Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to buy DH for our Golden Wedding Anniversary?

(46 Posts)
kittylester Sat 29-Aug-20 17:26:46

Plans for our Golden Wedding Anniversary have been a bit of a disaster.

We would have had a big family 'bash' under normal circumstances but, as that is a no go currently, we decided to go to our favourite hotel in Suffolk and buy ourselves a piece of art from a nearby gallery that we like, as our present to each other.

We can't get a room at the hotel so have to put that plan on hold.

I've racked my brain for a small, inexpensive but lovely present to give to dh on the day until we can get to buy whatever it is, whenever it is, in the future.

Anyone any ideas, please?

grannybuy Mon 31-Aug-20 00:00:01

Many years ago, DH very much enjoyed watching R F Delderfield's To Serve Them All My Days on TV. As he read a lot, for our Ruby Anniversary I managed to get hold of a copy of every single one of Delderfield's books ( including some used copies from Amazon) , and I tied them up with ruby red ribbon. He was very touched, and the books kept him going for some time.

kittylester Sun 30-Aug-20 21:02:12

What a lovely idea!

LauraNorder Sun 30-Aug-20 20:25:42

Congratulations Kittylester Seeing as you are going to buy a lovely painting in the, hopefully, not too distant future. How about a lovely box containing some iou's.
I owe you a good morning kiss every morning until the stars fall from the sky.
I owe you a cuddle in the early evening whenever we sit side by side.
I owe you breakfast in bed once a month for a year.
I owe you a shoulder massage every time you mow the lawn.
I owe you a new toilet brush to keep the loo sparkling.

Just a few examples depending on how romantic or humorous you want to be. The little notes can be made from card and decorated with hearts, stars, sequins, glitter, sketches, whatever suits.

Our 50th was at the beginning of July. We are not really great gift givers as we tend to buy what we fancy when we fancy it. We gave each other a box of promises, mostly realistic, some will take effort but we'll try. For example
I promise to go a whole day without getting angry at the tv.
I promise not to turn up the heater in the car without asking you first if you are cold.
Some romantic ones too but not for sharing here.

knspol Sun 30-Aug-20 18:26:08

Golden wedding here too at the end of this year. Difficult even going out for a meal so close to 'C' day as restaurants mostly full of large, noisy parties . Perhaps it will be different this year. Was hoping to have a special celebration but not to be, still lucky to have made it so far so won't complain.

gillyknits Sun 30-Aug-20 18:19:01

It was our Golden anniversary on the first of August and all family plans had to be cancelled. My husband went through the photo boxes and collected pictures from every decade of our married life and did a Bonus Print album of our lives. It was a lovely surprise. Depends how good you are on the computer though. I couldn’t have done it.

orly Sun 30-Aug-20 17:29:43

Thank you Bluecat and Sharon103 for your kind thoughts.

Purpledaffodil Sun 30-Aug-20 17:08:43

For our lockdown GA in April we had special golden wedding roses from each DC and one from lovely bridesmaid of 50 years ago. David Austen ones weren’t obtainable at that time but these are lovely too and have bloomed all summer. (Plus they don’t need dusting!?)

boops Sun 30-Aug-20 16:43:28

how about 2 mugs - one saying 50 years of being Mr Right for him and one saying 50 years of being Mrs Always Right for you

Rosiebee Sun 30-Aug-20 16:13:26

If it's something just a bit silly, what about a jigsaw of a favourite picture of you both, maybe from your wedding day. Something you could do together. I think Boots do these.

Nanamar Sun 30-Aug-20 16:01:42

Congratulations! We just had our 50th in July. We were supposed to have been in Rome on a family trip. Instead we had a quiet few days in a rental home nearby for a change of scenery. We had agreed not to get gifts for each other, but received a few lovely things from our son and family and friends that may be ideas for you: a bottle of wine with our wedding picture on it, a poster showing the evening sky on the date of our wedding, our wedding picture superimposed upon the lyrics of a favorite song, a “golden record” in a frame with some favorite songs, a frame for our wedding pic alongside a pic of us on the day of our anniversary and a map of the world on which we could put tacks to show the places we have been. All of these were personalized and ordered online.

Bluecat Sun 30-Aug-20 15:43:56

Orly what amazing hair you both have! Wonderful.

sharon103 Sun 30-Aug-20 14:49:18

Many congratulations orly on your 40th wedding anniversary.
Have a wonderful day and many more happy years together.
cupcake wine flowers

Stansgran Sun 30-Aug-20 14:06:41

We had ours last year and as it coincided with the moon laNding I gave DH two Emma Bridgewater commemorative mugs . I notice their advert today has a misspelling which surprises me. We really don’t need anything so morning coffee mugs didn’t break the bank and then find something doesn’t get used as has happened many times over the years.

