Dangerous or not?

tanith Thu 30-Jul-20 12:06:14

I nipped to Tesco this morning and on the way home an open convertible car pulled up beside me and I was really shocked to see a little boy maybe 3/4 and a very young baby next to Mum in a car seat.
Is it just me? truthfully my heart was in my mouth as she sped away I can’t get it out of my head. If she had even a small bump would those children be less safe than in an ordinary car?
I can’t imagine for a moment putting such a small baby at such risk but that’s me maybe I’m just getting old.

tanith Thu 30-Jul-20 12:07:07

Sorry to make it clear the boy was in the back in a car seat.

Elegran Thu 30-Jul-20 12:36:45

If they were both properly strapped in, they should be just as safe in a SMALL bump.

Did it have a roll bar or some other way of stopping the car rolling over on top of the passengers in a SERIOUS accident? There should be one in a convertible car. Again, their seatbelts and the child seats should save them in this case too - though even in an ordinary car they would be in danger in a major crash.

annsixty Thu 30-Jul-20 12:36:46

Quite apart from the danger of an open car no baby should be in the front seat if safety airbags are fitted.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Jul-20 12:42:54

I have a soft top car, I have had GC in it with top down all in specially fitted car seats.

I have also had my babies and baby Grandchildren in a rear facing baby seat in the front, (of soft top and our 4 X 4) you just disable front and side airbags (there is on most cars a key switch in the glove compartment or under dashboard)

tanith Thu 30-Jul-20 12:54:50

No it didn’t have a roll bar, she probably was taking all precautions with her children I just had visions of those children be flung out in a crash.

Silly old duffer 😂😂

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Jul-20 13:00:20

tanith a roll bar was one of the things I enquired about when I bought my new car last year. Apparently the front window and head rests are reinforced and do a similar job.

They did emphasise the need for correctly fitted car seats though and they were not cheap!!!

SueDonim Thu 30-Jul-20 13:52:43

My Dh has a sports car. It’s extremely sturdy and has all sorts of safety factors built in. When you look in the (Very small) boot it’s bristling with metal work! Roll bars are now incorporated into the bodywork and there are loads of airbags etc.

I’m sure the children you saw were very safe.

Oopsminty Thu 30-Jul-20 13:57:05

annsixty

My daughter had a convertible.

No back seat to speak of so GS used to travel in front seat in his rear facing car seat

She had the air bag deactivated

tanith Thu 30-Jul-20 14:48:15

Im sure there are lots of safety features in convertibles but roll bars and airbags wouldn’t stop a small child being flung from their seat into the air that’s the image in my head.

I’m just going to let this go or I’ll be pondering on it forever more.

Bluebellwould Thu 30-Jul-20 14:48:54

Never mind rolling what about stones being flicked into little faces, or wasps etc flying into eyes. I got a huge crack in my windscreen from a stone being flicked up by a passing car, it makes me sick to think of a baby being hit. And yes before anyone says topless cars have windscreens, the stones can come from the sides as well.

Oopsminty Thu 30-Jul-20 14:53:51

tanith

They are strapped in!

tanith Thu 30-Jul-20 15:19:57

Also blowing lightly into a new baby’s face takes its breath away so heaven knows how the breeze rushing past feels.

I know they are strapped in oopsminty but knowing isn’t helping me think it’s ok.