Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

do you know anything about immunity?

(66 Posts)
ExD Wed 15-Jul-20 13:27:38

Has it been established that people who've already bad covid 19 and recovered, are protected from further infections?

Seakay Fri 17-Jul-20 14:21:18

No one knows if immunity is ever achieved nor how long it will last if it is. There is already evidence that either Covid19 is already mutating or it has many more symptoms and effects than previously stated (eg heart attacks, liver damage, rashes, chronic fatigue lasting months, etc etc). As test track and trace isn't in place there is no way of knowing how many people have the virus but are asymptomatic, nor how contagious asymptomatic people are compared to those with symptoms.

Cp43 Fri 17-Jul-20 07:50:43

I had it back in March, as did my husband only his was not as bad which was surprising as he is diabetic, 69 and overweight. Antibody test was Positive and the levels of antibodies out of 10 were 7.8 for him and 5.7 for me. However subsequently I have had intermittent recurrence of the 2 skin rashes I developed when I was sick, but no other symptoms so am still clear of cv. GP said it can stay in body a (I imagine bit like Malaria does) but will wear off eventually, but doc did add that it wasn’t proven for anything as yet. My initial symptoms in March weren’t as they advertised as didn’t have cough or particularly high temperature or worrying breathing problems, I had sickness like being sea sick , dizziness, loss of appetite and metallic taste in mouth, no smell, fatigue, diaorreah but not with bowel warnings so very nasty plus 2 skin rashes nearer the end. approx 2 weeks then woke up one day and felt amazing like weight lifted off it was a euphoric feeling I’ve never had before. Husband got off lightly with similar but not all same symptoms.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 20:25:39

You’d have to take quite a large dose, though.

BlueSky Thu 16-Jul-20 19:41:01

MayBee too much Vit D is in fact toxic leading to excessive levels of calcium in the
blood.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 19:20:54

25 Avalon: we’ve been taking VitD3 for months. The other day I picked up an old Times magazine and read an article by Caitlin Moran in which she wrote about the menopause. She’d had a blood test which said her VitD reading was 12 and it should be 40-50. So it just shows how low our levels of VitD can get. The thing about VitD is that taking it can’t do any harm and might just do some good.

Sassieannie Thu 16-Jul-20 19:13:43

Wow.. Vernon Coleman was my doctor as a child. My mother who is 86, blood group A, has mild COPD and is quite frail with limited mobility caught COVID in hospital in March following a fall and only had it mildly with a temperature and slight cough. She also had pneumonia last year and ended up in intensive care, so that for her was obviously more serious.

BlueSky Thu 16-Jul-20 19:10:39

At the moment it's all if maybe perhaps, I will take it all with a pinch of salt after having frighten myself silly only for that theory to be disproved or in fact the opposite being suggested!

25Avalon Thu 16-Jul-20 17:12:30

Vitamin D is said to help prevent catching Covid or having it badly. Apparently black people because of the nature of their skin absorb less vitamin D so that could be another factor in with the others. This is also another reason it is more prevalent in the winter when there is less sunlight.

maddyone Thu 16-Jul-20 15:24:14

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I think Dr Vernon Coleman is spouting rubbish. I saw the scenes in ICU, we all did did. He’s a dangerous man.

Bluecat Thu 16-Jul-20 15:09:52

My DD said that type O is the best, from a Covid-19 perspective. Type A is the best. We were discussing the apparent vulnerability of South Asian people, given the higher death rate of BAME people and the bad situation in India. She said that it might involve Type A blood with a mutation on Gene 3, plus other factors such as a propensity to diabetes and (in India, at least) poverty, overcrowding, etc. It concerns us, as my DH is Indian and (obviously) our kids and grandkids could have inherited any vulnerability. However, there is no clear and certain reason why some ethnic groups have a higher death rate than others.

I can't remember my blood group but my DD is Type A, meaning that either her dad or I, or both, must be A.

She has mentioned this genetic mutation before, when talking about the virus, but I am not sure whether it applies to Type A blood in general or just to South Asian people. (She didn't get her scientific ability from me - I am hopeless!)

It's strange how this virus behaves in different people. I even read somewhere that bald men were more vulnerable! Due to testosterone levels, apparently. My DH is 70, male, Asian, bald and has borderline high blood pressure (another risk factor.) I am never letting him out.

