Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Need a new perfume - fast.

(223 Posts)
kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 18:41:03

We have Dgs4 (8) and dgd (7) here. Dgd was upset about his parent's divorcing 4 years ago. He loves his stepfather but sometimes has these wobbles.

I was hugging him and he suddenly said that I smell like an old lady.

I'm hoping it was perfume and nothing else!!

My current perfume is Aromatics by Clinique - suggestions please.

Madmaggie Sat 15-Aug-20 12:02:03

I love Chanel's Chance or Coco. But it IS expensive. I do get compliments if I wear it. Lancome's Poem is lovely on me as is Shalimar. Ask to test Dune, Daisy, and the one that looks like a half moon. Perfume reacts differently on everyone depending on your skin type and Eau de toilette often smells different to the perfume of the same name. My DIL bought me L'Occitanes Terre de Lumiere last Christmas and my DD bought me D&G's 3 L'Imperatrice pour femme so perhaps they were trying to tell me to "try something new". Wander the perfume counters, don't rush and only try 3 max at each visit - I read the sense of smell can't reliably cope with more. Let it sit awhile then sniff again. If you go to Boots they usually just have their own staff selling everything so they are less likely to attempt a sale. However, particular counters may just give you samples. Happy shopping.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Aug-20 11:17:01

lemongrove

*maggiemaybe*......that was his story eh??

That did cross my mind, lemongrove! grin

I love Jo Malone, and bought a set of the Aldi rip-offs when they were briefly available. They were really good, especially the Pomegranate Noir, and actually lasted longer on me than the real thing.

I just felt so guilty whenever I used them.

cornergran Sat 15-Aug-20 11:04:38

Perfume is such a personal thing isn't it? None particularly remind me of 'old ladies. Recently I've found nothing really lasts, more than frustrating. One trick that works for me is to spray some on a tissue, one third tucked in each sleeve, the final third in my bra. Currently using L'Occitane Terre de Lumiere and Oscar by Oscar de la Renata. I love First by Van Cleef and Arpels, haven't had any for a while though. There used to be an Outlet store near us that sold 4ml bottles for £1, really useful for trial and error but sadly closed now.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Aug-20 10:23:13

That's another that doesn't stay on me Glammagran, it's light.

glammagran Sat 15-Aug-20 10:19:31

Bamboo by Gucci is my perfume of choice.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:14:23

Perfume certainly is very evocative! I suppose it should be any that gives the wearer pleasure. I've worn classics and perfumes I've adored and no one has ever commented which although not necessary is always nice.!
For me the most bewildering was Elizabeth Ardens Red Door. I was given some and when tried it it didnt really seem to smell of anything much and appeared to disappear quickly. The comments I received on how lovely it was were astounding. I must admit I did buy another bottle but stopped after that because for me the main pleasure is for myself!

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:05:18

Juliet27. Yes I remember In Love by Hartnell. My mother bought me a bottle in the 1970s as she loved it when she was younger. If I close my eyes I can almost smell it. My mother was an Avon Rep for a while and some of their classic perfumes really bring back memories such as Topaz and the range for little girls called Pretty Peach?

Tina7 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:56:24

Have worn Diorella since 18 years of age - the formula has changed sadly and the fragrance doesn’t seem to last as long, but I still love it - I alternate with Jo Malone Lime Basil and Mandarin and my nephew always knows when I am wearing it and comments... he loves it

Callistemon Sat 15-Aug-20 09:50:31

Lucca grin

Some of the 'old lady' perfumes mentioned on this thread are ones I wore when I was much younger!!
I remember DH buying me a very large bottle of Estee Lauder Youth Dew when I was in my 20s and I hadn't the heart to tell him I didn't like it. Of course, I had to tell him in the end in case he kept buying it.

Now I'm wearing the 'younger' ones - trying to hold back the sands of time? ?

Witzend Sat 15-Aug-20 09:45:54

To me, lavender water was always the archetypal old lady smell - a granny always used it. Although I loved the GM the old lady connotations put me off for years, but I do like it now.

Witzend Sat 15-Aug-20 09:43:15

Ditto to the fresh, citrussy Jo Malone ones.

For a dd’s birthday back in March I got her a little Jo M compact with 2 solid (replaceable) perfumes inside. Nice and small to slip in your bag. She was going away for her b-day so I wanted something very little to pack - it was just the ticket.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Aug-20 09:36:30

I'll stick with my Tom Ford Black Orchid. I can still smell it on myself and haven't sprayed any since yesterday morning. Chanel no.5 is wasted on me as it's so light it seems to evaporate as soon as it touches my skin and I'm pretty heavy handed with the spray.

I think I've tried them all over the years, 80's was Mitsouko,90's--Diorella. Estee Lauder's Amber Mystique lasted ages as it's pretty powerful but lovely. Expensive !
Libre is another worth having again.

Singapore Girl was a lovely perfume but no longer available, not even in Singapore where I've tried to get it online. I wish I'd bought a gallon of it from the airport----90's.

Juliet27 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:01:57

Correction..Valentino

Juliet27 Sat 15-Aug-20 08:59:17

I wear Valentina Donna body lotion rather than perfume.

Anyone remember In Love by Hartnell?

Esuriosa Sat 15-Aug-20 08:58:16

yorkie20

Jo Malone perfumes are wonderful

Nothing else will do!

lemongrove Sat 15-Aug-20 08:50:14

maggiemaybe......that was his story eh??

lemongrove Sat 15-Aug-20 08:48:42

Fortunately Lord Lemongrove has little or no sense of smell,
A highly scented rose has to be literally shoved under his nose for him to notice it, so I please myself with what I wear ( but then I always do)?
I really wouldn’t worry what a little boy thought.If my youngest DGS said that I smell like an old lady then I would reply crisply ‘that’s because I am one’ ?

Rainagaine Sat 15-Aug-20 08:48:40

I had some Tresor (sorry, I'm too impatient to look up how to add the accent) given me by my mother-in-law. I had to stop using it as it was her own 'signature scent' and I kept imagining she was standing behind me!

lemongrove Sat 15-Aug-20 08:41:32

Lucca grin

Lucca Sat 15-Aug-20 08:39:26

JTelles7

What the hell does this person smell like. Does that person remember when he was a toddler how often he may have deficated in his nappies etc and you despite the obnoxious smell you cleaned his ass etc. Just remind him of that.

Today’s top prize for overreaction goes to......

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Aug-20 08:29:55

I read somewhere that you should spray your perfume in front of you and walk through it before you get dressed.

My boss came back to work from a conference once reeking of Chanel. Apparently the woman walking in in front of him suddenly sprayed it generously overhead and he couldn’t stop in time. I’m hoping she was dressed at the time though.

BlueSky Sat 15-Aug-20 07:51:10

I personally love Shalimar and Chanel no 5 but when I used to wear them, a whiff from DH would declare them 'old lady's'! I stick to the newer green ones, like the Jo Malone's range.

Granless Sat 15-Aug-20 07:19:02

Look up, read about and buy Persimmon soap. ?

Huitson1958 Fri 14-Aug-20 23:56:40

Shalimar and Chanel are ageless however old you are ❤️

Huitson1958 Fri 14-Aug-20 23:55:50

My granddaughter steals mine !!!