4allweknow Sun 30-Aug-20 14:00:49

Went back to our Honeymoon hotel in UK for a long weekend. Without our knowledge our AC had arranged to pay for everything. Only discovered this when DH went to settle bill. The Hotel on finding out it was our GA arranged a bottle of champagne with a Gold label and a golden flower arrangement for our room. Later on we bought a photo frame and had a family group photo taken professionally and gave AC a photo too.

PamelaJ1 Sun 30-Aug-20 14:00:40

Anything that doesn’t need to be dusted or stored. Preferably that can go down the drain. Food, drink experiences.

I’ve got enough of everything. If the chancellor is hoping I will spend to help the country well I will but only on perishables!

I still have the husband, he’s the best present.
Most important, he still has me.❤️?

Chameleon007 Sun 30-Aug-20 12:22:13

It's our GA the middle of next year. But early January will be my Father's 100th birthday. I had planned to have an afternoon tea for both occasions at a local hotel for family and friends. However the hotel has gone into administration and the present situation has stopped our plans.
For our friends recent GA I made an anniversary cake putting whole gold cherries in with the fruit. I found a GA small ornament/decoration to go on top as a keepsake. A gold rose reminds couples of their GA.

NotANana Sun 30-Aug-20 12:15:42

I have just asked my DH what he would like for our 42nd in September...and he hasn't a clue! I never know what to get him for birthdays, Christmases or anniversaries.....

One successful present that I bought him a couple of years ago was when I went to an antique fair. Browsing on a stall I spied an Omega men's wristwatch. It is quite chunky and on a stainless steel bracelet. It is an automatic one which means that it is self-winding. It didn't have a box or any papers with it but it looked authentic. I had it cleaned and serviced for him, and he wears it almost every day. Please note that it isn't one of the fabulously expensive Omega watches, just an ordinary one. (I think it helped that when he was out for a drink with some friends, one of them spotted it and was very complimentary about it...) Could you find a watch that dates from the year you married, perhaps?

How much do you want to spend?
Does your DH have any hobbies or pastimes? Enjoy wine? Like whisk(e)y? Collect anything?
If he does crossword puzzles he might appreciate a nice refillable pencil and some soft lead refills so that he can erase a word if it isn't quite right. (Most refillable pencils come with HB leads in them - I prefer softer leads on the B scale because they are nicer to write with - not so scratchy.)

Bazza Sun 30-Aug-20 12:08:25

Etsy is another good site for unusual gifts.

Annaram1 Sun 30-Aug-20 11:34:48

How about a balloon ride? My son gave hubby and me that as an anniversary gift years ago and it was great!
Happy Anniversary!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 30-Aug-20 11:09:00

We went for a few days away, the place was chosen because there was a family funeral, so we stayed on and explored. We enjoy exploring towns and cities. When we got back our DDs took us out for a meal which was lovely. This was just before lockdown, so we really didn't know what we could arrange.

EllanVannin Sun 30-Aug-20 11:05:18

There is a rose called Golden Wedding in the David Austin site. A vigorous bright floribunda,with large golden flowers.
I've just looked online.

Clairefontaine Sun 30-Aug-20 11:05:18

Our 50th wedding anniversary is on 19 September. Like others, we cannot mark it in the way we had hoped, for now. Instead, we have booked a lovely country air bnb for that weekend( 3 nights) and plan to explore the area, which is new to us. No presents, just some very nice restaurant bookings and new places to discover, all researched online and via recommendations. And a family Zoom in the evening. Kitty, even if your favourite hotel is not available for the date desired, there are also excellent other accommodation options. We only booked a week ago and are delighted with our choice. It is the fun of going somewhere new( and not too far) which, to us, is better than a tangible present we may just put away in a drawer and never look at again. We will remember fondly the honeymoon package deal in Majorca for £35 that we had booked in what turned out to be an unfinished hotel. We were aged 20 and 25 and not daunted. Our air bnb this time is positively luxurious in comparison but just as lovely, fun, and new to us. Happy Anniversary, whichever way you choose to mark it.

orly Sun 30-Aug-20 10:54:43

It's our 40th wedding anniversary today and we've had the same dilemma in that we wanted a trip of the lifetime to celebrate but Covid put paid to any planning for that which I guess is a blessing in disguise. I wished my husband "Happy Anniversary" as soon as I woke up this morning and he replied "What shall we do - give it another 40 years?"

EllanVannin Sun 30-Aug-20 10:35:43

Isn't it lovely to see " Goldens ?"

My late H thought he'd see 40yrs so that he could give me his grannie's ruby/diamond ring----sadly I have it anyway, but it'll be passed down. It must be about 100 years old as it is.

mphammersley Sun 30-Aug-20 10:34:55

What about a personalised word print. Fill it with all the words that are special to him. Family names, his interests, places you have been. I have been thinking of getting one for my husband, and his hobby is photography, so the words would be placed in the shape of a camera. Not explained very well.
Is there a hobby he has always fancied trying? Clay modelling, whittling, painting? You could always get him started with a book and the basics to get him started.
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful golden wedding celebration together, congratulations!