Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Golden Wedding Gift

(58 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 09-Jul-20 16:23:02

I’m looking to pick a. Gransnetter’s brains here please. Looking for ideas for dear friends anniversary. He is suffering from a neurological condition so not all that mobile which rules out The Theatre etc.
I know other friends are buying a voucher for Restaurant meal out. Family are buying garden furniture. They seem to have everything for their home. I did think of Golden coloured rose trees? But would be grateful for all ideas!

Lexisgranny Thu 16-Jul-20 17:53:31

My cousin’s husband was in the early stages of Alzheimer’s, so we took photographs of all the local places they had enjoyed going to together, adding the church where they were married and the hotel where their wedding reception was held. These we put into a golden coloured photograph album. This was something they both enjoyed, although this may not be appropriate on this occasion or even possible thanks to CV.

Puzzler61 Thu 16-Jul-20 17:04:11

PS I placed it in the ceramic pot - it comes in a plastic one.

Puzzler61 Thu 16-Jul-20 17:03:32

For Bijou.
My rose was delivered today. ? - it’s flowers will be yellow and blush, (not red), though not in flower right now.

Thistlelass Mon 13-Jul-20 17:11:09

Would it be possible, given the gentleman's mobility issues, to take them out in the car somewhere scenic for a 'golden' themed picnic? This need not be expensively put together (even 2 couples could assist with this). Some photographs be taken and popped into a little album for them to share on rainy days.

Flygirl Sat 11-Jul-20 21:51:34

There is a rose bush you can buy which is actually called Golden Wedding. I bought the Ruby Wedding Rose for a friend last year and it's been a source of delight.

dirgni Fri 10-Jul-20 22:02:47

We had, among other things, a beautiful rose called golden wedding!

agnurse Fri 10-Jul-20 21:59:52

My godparents have their 50th anniversary this year. I am planning to make them a cross stitch anniversary record.

justwokeup Fri 10-Jul-20 20:20:07

Agree with Anrol. A lovely lady in a local shop suggested a golden hamper to me and it worked really well, as long as you know what their preferences are. I ordered a special wine label with their names and golden wedding date, golden mountain coffee with gold pattern coffee cups, gold box of chocolates, golden pens with notepaper, gold flower bouquet etc. For myself, I definitely would not want a rose or lilies, even though I love flowers, so be sure they would appreciate them if you choose them.

Jani31 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:54:53

M&D celebrate 65 years in October, the golden rose and ruby rose are still going strong in their garden x Me I shall celebrate my Ruby with my girls hopefully in Wales in September. DD2 should have been in Disneyland Paris, that is now next year x

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:35:13

I gave my friends a ‘night in’ -a bag with special edible things and a bottle of champagne. All in a lovely gold bag.

Like Jane I don’t really want people to buy me ‘stuff’ anymore.
It’s such a shame when someone spends time and money on something that you really don’t want.

Kim19 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:19:32

Not 'stuff' and not a voucher. In due course, take them (car, taxi, whatever) out for a meal, afternoon tea and give them your company throughout. This can be achieved with a simple IOU note enclosed in the card. Recommend you put a reasonable 'expiry' date therein. Always works for me and saves delay.

Lioness68 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:58:08

Bijou, our roses are a Willows Living Gift from Carbeth Plants and our daughter ordered them on line. She has bought roses from them in the past. I hope this helps.

Puzzler61 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:53:29

Bijou I’ve p.m’d you 2 well known rose companies I’d recommend, re: rose for your Son.

Lioness68 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:51:21

We had our 50th in May, our children bought us two of the Golden Wedding roses. They are just coming into flower and smell gorgeous. WE both love roses anyway and sadly we had to leave behind about 50 rose bushes we had collected at our old home when we sold it last year.

Aepgirl Fri 10-Jul-20 16:09:24

We have a local restaurant which will deliver a full afternoon/cream tea. It looks wonderful and I know of one couple who received it and were so pleased.

Jellybeetles Fri 10-Jul-20 15:53:59

Love Anrol’s idea. Have done that with many other themes. Another thing is to give twice so buy, say a Macmillan Nurse rose, stunning, a gift for them and a donation to charity I believe. Doesn’t have to be a Golden gift but they just won’t need permanent ‘things’.

Jangran99 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:09:35

Having everything we need, and nothing we really wanted,for our Golden anniversary we asked our 120 guests to make a private donation to Mary’s Meals. The welcome sum raised ensured food and education for children less fortunate than our own.

Lizbethann55 Fri 10-Jul-20 14:54:17

When it was our silver wedding we had a party. We really didn't want any presents as we figured we would just get loads of silver stuff which we would have to find somewhere to put and then polish. There are two charities which we supported at the time, and still do. So we wrote a poem which we put in with the invites saying we had everything we needed or wanted, our health, our friends and family and, most important, three wonderful healthy children. And that if they really wanted to give us anything there would be a box at the party venue for any donations to these two charities, which were both child related. We couldn't believe how generous people were.

Last year was our ruby. We just had a family meal out at our favourite holiday destination ( only an hour away from home). Our children had commissioned a local artist, who we know well, to paint a picture of the very place we were. Not only were we over the moon but the staff all wanted to see it too.

annodomini Fri 10-Jul-20 12:47:29

Friends who had a golden wedding party specified 'no gifts' on the invitation, but I took the 'bride' aside and asked if she had a favourite charity to which I could make a donation which pleased her more than yet another photo frame - I gave them that for their silver wedding.

Caro57 Fri 10-Jul-20 12:47:04

Not just roses - how about a variegated / gold leaves shrub / tree

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 12:32:24

MawB

janeainsworth

This is probably going to sound very sour, but it’s our Golden Wedding in two weeks time and I don’t want anyone to buy us anything. We have everything we want & need.
Any cards will be much appreciated though.
Months ago I was planning to give a party and our friends & family would have been asked to donate to Crisis instead of a gift.
But obviously that’s not going to happen. sad

Not sour Janeainsworth
It would be ours on the 25th and I wonder if anybody will even think of it as we were only granted 47 years together.
I am thinking of treating myself to a stonking big bouquet of yellow/gold flowers. ???

I still remember my DB and SIL's wedding day and anniversary although DB died several years ago and I am not sure if my SisIL will remember, sadly.

Treat yourself, MawB on your special day.
???

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Jul-20 12:17:37

How about asking the couple what they would like?

Sorry, if you have done so, but to me it sounds as if you haven't.

I shall be 70 next year and like those coming up to a Golden Wedding, I cannot really think of anything a need, or want, except a robotic lawn mower.

Probably your friends like me would quite like something that they feel is too expensive to wish for, but if you can get together with some of their family or friends it might be possible.

Puzzler61 Fri 10-Jul-20 12:00:24

MawB you must celebrate, revive your memories of your DH, and your journey through life together.
It is very sad that so many ladies outlive their hubbies but it happens frequently and it should not stop you celebrating a momentous day like your Wedding Anniversary - I think we need to put joy into as many days as we can. ?

MiniMoon Fri 10-Jul-20 11:44:54

Just sent my cousin a £50 gift card. One pound for every year.
I told her to buy some lovely food or drink that she wouldn't usually have, as a little extra celebration from us.

Lizbethann55 Fri 10-Jul-20 11:40:55

As kittylester said. We did this as a Golden Wedding present for my in laws off my children many years ago now. Put them all in a box wrapped in gold paper. Also added items that were gold or yellow in colour such as shampoo, loo paper, tissues ( it was back in the day when such things were available), a gold coloured waste paper basket, bulbs and seeds for yellow flowers. We had great fun looking for things to add to the box. And for years after the children would see things and say "that could have gone in the box"