Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Covid-19 and gloves

(13 Posts)
25Avalon Sun 24-Oct-21 09:34:57

You used to be able to charge the customer every time the card was used which was 50p. This was stopped some time ago and the business had to pay it so most brought in a minimum spend or else they would make a loss on the sale. Now a lot of card companies only charge the business owner a percentage fee so you can afford to let customers use their card for smaller amounts.

Franbern Sun 24-Oct-21 09:25:48

Some smaller shops are returning to having a lower spend limit for using cards, as it actually costs them money when these are used, whereas, cash does not.
Not sure of any definitive research showing that cash can carrythis virus and for howlong. I use cash quote a lot for smaller payments. Both notes and coins sit in m y purse for a long time. Not sure if any virus could live that long on them.
I am wash my hands every time I return from being out, and then again, after putting away anything I purchased during that.
Also.....try to open large patio door to my Living room nearly every day, to give it a good airing out. Bedroom window remains open 24/7

Lucca Sun 24-Oct-21 09:22:37

Thread is more than a year old

25Avalon Sun 24-Oct-21 09:13:35

The contactless card limit is £100 as of 15th October. I never carry cash with me these days.

JohnieWilson Sat 23-Oct-21 21:59:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Luckygirl Fri 24-Jul-20 13:18:56

Gloves are needed when someone is in YOUR space and will touch surfaces/door handles etc. - e.g. when showing a potential buyer round. Otherwise there is no point.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jul-20 13:07:40

As the other posters have said hand washing/using hand sanitiser is far better than gloves.

Welshwife Fri 24-Jul-20 12:40:50

We have now stopped wearing gloves but have hand sanitiser in the car and almost ever establishment in France has sanitiser in several locations so we frequently use those too.

Franbern Fri 24-Jul-20 11:57:58

Easer to wash skin - soap and water, than to clean gloves.

maddyone Wed 22-Jul-20 23:36:06

No, it wouldn’t make any difference at all. Handling money with gloves or without gloves amounts to the same thing. Money is being handled. It’s best to pay with a contactless card as we all were asked to at the beginning of this crisis. Contactless was increased to £45 to facilitate this for more sales, but you can just use it to make small purchases. I used contactless to pay for a £1.99 card today.

MamaCaz Wed 22-Jul-20 22:49:00

After handling money, gloves would be just as dirty as ungloved hands, so what's to be gained by wearing them, either by the check-out person or the customers?

tanith Wed 22-Jul-20 22:46:53

Gloves would make no difference as they are handling different monies with the same gloves. It’s pointless.

east12 Wed 22-Jul-20 22:43:46

I went to my local corner shop and the checkout person not wearing any gloved even though she was handling money- is that ok.