Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

VAT and people with a chronic condition

(19 Posts)
phoenix Sat 29-Aug-20 20:19:12

Our revamp on the bathroom was vat free, because the lovely local plumber (who did an excellent job) wasn't vat registered, due to his turnover being below the threshold.

QuickFire9 Sat 29-Aug-20 20:13:49

We have had a whole new bathroom put in and didn’t have to pay VAT. You get a form from HMRC to fill in. My husband has a chronic condition. We didn’t know about this the first time but the bathroom company we got in our new house told us about it. It’s very easy to do.

Kamiso Sat 29-Aug-20 20:07:57

I didn’t know about this and five years too late. Did pay extra for non slip flooring. Two people I know had nasty injuries after falling in the bathroom.

Liz46 Sat 29-Aug-20 19:56:16

Thanks again Ww. That's very kind of you. I'll phone the bathroom lady on Monday and maybe ask the GP for a letter.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 18:16:07

Yes liz46 it is really worth pursuing and easy enough if you qualify.

It is a lot of money

H1954 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:37:05

We didn't pay any VAT when our bathroom was installed and the company asked about underlying medical conditions when they were designing the bathroom for us.

midgey Sat 29-Aug-20 17:29:02

I am pretty sure that if the equipment is particularly adapted for a disabled person it qualifies for VAT relief. A wet room is now pretty widely available for anyone so no longer ‘special’.

Bridie22 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:19:41

I got an exemption letter from my gp stating health condition , handed to my bathroom fitters and they took of the vat.

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-20 17:09:47

When we were fitting a bathroom for disabled DS1 the suppliers discounted the vat at source. I think we still paid vat on the installation as it was done by the builder doing other alterations for DS's room But I wonder if we should have not paid that either.

Liz46 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:06:28

I am unable to use the bath so we are replacing it with a large shower with a grab rail and It will be big enough for a seat. I do have a chronic illness but don’t think the shower is on the list. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thank you everyone.

Furret Sat 29-Aug-20 16:25:24

I imagine a bathroom or a kitchen is a different matter though and would depend on what kind of mobility/disability aid you are talking about.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:24:50

Oh I’ve just seen you post so guessing the answer is no🙂

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:24:02


That’s correct WW

Hello did you work for C&E?

Furret Sat 29-Aug-20 16:23:53

I have a stairlift and a mobility scooter. I didn’t pay VAT on either. I simply told the suppliers I had a mobility problem. After all, why would an able-bodied person even want to buy one of these?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:23:08

Google VAT notices then notice 701/7 have a look at that and if you get stuck I may be able to help.

But it is donkeys years since I dealt with that so I’m a bit rusty. Well very rusty, but it will come back to me I’m sure.

If you want I can look at the VAT Act for more clarification.

Furret Sat 29-Aug-20 16:20:18

That’s correct WW

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:09:56

It isn’t a question of claiming the VAT back unless if course you are a business. The business selling you the bathroom can zero rate it if they are selling to a disabled person, and they have agreement from HMRC

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:07:11

You need to speak to the seller of the bathroom fixtures. They will have forms that you can complete if you are eligible, and if they are taking part in the scheme.

The requirements are reasonably stringent.

Liz46 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:54:26

On the new bathroom thread Whiff mentioned that if you are having modifications to your bathroom for health reasons, you can claim the VAT back. Has anyone done this and how did it work please?
I have started to look at the government website and emailed them to see if I qualify but it says they will get back to me within 15 days and the bathroom is already on order.
Does it just apply to the modifications needed for health or safety reasons or would say, a kitchen also qualify?