Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Amazon asking for date of birth

(139 Posts)
Doodle Tue 21-Jul-20 14:59:02

DH and I have Amazon deliveries all the time. Parcels are often left outside our door or in the reception and they don’t even ring the bell. Today’s delivery man said he needed my date of birth for confirmation of deliver. I told him I wasn’t giving him my date of birth and that Amazon don’t know my date of birth anyway so it wouldn’t confirm anything. I offered to sign for the delivery but no, nothing other that me giving him my date of birth would do. If I did not provide the information he would take the packages away. After much discussion we said take them then which he did.
The items ordered were a bathmat and some hand wipes, not exactly contraband.
Has anyone else been asked for their date of birth when taking delivery of an Amazon order ?

Nannan2 Wed 22-Jul-20 14:02:39

Theres still a very low content of alcohol in some baby wipes i think strange as it would seem, but most have done away with it, but not all, perhaps not some cheaper brands.hmm

Clevedon Wed 22-Jul-20 14:01:39

Sounds strange to me too. Just had 2 parcels delivered, rang bell and left on step

Anniechip Wed 22-Jul-20 13:33:05

I’ve had hundreds of parcels from Amazon, before and during lockdown and never ever been asked for my date of birth! Seems very strange to me. If you know the courier company give them a call and check what their policy is!

Nannan2 Wed 22-Jul-20 13:32:52

Asda also made my older son go all way back upstairs to get his drivers licence as proof once even though he had car keys in his hand as he was on his way to collect me (again, from hospital) and then they barely bothered to glance at it anyway.fair do's he is a young driver at 21 (passed at 19) but he had 3 days beard growth & looked at least 20! (That time id ordered very low alcohol g&t 'drink' (which means there's about 0.2% in!)

Doodle Wed 22-Jul-20 13:27:06

jadeolivia sorry can’t pass on the logistics number because I was put through to them from Amazon Customer Services. The customer services number is available on Google.

Taichinan Wed 22-Jul-20 13:24:33

When taking delivery of a mezzaluna (sp? It's a herb chopping gizmo) I was asked to provide proof that I was over 18 so I threw my arms out, grinned and struck a pose - I'm 78 for goodness sake!! The chap had no sense of humour so I eventually showed him my Over 60s bus pass.

Nannan2 Wed 22-Jul-20 13:24:08

They take photo of where they've left parcels to prove they've left it- mostly as we are not signing for them i think, as they take pic of parcels left in my porch cupboard! (though how that doesn't mean they still can't nick them after that I've no idea?

Nannan2 Wed 22-Jul-20 13:18:25

I think its the hand wipes, as they do contain alcohol- but clearly he could see you were over 18, or even 21 so shouldnt have mattered.The shopping delivery i ordered near beginning of lockdown did this to us- because id ordered antibac wipes- i was on way back from hospital (i still had to have blood tests done regular for warfarin) my son came to pick me up, leaving his brother, almost 17, at home) i knew I'd be back for shopping time I'd requested, We dont live far from hosp, but Asda shop arrived early and they wouldnt leave any of it- i rang as i knew i hadnt bought any booze- & they explained it was because of the alcohol in the antibac wipes! They couldnt leave the shop with my younger son! Crazy i know! (I pointed out he'd have had to suck a heck of a lot of wipes to get drunk!)grin Or they could've left rest of shop, and not the wipes! Just like they could have left you the bath mat! hmm

Millieangel Wed 22-Jul-20 12:59:32

Yes, I have, but only when there was alcohol in the parcel.

Dustyhen2010 Wed 22-Jul-20 12:13:23

I haven't been asked for DOB but have been asked for a photo. In my case the man said it was fine for the photo to be of the open door but said some folk liked to be in it! I declined and just went for the open door photo.

Karalou51 Wed 22-Jul-20 12:02:44

Only for delivery involving alcohol.... and he did say that was why. They take a photo of the parcels they leave outside my door which is fine. I was asked for DOB by a DHL driver a while ago but gave a false one then realised later it would've made me 24 rather than nearly 70! He didn't query it though!

MarpleBlue28 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:59:28

REPORT, REPORT REPORT, to both seller & Amazon. How many more are they doing this to?

Newatthis Wed 22-Jul-20 11:57:50

He's got your name and address and giving him your DOB gives him more power to de-fraud. report it to Amazon and the police, and the delivery company name if you have it.

GoldenAge Wed 22-Jul-20 11:54:39

I have amazon deliveries most days as I've not been to a shop in 19 weeks and never have I been asked for a date of birth, which I wouldn't have given anyway. But what a fag to have to call the company and arrange another delivery.

JadeOlivia Wed 22-Jul-20 11:51:45

Good for you for standing up for yourself! Could you pass on the tel number of Amazon logistics in case it happens to anyone else ..they could call straight away while driver is there.

ReadyMeals Wed 22-Jul-20 11:47:46

Sometimes things are wrongly marked as over-18 only. I had a hosepipe fitting that was marked like that. I just let them know it was an error

ALANaV Wed 22-Jul-20 11:41:03

Never had to give d o b but I suppose maybe Amazon were seeing who could be elderly or vulnerable ? I see now however that you have asked them and received a satisfactory answer ,,,,,,,,,,,that is good anyway !

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:20:50

No, never been asked for my DOB by Amazon. They maybe had to know if you were old enough to use a bath mat and wipes???

DeeDum Wed 22-Jul-20 11:16:20

Why the big deal? Just say any date then !
it's only to confirm your over 18 or instead of a signature.

widgeon3 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:03:14

On ordering knickers from a commercial firm, they demanded my dOB. I sent a cheque, explaining that my DOB was not relevant as knicker size did not relate to it.

They returned the cheque. It was obviously more lucrative for them to have my DOB and sell the details on than to provide me with the goods ordered

Neva2bananna Wed 22-Jul-20 11:00:33

I get up to 10 parcels per day from Amazon, have never been asked for my DOB!! complain to Amazon! I would! Probably wants to ask you out? Checking your age???n!!!

angiestivy Wed 22-Jul-20 11:00:08

I received a parcel from DHL yesterday. Driver took a photo of my open door, to prove he had delivered parcel,as I could not sign his electronic device due to Covid regulations.
My door does not have a number & as he asked first I was happy. Rather photo of door than me !

keriku Wed 22-Jul-20 10:51:04

We live near to the huge Dunfermline Amazon depot. You have to provide DOB for alcohol as young folk were ordering it on their parents’ accounts! The drivers often look embarrassed but they are duty bound to do so. Also, more and more companies are asking to take a photo of you with your delivery at your front door as they cannot currently ask for signatures, they also try to ensure the door number or house name is in the photo.

Doodle Wed 22-Jul-20 10:42:39

gilly1952 I am well into my 70s and couldn’t care less if people know how old I am. If he said how old are you I would have told him. I don’t like giving out my date of birth for security reasons. If I hadn’t been so surprised by the question I would have given him a fake one but I didn’t think of that at the time. I do think in this particularly case the chap thought he was doing the right thing but just hadn’t been trained properly. When I spoke to Amazon logistics they confirmed there was absolutely no need for him to ask the question and he should have just left the parcels.

Grannynannywanny Wed 22-Jul-20 10:41:06

Using the self service checkout yesterday I needed staff approval to verify I was over 18 to buy a pack of alcohol free beer. Not sure if it’s because the word alcohol is on the packaging or because it contains 0.03% alcohol, although marketed as alcohol free.

I did offer to remove my mask so they could be sure but sadly they appeared confident enough to verify my age at a glance ?