Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hi All

(4 Posts)
Grannybags Thu 03-Sep-20 16:51:32

Hi Barbara

I'm pleased that my children have grown into independent adults with lives and children of their own.

Doesn't stop me worrying about them though!

BlueBelle Thu 03-Sep-20 16:40:23

Welcome barbara
Oh dear I learn that lesson when my 20 something son went to NZ with his then girlfriend ( since wife) to look around and never came home, eldest daughter left for a partner in Europe and youngest daughter went toAfrica and has since settled nearer home but not in U.K. Eldest did return to home town
So 3 children and 7 grandchildren later I have tried very hard not to encroach on their lives so no I ve never felt like you Barbara I realised they all had their own lives and whatever time or attention I get from them is a big old bonus
I have a decent life with lots going on to keep me occupied

If you have 6 grandkids your children have been gone a good while I m surprised you are still finding it so hard to adjust

AGAA4 Thu 03-Sep-20 16:23:03

Barbara it is hard to let go of our children and realise that they are fully independent people who don't need us in the same way now.
I just feel glad that they have their own lives and families and can be very busy but I am still part of their lives as mum/nana.

Barbara13 Thu 03-Sep-20 16:04:59

I'm 69 years old and have 3 children and 6 grandchildren who fortunately live very close by.
My difficulty is realizing that they have their own families and they can not be there for me all the time. This sounds very selfish I know. I actually can't believe the transition there has been in my thinking.
Realizing that I am my own person and I don't need my children to fulfil me.
Does anyone else feel like this?