Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandson with dog phobia

(29 Posts)
Nandalot Mon 24-Aug-20 18:39:25

My DGS has always had his little quirks but at 9 some of these are becoming more pronounced. His phobia about dogs particularly when they bark is making life quite difficult. He is very reluctant to go for a walk in case he meets/ hears a dog. We live in a village and he knows where the loud dogs are. I had plotted a new route for school avoiding the house with the really aggressive dogs which I think started all this but we had to turn back before this morning before reaching school. Have any other grandparents experienced this and have any advice to offer?

Fennel Tue 25-Aug-20 17:40:49

Like LuckyGirl and others I wouldn't call this a dog phobia.
It's a natural fear of big noisy aggressive dogs, which I share because of past experiences.
Although I also agree that they're only doing their job of protecting their home and family.
Different breeds for different jobs - not all the same.
Nandalot a puppy could be a good idea but make sure it's the right breed with the right parents.

trisher Tue 25-Aug-20 16:02:05

I was thinking when I was 9 I walked to and from school with a group of friends, there was a part of the grass verge we avoided because we knew there was a fairy ring there. We also knew there were aliens living in the sewers under the pavement. Now that was irrational! Goodness knows what would happen to me if I'd had those ideas today.

GrannyLaine Tue 25-Aug-20 11:49:49

WWMk2, Trisher I completely agree with your perspectives.
It's not irrational and his fear should be met with understanding - he's only 9. A bit of discussion about why some dogs behave that way and letting him help devise the strategy for avoiding the dogs in a matter of fact way would seem to me to be all that's needed.

trisher Tue 25-Aug-20 11:34:25

I was wondering as he is 9 if he would be happier if he was involved in the walk organisation. I'd suggest helping him draw a map of the village- just a basic one, then asking him to choose a route and saying you will go out together, check and see if there are other things you can add. Let him take the map and if he becomes agitated ask him to try a bit further, then find a route home. It might distract him from thinking about the dogs. Good luck

eazybee Tue 25-Aug-20 09:41:29

I used to walk to school past an Alsatian which generally lived chained to its kennel; when it was out it would hurtle for the gate and bark aggressively. My mother kept walking us walking past it on the way to school, having checked the gate was locked first. and used it as a lesson never to poke my fingers through the gate, so I overcame my initial fear.
But if there is concern over other quirks, liaise with the school as soon as is feasible.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Aug-20 06:47:00

Luckygirl

I do not think that being uncomfortable around dogs should be regarded as a quirk - he may have other quirks about which you might have a concern, but this has a clear cause. I have walked my GSs down their road in the past and they want to turn back when the 2 loud dogs crash against a gate growling and barking. I do not see this as a quirk - it is a natural response to an aggressive stimulus.

My DD has encouraged them to realise that they are behind a gate - but she was out running one day and the same dogs got free and bit her in the thigh - so maybe the GSs were not so silly after all.

I think the less emphasis that is put on this the better - any attempts to make him feel that he is odd to respond as he has will not help.

My parents got me a puppy after I had been chased by a large growling alsatian when I was about 4 - that was a failure! In the one place where I should have felt safe (home), I found myself being chased by an animal that bit my ankles. Don't get this poor boy a puppy!

I think you need to let some time pass without referring to it - if he is frightened by some barking, just go a different way without comment. He needs time to feel comfortable with this and not to feel he is odd.

Good advise.

The less fuss and attention to the problem the better.

Once confidence gets built which may take a good while then you may like to tackle the issue, but don’t push it.

The child is perfectly entitled not to like dogs.

NotAGran55 Tue 25-Aug-20 06:17:05

www.dogstrust.org.uk/news-events/news/is-your-child-frightened-of-dogs-dogs-trust-is-here-to-help

This might be a start point .

Get some professional help for him . I know of an autistic young man who was housebound due to his fear who was cured by dog therapy . He was unable to leave the residential school grounds as there are dogs everywhere, and he would run into the road as soon as he spotted one .
His life was transformed.

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 23:06:16

Don't get this poor boy a puppy!

One of my DGC was knocked flying when she was about 2 by a over-friendly dog and has been nervous since then. They have got a puppy many years later and she adores him, but that doesn't mean to say she would like every dog and quite rightly. Not all dogs are lovely and friendly and children should be taught that.

This is the noise, I think, which I can well understand although I find a constantly yapping dog annoying not frightening.

Dogs are everywhere, lovely, yappy, frightening and having a constant fear of them and their barking and sudden movements is something which this boy needs help with.

What about those neat little earplugs for the time being, perhaps playing some gentle music?

you do not need to own these or any dogs.
you can pay a dog trainer to help.
It's the owners who need training.
If they are really aggressive they need to be kept under control.

Nana3 Mon 24-Aug-20 22:56:46

Nandalot I understand and share your problem. I tell my grandson that the noisy dog is doing its job - guarding the house and it helps a bit.

welbeck Mon 24-Aug-20 22:54:31

Nandalot

I couldn’t do that. These are not our dogs.

that is irrelevant.
you do not need to own these or any dogs.
you can pay a dog trainer to help.