SparklyGrandma Thu 16-Jul-20 14:42:04

Some people have had it, then had it again, one of my doctors tell me.

Mamma7 Thu 16-Jul-20 14:13:03

As others have said - immunity appears to last a short time only

Jillybird Thu 16-Jul-20 13:59:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tanjamaltija Thu 16-Jul-20 13:46:44

There are people who have caught Covid-19 twice, so this puts paid to the theory of herd immunity. www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIypDqlC67ljrSKz0XmuOAOa6TEVOGxqB9-ekgNmw-cvgBHuXIKnsvIYaAguiEALw_wcB

and

www.bbc.com/news/health-52446965

Grumpygran12 Thu 16-Jul-20 13:28:31

Thank you LuckyoldBeethoven - thats a very helpful article which explains clearly the dangers of conspiracy theories, which can present as very persuasive in uncertain times.

25Avalon Thu 16-Jul-20 13:06:13

Good heavens I didn’t realise Vernon Colman was still alive! He used to have a column about 40 year’s ago in the Sunday Independent, a West Country paper.

There may be the odd element of truth in there somewhere but most is paranoia.

Luckyoldbeethoven Thu 16-Jul-20 12:35:36

Vernon Coleman is a novelist and a dangerous man who incites belief in hoaxes and conspiracy theories.
Don't put any faith in him being a doctor, so was Shipman and many like him. Vernon declared Aids a hoax!!
www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1941816/an-old-man-in-a-chair-pulling-rabbits-from-his-bag-of-truth

BlueSky Thu 16-Jul-20 12:30:34

Thanks Furret and Maddyone! Re blood group A and high BP (treated) are no longer considered added risks! ExD yes I think added risk of catching the virus and being badly affected by it.

dustyangel Thu 16-Jul-20 12:29:55

Incidentally GS’s Doctor told him that he can’t say whether he actually had it twice, they weren’t testing then and he can’t say whether he will catch it again because they just do not know enough about it.

NannyC2 Thu 16-Jul-20 12:24:43

In reply to your question, ExD, listen to an 'old man in a chair' once a GP and International best-selling author, Dr Vernon Coleman MB ChB DSc FRSA, who explains how doctors are being silenced etc. He had just under 39,000 viewers yesterdays......
youtu.be/Wf0LSdpEy9w

dustyangel Thu 16-Jul-20 12:22:04

DGS,an apparently fit and healthy 27 year old had it in early March, as DD is a key worker in Children’s Services although still living at home at that point he isolated himself from the whole family and his partner, even sitting at the other end of the living room to watch television with them just before he returned to work. At the end of April having been able to complete on the house they were buying. He and his girlfriend moved into their new home, both Dads helping with moving their stuff. They were sleeping on a mattress bought by post at that point.
In June DGS had to dial 111 who sent an ambulance but it was decided that he wouldn’t be admitted because of overcrowding. Two days later they had to call out the doctor who diagnosed COVID-19. He was very ill at home, his partner ( who works in a care home) had to take some unpaid leave to care for him, and then he had to have another two weeks complete isolation while his partner had 10-15 days. ( can’t remember which now.)

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 12:17:05

Because my daughters antibody test result was so borderline she’s having another test done through BUPA. She thinks she had the virus in January and the test was only done the other week so that means she still had antibodies over 5 months later. The test she did was a home test sent from one of the universities. I don’t know what to think about a Covid vaccine. DH is convinced the Oxford vaccine will work, and they have been working on coronaviruses for a long time I believe. But I don’t want to raise my hopes too much and I worry that the thought of a vaccine being produced might stop companies looking for treatments rather than preventatives. I’ve been thinking back to when this all began. I know I started worrying last December and by early this year was planning for an epidemic of some kind. I expected it to be very bad. However I’m really not sure if I had any idea how ongoing this pandemic was likely to be: I don’t think I did.

ExD Thu 16-Jul-20 12:13:45

Information seems to trickle out piecemeal, for example - black people are more at risk, over 70s are more at risk, blood group A are more at risk, children are less at risk and so on.

What does 'at risk' actually mean?

Are people in those groups more likely to actually catch it?
Or are they more likely to be very ill with it and die?

Or smile both of the above?

Nothing about catching it twice .......

sarahanew Thu 16-Jul-20 11:05:49

Does anyone know anyone who's had it more than once?

Tweedle24 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:53:55

The Oxford team working on a vaccine are including T cells as well as antibodies