Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Eat Out to Help Out?

(83 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 09-Aug-20 16:52:15

Has anyone participated in this scheme yet? Seems to be a success so far, from what I've read.

Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend for lunch at Westfield, Shepherds Bush, to give it a go - all hands to the pump! ?

TwiceAsNice Thu 13-Aug-20 09:29:47

Our not out

TwiceAsNice Thu 13-Aug-20 09:29:21

Six of us (all immediate family) went to our local last night . Sat in the garden and had a lovely meal. The children obviously had soft drinks we all had water and wine/beer and were happy to pay for the alcohol, it was still a very nice cheaper than usual meal for us all and out landlady is lovely. How awful that the rude party made things so unpleasant for your son Jane

gillybob Wed 12-Aug-20 13:31:17

Thank you for that River I will send her the link . smile

EllanVannin Wed 12-Aug-20 13:27:07

Just been talking to a friend who's been out for eats 2 days on the run and she's delighted that crowds took up the offer.
It's a seaside place here so has been very busy.

aggie Wed 12-Aug-20 13:08:12

My GS and friends tried to book but all the upmarket places were booked out , they ended up in McDs for their half price meal ? ,
GS works in non participating gastro pub and wanted a change !

Riverwalk Wed 12-Aug-20 13:05:54

Eat

Gilly, if you put in your postcode you’ll find participating places

gillybob Wed 12-Aug-20 13:00:31

My sister and her partner rang a lot of restaurants in our area of the North East and have yet to find one that is participating in the scheme .

B9exchange Wed 12-Aug-20 12:54:18

After our wonderful meals last week, we went to a Greek restaurant locally, booked as a local interest group. What a contrast! The restaurant had set out just two tables for 16 people for the group, we were sat next to people we had never seen before. The whole restaurant was packed, and they didn't seem to have separated the tables at all. In the past it would have been a lovely social event, and it was great to chat to new people, but in the current climate we felt breaking the guidance to this extent was so wrong. My husband even discovered he had been sharing a fork with his neighbour on one of the dishes!!

Teetime Wed 12-Aug-20 10:27:22

We had our second 'offer' meal last night at a local Italian restaurant it was really nice and we have booked again for the week after next. Next week we are going to Stuart Broads lovely pub for lunch.
Coffee and scones for 2 at the garden centre was £4.45 yesterday I didn't realise they were participating too.

Sys2ad2 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:42:38

not tried it yet disappointed it doesn't include Sunday would love to go for a Roast when the weather cools might try local restaurants before the end of the month

Callistemon Tue 11-Aug-20 23:43:39

Pippa22

I took my grandsons for an ice cream at the cafe in our local park and got 50p off each one. That was nice, but spent ages explaining to the children about the Boris scheme !

We didn't thank Boris for our half price meals today, we thanked Rishi. They were very enjoyable.

I found it ironic that the slim and trim Chancellor is encouraging us all to eat out and the chubby PM is encouraging us to lose weight with his anti-obesity campaign.

JenniferEccles Tue 11-Aug-20 22:57:57

I think it’s an excellent idea as a means of tempting people to get out and support the struggling hospitality industry.

We have been twice with family who are currently still furloughed, and both times it was very enjoyable.

We felt safe, the food was good and more importantly we felt appreciated by the restaurants.

A win win situation.

Esspee Tue 11-Aug-20 21:30:45

Lucca. You asked why we found the experience unpleasant. I think the staff member who did the meet and greet initially set the tone. His listing of the instructions was patronising, the atmosphere was missing and the plastic screens dividing tables looked out of place.
Perhaps it was a bad choice of restaurant.

pen50 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:59:07

I work for a charity which runs a cafe. We're doing the scheme but it's quite complicated administratively. I can quite understand why some places aren't offering the discounts. We've had to pay £140 to have some patches written for our till. We've also had to close off a patch of courtyard with temporary barriers and get some more tables and chairs, to act as our "beer garden"; we can't serve food inside due to covid restrictions and the discount doesn't apply to takeaway. If we break even we'll be lucky!

Forestflame Tue 11-Aug-20 19:49:04

Eaten out twice under this scheme. Both experiences were good.
Jane10 so sorry to hear of your DS bad experience. Some people are so nasty!

PinkCakes Tue 11-Aug-20 19:11:42

Last night, 5 of us went out for dinner - me, husband, eldest son, his 2 children.

3 pints of beer, 2 J2Os, 2 pints of lemonade, 3 main meals, 2 children's' meals, 3 desserts - £43! Bargain! Should have been £76, apparently.

Maggymay Tue 11-Aug-20 19:01:19

DD treated me to an afternoon tea this afternoon ,
Really cheered me up.

MerylStreep Tue 11-Aug-20 18:27:21

ExD
If you were to venture out more you would see that it's generally older people supporting eateries.

suziewoozie Tue 11-Aug-20 17:45:10

Hellogirl you are right, you can’t.

Hellogirl1 Tue 11-Aug-20 17:26:28

I want to have a family get together meal out, the first time in ages, and my son suggests doing it whilst this offer is on, but I`ve said that I don`t think that large parties would be allowed, am I right? There would be about 18 of us.

blueflinders Tue 11-Aug-20 16:04:11

Jane10

Looks like this nice party has left a nasty TripAdvisor review saying the place should be closed down. Luckily it's very popular and lots of nice reviews have just been posted. Some people!

The restaurant has the right to reply on TripAdvisor so should do so and explain the £10 discount is clearly explained as money off FOOD and not drinks.

Linda369 Tue 11-Aug-20 16:02:12

Hubby and I have used the scheme twice at our local independent pub and had a lovely meal. I do however feel very guilty as I work with vulnerable families, often going to the food bank for them, they cannot afford to eat out. Am
putting a little more in the food bank collection basket this week to assuage my guilt!

jen53 Tue 11-Aug-20 15:57:08

I’ve just got back from a bi-annual catch-up with two ex-teacher friends. We met centrally to each other at The White Hart in Sevenoaks. I cannot fault their preparations for people’s safety and the Eat Out to Help Out was an added bonus. We sat in the garden enjoying our lunch and decided we felt almost normal again.
Tomorrow, my husband and I have a lunch date with 2 dds, 1 sil and 4gcn using the same deal so it’s something to look forward to. Feel blessed.

BlueBelle Tue 11-Aug-20 15:23:48

Well you’re all lucky apart from some pub chains (wetherspoons which doesn’t invite me at all ) I haven’t found anyone doing it I ve had 5 meals out since it started but none have done it
Boo

Seajaye Tue 11-Aug-20 15:20:36

I wasn't intending to use the offer but my daughter was keen to support a small independent pub restaurants so I went on Monday evening. All measures were in place, the place was busy, although less tables than usual, and the meal was very good. We left a cash tip for the staff, as it was a very hot evening and they must have been sweltering in their masks. I hope the restaurant will survive as they are working very hard, but I have my doubts in the long run.