Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hello Fresh and the like!!

(23 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 29-Aug-20 20:54:57

Way too expensive I could eat on a month

phoenix Sat 29-Aug-20 20:13:27

Actually, I found the portions on some of the meals quite generous! (And We are usually big eaters)

We are still using quite a few of the recipes, for example mushroom and bacon al fredo and the cheesy beef, mushroom & pasta ragu (although that may have been a Gousto one. I dallied with them for a while, when they had a special offer on wink)

cornergran Sat 29-Aug-20 20:00:39

A daughter in law uses Hello Fresh. It’s given her confidence to cook, the meals always seem short in vegetables to us, tasty though.

Gingster Sat 29-Aug-20 19:41:14

My DS2 sent me 3 meals from hello fresh during lockdown. We enjoyed them and it was fun following the recipe but I wouldn’t sign up for myself. Expensive and small portions.

Georgesgran Sat 29-Aug-20 19:35:59

I’ve not tried any of these, but friend’s son was getting them, but couldn’t really afford them. She took the recipe cards home and now provided him with a box of ingredients a couple of times a week, as she has all those bits and bobs (bay leaf, sprig of rosemary etc) needed.

On another point - another friend’s DD and SIL get them, so they can control portion size.

Lolo81 Fri 24-Jul-20 20:39:21

I’m happy to take a few pics of the recipe cards and pop them on for anyone interested?

Peardrop50 Fri 24-Jul-20 20:32:58

Thank you Lola81 sounds interesting, I'll have a look.

Lolo81 Fri 24-Jul-20 20:26:34

Peardrop, there’s a pretty good variety. This week we got chicken masala, lamb pilaf (which is lovely and I’d never heard of) and sriracha (?) chicken burgers with salad and wedges.
Have a wee look on the website?

pollyperkins Fri 24-Jul-20 20:03:21

Exactly misadventure- small quantities of lots of spices etc that you otherwise might not use up. Apart from the garlic. A bulb every week and only 3 cloves used ! And normally i hardly ever use it. Still it will come in useful if i meet any vampires!

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 19:56:27

My daughter found she saved on not buying bits and bobs that never got used.

midgey Fri 24-Jul-20 19:56:21

My daughter has used Gusto when she has a voucher code. The recipes are great, instructions simple but not much variety for vegetarians.

pollyperkins Fri 24-Jul-20 19:53:42

Ive been doing hello fresh during lockdown and found them very good. All the ingredients are provided in the correct amounts and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. You do have to do a bit of chopping but it is usually explained how do do it. DH even cooked one meal, the first time ever and made a pretty good job of it. One of my neighbours recommended it And her children have each cooked a meal. They've all been very tasty and a bit more imaginative than I usually cook (I’m not at all keen on cooking. ) I don't find it that expensive - £30 for 3 meals for two - about £5 Per person per meal. Cheaper than eating out probably and as nice, but more hard work I suppose! You can pause for a week whenever you want , and cancel at any time.

Peardrop50 Fri 24-Jul-20 19:47:55

My mother was a superb cook, On Sundays my sister cooked and baked with her while I gardened with my Dad. After marriage I cooked while the family were at home but always basic stuff and it was a chore. Since retirement I have discovered that Mr P is a great cook so I don't bother much, however my interest has been piqued by the mention of Hello Fresh which I hadn't heard of. Do they do more than the basics so that I may learn something?

Lolo81 Fri 24-Jul-20 19:39:14

I get HelloFresh, a weekly delivery and it has 3 meals for 3 people and it’s £41.99 per week.
You could definitely get the stuff cheaper, but I like the convenience and enjoy picking from the menu each week.
I’ve tried so many things I’d never have given a go before and it’s helped teaching my DD how to cook from scratch too.
Would highly recommend it.

merlotgran Fri 24-Jul-20 18:57:45

I was given a sample box for Simply Cook. I thought it would be good for a couple who enjoy a Friday night takeaway but due to Covid have had to eat at home. Are they called 'Fakeaways?'

I don't think you can beat a good cook book or following instructions on YouTube though.

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Jul-20 18:52:57

My mother was a good cook but her attitude was she could do it better and faster without me so I did not learn much.

I also tried Hello Fresh but that was ages ago. It was good but expensive.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 18:46:17

Not really.
I can't stand cooking. Never liked it and never will.

It's not the saddest thing though.

geekesse Fri 24-Jul-20 18:37:14

Isn’t it sad that young people have to be taught how to do basic cookery as adults instead of learning from their family at home as they were growing up?

Having said that, if my cooking had depended on learning from my Mum, I would be a disaster. She could make a salad inedible. She once burnt a boiled egg. Fortunately, I had both an aunt and a grandmother who taught me well by roping me into preparing family meals, and my own kids were all co-opted into culinary tasks as soon as they could hold a knife and reach the kitchen worktop.

ginny Fri 24-Jul-20 17:47:57

One of my Dds has Hello Fresh two dishes per week. She is very pleased with them and I enjoyed the one I ate with her.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 17:17:57

My daughter had it too, for a little while, just for 3 days a week, I think it was.

She said it taught her quite a lot about cooking from scratch.

crazyH Fri 24-Jul-20 16:56:19

My daughter-in-law uses HelloFresh, twice a week. Many a time I have had a taste ...it's fantastic ! All ingredients and recipes are provided and the preparations take little or no time. It's ideal for busy mums etc and would be ideal for your DH to start him on his culinary adventure ........good luck!

phoenix Fri 24-Jul-20 16:51:06

I've had Hello Fresh in the past, very good, but not cheap! Although I've noticed on the village Facebook page, they have a promotional offer currently.

I kept all the recipe cards and still make some of the dishes with ingredients bought in.

Actually, cooked their recipe for mushroom and bacon al fredo only last night, delicious and quick.

Also, as long as you keep on top of it, it's pretty easy to cancel for a few weeks.

Give it a go, look for one of the special introductory offers and see how you get on.

kittylester Fri 24-Jul-20 16:40:57

I am trying to get DH interested in cooking and I thought a meal subscription type thingy might be good. Has anyone any recommendations?