was my thoughts (in my dream).

You should go the way of a Proper Name. Your own or made up. Think Laura Ashley or Kath Kidson. It could incorporate the Country feel you want like the actress Honeysuckle Weeks. In my dream I suggested Jenny Wren?

The problem with anything with Crafts in the name is that it sounds a bit old fashioned and along the line of amateur craft fairs in church halls. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Wouldn't it be weird if you actually looked like you did in my dream!!!

Alexa Wed 24-Jun-20 11:32:12

Illte, good idea about the folksy connotation of 'Crafts'.
I also like your proper name idea.

Merry's

Smiley's

Minnehaha

FlyingHandbag Sun 28-Jun-20 15:16:27

Have you made a decision yet MaryTheBookeeper? X

MaryTheBookeeper Mon 29-Jun-20 19:51:10

I sort-of have Flying I'm sitting with it for the moment & looking at logo possibilities. It's none of the above although I do like Chalk Moon. I wanted something really unique & different. Sorry I don't want to reveal it for reasons of privacy. But I can say it has 3 parts.

FlyingHandbag Mon 29-Jun-20 20:32:20

But if you reveal it, the Gransnetters could buy things! X

Riverwalk Mon 29-Jun-20 21:27:58

MissAdventure grin

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 21:30:15

Is it called ‘Just Buy Something!’ Mary ?