Lolo81 Mon 24-Aug-20 22:45:04

My eldest nephew is also phobic of dogs, He is also autistic and has issues with loud noises and other tactile issues. I’m not suggesting for a moment this is the case with your GS, only a medical professional could do that.
What we as a family do now is have a pair of ear defenders we carry in our bag/person when we have him out and about. Being able to block out the scary noises make him more calm and prevent him running in fear. Might that be an option for you? The ones we use are look like a set of big earphones (it was my dad that discovered they helped when DN was helping him sort out his old tools).

Luckygirl Mon 24-Aug-20 22:26:55

I do not think that being uncomfortable around dogs should be regarded as a quirk - he may have other quirks about which you might have a concern, but this has a clear cause. I have walked my GSs down their road in the past and they want to turn back when the 2 loud dogs crash against a gate growling and barking. I do not see this as a quirk - it is a natural response to an aggressive stimulus.

My DD has encouraged them to realise that they are behind a gate - but she was out running one day and the same dogs got free and bit her in the thigh - so maybe the GSs were not so silly after all.

I think the less emphasis that is put on this the better - any attempts to make him feel that he is odd to respond as he has will not help.

My parents got me a puppy after I had been chased by a large growling alsatian when I was about 4 - that was a failure! In the one place where I should have felt safe (home), I found myself being chased by an animal that bit my ankles. Don't get this poor boy a puppy!

I think you need to let some time pass without referring to it - if he is frightened by some barking, just go a different way without comment. He needs time to feel comfortable with this and not to feel he is odd.

trisher Mon 24-Aug-20 22:23:02

I wonder if it is the barking and the noise he dislikes have you considered allowing him to wear head phones? I know someone with an autistic child who cannot tolerate noise who wears them all the time when out. Perhaps for a short while you could allow him to listen to some music or a story while he's out walking.
I really don't like dogs that are agressive and bark loudly and I have crossed the road to avoid them.

JuneRose Mon 24-Aug-20 22:22:19

I think seacliff's idea is a good one. Or maybe if you know anyone with an exceedingly placid dog gradually get him to walk past it, get nearer etc, a little bit like dog training really but the other way round. I have two dogs myself but still very nervous of large dogs off the lead.

Doodle Mon 24-Aug-20 22:15:45

Do you know anyone with a small friendly (possibly older) dog that you could meet with somewhere quiet so he could get used to a dog that isn’t aggressive and barking. Personally I wouldn’t go near an aggressive dog so I can’t blame him for that but perhaps he needs to see that not all dogs are the same.

seacliff Mon 24-Aug-20 22:14:58

There are excellent well run professional dog (and owner) training classes in my area. If there are some near you, maybe one of the trainers would allow you and your grandson to visit, when no classes are on.

She could have a very well behaved dog quiet he could meet, under a controlled situation to build his confidence. She might have other suggestions too, to gradually help him cope with barking dogs.

Nandalot Mon 24-Aug-20 22:07:34

I don’t think I would get him in there, Phoenix. Several dogs and barking would overwhelm him.
The puppy wouldn’t just be for him, I would love one. However, I would have to think long and hard about it first. It is not something to decide in a hurry.

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 21:14:04

Nandalot rather than getting a puppy, (which seems unfair if you were only thinking of getting it in the hope of helping your grandson) what about both you and him volunteering together at a local rescue centre?

Nandalot Mon 24-Aug-20 21:04:32

Unfortunately, no path on the other side of the road. The lady before the start of lockdown had started making sure they were in at start and end of school day, however, he still won’t go past the house.
Yes, think we will have to get some help. Before lockdown my DD was in touch with the school and they were going to write a GP’s letter but of course all that is on hold at the moment.
I just wondered if anyone else had had the same experience.
I am a dog lover and had thought about a puppy. Has anyone tried getting one with someone nervous about dogs in the family? How did it work out?

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 20:53:00

Just the two who jump at the gate and bark very aggressively

I wouldn't like that either, and would be walking on the other side of the road.
I do like most dogs btw.

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 20:50:55

Some people, especially children, are very noise sensitive. The GP may offer some help eg CBT.

If he has had a distressing experience at any time with a dog that could trigger a more extreme reaction.
Is it at all possible that the family could look into purchasing a puppy for him, one of the gentler breeds, so that he could learn that not all dogs are a threat?

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 24-Aug-20 20:44:48

You say your Grandson has several quirks which are becoming more pronounced.

Have you tried taking him to see a counsellor ? Any phobia needs to be handled by a professional for a child, especially with dogs as they are so difficult to avoid and if he has other problems maybe speaking to somebody would help, it could be that the dog phobia is affecting all of his life and not just when he goes out and sees or hears a dog.

Nandalot Mon 24-Aug-20 20:17:20

I couldn’t do that. These are not our dogs.

welbeck Mon 24-Aug-20 20:15:26

engage a dog trainer.

Nandalot Mon 24-Aug-20 18:57:47

Just the two who jump at the gate and bark very aggressively. He ran into the road in fear. It seems to be the noise that gets to him.