Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Loo brushes

(20 Posts)
Stoker48 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:42:42

Just saw an advert online for a silicon toilet brush and holder. £19.99, reduced from £26.99.
Looked on eBay and saw the same ( similar?) for about £6.00.
Has anyone bought one of these silicon loo brushes? How much did you pay and were you pleased with it?
Just found another thread which mentions the Joseph Joseph loo brush. That costs about £18.00. Looked at reviews. Very mixed.
I always go cheap and cheerful then dispose. If I paid quite a bit more for one I would expect to have it for much longer.

Liz46 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:48:21

I buy cheap ones from Asda for under £1 and throw them away as soon as they look a bit 'off'. I feel guilty because of landfill though.

Juliet27 Wed 02-Sep-20 09:00:33

I use a washing up brush (Making sure I keep it well away from the kitchen!!) as it’s easier to get round the corners and bends and the bristles on the top brush under the rim. I store it in the holder from my old toilet brush.

Charleygirl5 Wed 02-Sep-20 09:07:29

Poundland is good enough for me- 2 loos- £2, more than enough money spent.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 02-Sep-20 09:09:05

I think the washing up brush is a good idea as the loo brushes all go rusty from the wire and look pretty awful.

Hetty58 Wed 02-Sep-20 09:12:28

Disgusting things - I'd never have one!

tanith Wed 02-Sep-20 09:29:10

Haven't had one for many years.

Sashabel Wed 02-Sep-20 09:47:09

I can't abide toilet brushes. There's absolutely no need for them when you can remove any "stains" by pouring warm water on them from a height and follow up with regular use of bleach.
Just think of all those cheap toilet brushes in land fill when we should be trying to reduce our use of plastic. I wonder how many hundreds of years it takes for a loo brush to break down?

Teetime Wed 02-Sep-20 09:49:50

One of the first things I learnt as an Infection Control Nurse was that the place for a loo brush was in the bin!

Teetime Wed 02-Sep-20 09:52:21

The second thing I learnt was that kitchen paper in a gloved hand was the way to clean a loo. Professor Shanson as I recall said 'the most effective means of cleaning a lavatory is flushing'. I think it needs a bit of bleach and or Toilet Duck as well.

Stoker48 Wed 02-Sep-20 09:58:41

Thanks for your comments.
I absolutely agree that they are germ holders.
I have one besides each of my loos incase visitors need to use but don’t use myself. A sideways comment - I am continually agast by the loo brushes in public places. My local railway station, M&S and Waitrose cafe have all had disgusting loo brushes.
I always go out of my way to find a manager to complain to but often when I go back it’s just the same : (

Illte Wed 02-Sep-20 11:01:57

Mostly I find the flush is enough. If it needs a bit more I use one of those Toilet Duck brushes with the disposable pad and then a bit of bleach over the end of the brush and into the loo.

jeanrobinson Wed 02-Sep-20 11:11:44

What I had assumed to be a white plastic holder for my loo brush was in fact metal, and left a ring of rust on the bathroom floor. I then found a replacement which was plastic.
Much depends on whether you live in a hard or soft water area - ours is hard, which has benefits in lower mortality from heart attacks, but the disadvantage of build-up of deposits.

MummyJoJo62 Wed 02-Sep-20 11:18:11

Toilet Duck made these handy holders onto which you fastened a disposable wad of cotton infused with loo cleaner which then you simply flushed It was suitable for septic tanks which is why I liked them but really difficult to find now!

Alexa Wed 02-Sep-20 11:18:29

Toilet brushes are horrid. What are they for? It's impractical to clean the things thoroughly. Toilets should be cleaned by hand wearing Marigolds.

BBbevan Wed 02-Sep-20 11:55:59

Yuk and double yuk. Never ever have one

travelsafar Wed 02-Sep-20 11:56:47

If you wash your loo brush after use in some hot water and bleach and leave it to dry before putting back in the container, it should be fine. f you don't like, don't buy. There are so many different products on sale for keeping your toilet clean and fresh. I can't see the problem.

amazonia Wed 02-Sep-20 12:22:29

I use Norwex silicone loo brushes. They stay fresh and shiny. Expensive but worth it. I used to use cheap ones but they stain quickly and I can't bear the thought of all that plastic going to landfill.

annep1 Wed 02-Sep-20 12:58:13

I don't see the problem with using a loo brush. Mine is spotless. If I put bleach down the loo or toilet cleaner whilst using it its bound to be clean.

Puzzled Tue 15-Sep-20 15:49:25

This makes me bristle!
Now, someone will give the brush off!