Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

A Gardening Question

(14 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 19-Aug-20 11:17:58

I grow pots of nasturtiums as a sacrificial plant to tempt cabbage white butterflies away from brassicas.

lemongrove Wed 19-Aug-20 08:53:20

I love nasturtiums but oh! The blackfly?

lemongrove Wed 19-Aug-20 08:51:53

harrigran ? good one! Nobody wants an angry giant in their garden.

Esspee Wed 19-Aug-20 08:46:36

I think it is more likely to be the variety but plants do tend to grow spindly in the shade and if the soil is too rich or damp.

I usually plant nasturtiums to scramble over hot, dry, poor soil.

loopyloo Wed 19-Aug-20 08:23:21

May I ask another question? I have grown nasturtiums this year but am disappointed as the flowers are under the leaves. Are they in too much shade? Do other people have this problem? Is it the variety?

harrigran Wed 19-Aug-20 08:11:37

I was going to ask my son Jack for advice but on reflection he does not have a good track record for growing beans grin

shysal Wed 19-Aug-20 08:04:18

If they have gone over when you get back, leave the pods to dry on the plants and use the seeds for next year. Enjoy your trip. sunshine

aggie Tue 18-Aug-20 19:24:49

In a month they will be over and not fit to eat !

maydonoz Tue 18-Aug-20 19:22:32

Thank you all for your replies, we have nipped most of the ones that overthrew the canes, but we've still got little ones coming on, maybe we'll just leave them. We're going abroad next week for over a month so they will probably grow wild then. Hope we don't miss out on the beans by the time we get back.

merlotgran Tue 18-Aug-20 17:29:22

I'm the same as shysal

Jaxjacky Tue 18-Aug-20 17:23:58

I just pinch out the top.

shysal Tue 18-Aug-20 17:10:59

I know that was what we are supposed to do, but I never have. I just let them dangle down. The more beans the merrier!

Esspee Tue 18-Aug-20 15:32:26

I always understood that you cut them off at the top of their support to encourage side shoots.

maydonoz Tue 18-Aug-20 15:23:51

Dear Gns
I hope one of you will be able to enlighten me re our runner beans. They have reached the top of the canes and seem to want to carry on growing. I googled this question and it says to pinch the tip of the beanstalk.
Just thought I'd check on here, I know there are many experts among us.
We've grown beans before, some years ago but can't seem to remember this issue.
Many thanks to any of you who can help.