Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birthday gift ideas

(31 Posts)
LibbyR Thu 17-Sep-20 22:55:06

My best friend and I usually buy each other things like theatre tickets, or a spa day - something we can do together. Obviously this year we’re limited to what we can do and where we can go. Does anyone have any ideas for a nice birthday gift for a special friend. She’s not really a flowers kind of person. Her family usually but her perfume, vouchers etc. I’m really stumped this year because as long as I can remember we’ve bought each other a gift of something to do together. Ideas would be gratefully received, thank you.

M0nica Sat 19-Sep-20 10:20:44

Well, nowadays nothing is certain. The new regulations mean that the spa day we were hoping to have, a birthday present from DD, has been cancelled because they have closed down so many of the facilities we particularly enjoy, that there is no longer any point in going. It is not that the spa is affected by the new regulations, but it is just withdrawing facilities on the precautionary principle.

We are now waiting with bated breath in case the planned meal out with DS and family next Tuesday to celebrate DH's birthday turns out to be impossible because more new regulations will be introduced without warning between now and then.

queenofsaanich69 Fri 18-Sep-20 16:05:52

Does she have a garden ? How about a Solar light,they do tons of different types or a sun dial,bird feeder,small figure or metal craft to go on an outside wall.

queengran Fri 18-Sep-20 15:43:00

I second Notonthehighstreet. Or Etsy even for something unusual - although you should have some idea what you're looking for on both otherwise you'll be scrolling for days. One of my friends really loves star signs hmm so I bought her a necklace with a little bracelet with her star sign engraved on it. Will try find the link and post it.

chicken Fri 18-Sep-20 15:23:04

How about a subscription to Pact coffee? You get a different ground coffee every month and a dripper cup with filters in the first pack. She will then think of you every time she makes a cup of really lovely coffee!

Bijou Fri 18-Sep-20 14:46:34

A friend and I give a donation to a favourite charity.

GardenofEngland Fri 18-Sep-20 13:13:42

My daughter bought me a 3 month subscription to Birchbox. It's finished now but I used to really look forward to the small box of makeup skincare etc. samples as did her sister who also got one. I used everyone of them!

Grannygrumps1 Fri 18-Sep-20 12:53:53

A Kindle if she likes to read. Or if she has one an Amazon voucher to buy contents for it.
All can be bought from the comfort of your arm chair.

Tabbycat Fri 18-Sep-20 12:51:43

I live in Harrogate and often buy presents from our Betty's shop, which are always very much appreciated. They also have branches in York. Ilkley, Northallerton etc - or as Urmstongran says use their website.
Every year I receive a subscription to Good Housekeeping as a present from a loved one, which makes me think of them each time a new edition arrives.
Or how about an annual subscription to the National Trust or the RHS? We have RHS Harlow Carr nearby, but have also visited lots of partner gardens.

nipsmum Fri 18-Sep-20 12:33:58

Can you buy Theatre tickets for something in advance to use in the future when it can be done????

LibbyR Fri 18-Sep-20 12:33:28

Thank you, some lovely ideas x

Lucy127 Fri 18-Sep-20 12:16:07

How about a charm bracelet? That could be very personal and evoke some lovely memories.

PipandFinn Fri 18-Sep-20 10:55:04

Oops sorry Gwen. Crossed post....!!!!

PipandFinn Fri 18-Sep-20 10:54:14

There's a lovely 'local' business in our area that delivers a lovely hamper of afternoon tea for 2. My daughter ordered it for my DH on Father's day. A delight. You might have something similar in your area....?

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:51:06

Afternoon tea delivered to her home! It was during lockdown when I had my Birthday, this was the gift from my DDs - my DH and myself really enjoyed it.

pamdixon Fri 18-Sep-20 10:43:07

or book token/voucher maybe? If another lockdown is on its way, there'll be lots of reading time on the horizon.

Urmstongran Fri 18-Sep-20 10:38:34

I went on the website for ‘Betty’s’ in Harrogate and ordered a tin containing their fruit cake, shortbread and teabags to be delivered to a man celebrating his 95th birthday two days ago. He was delighted to sign for a surprise parcel!
?

Davida1968 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:27:57

I'm taking my friend out for tea. (Booked my table of choice at a restaurant which I know.) Additionally I gave her gifts of sweeties she loves and a pretty tea towel.

Aepgirl Fri 18-Sep-20 10:17:48

Lots of restaurants, etc, are delivering beautiful cream teas to people to have at home.

Jen777 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:12:24

There are several caterers offering cream teas delivered to home. Make an occasion of it and also perhaps book a walk via the NT or a visit to a special garden and garden shop to choose a lovely plant or two

Missiseff Fri 18-Sep-20 10:11:18

Make up a hamper or nice bag of her favourite things. I've just done this for my cousin who had her Spanish holiday cancelled so filled a box with spanish wine, chorizo, meats, olives etc & wrapped it up nicely. She was chuffed. Did it for my niece too, with sweets she used to like as a child, a dvd of the big film that came out the year she was born & other treats. Or what about a good book, bar of chocolate & a mini (or large!) bottle of Prosecco?

Elizabeth1 Fri 18-Sep-20 09:41:03

I bought a hard back book from Facebook filled with lots of holiday photos for my GC they love it it’s also filled with great memories including their lovely deceased pet and a well loved neighbour. The book itself has brilliant colour in the hard backed pages. Why don’t you send a memory book which your friend has experienced perhaps along with you.

seacliff Fri 18-Sep-20 08:57:50

There are some boat trips around our way with limited numbers. One can provide a lovely brunch/lunch etc. If you could get six of you together, you could have a lovely time. www.rivercruiserestaurants.co.uk/images/brochures/Lady-Florence-MAY-2019.pdf.

H1954 Fri 18-Sep-20 08:43:09

i think I would be inclined to go with Jaxjacky's suggestion of an annual magazine subscription.

Nortsat Fri 18-Sep-20 08:40:42

I suggest looking at Not on the High Street website, they have lots of unusual gifts and things that can be personalised.

I love fizz and flowers (I note you said she’s not a flowers person) and my dear partner loves red wine and chocolates...
I would buy her something celebratory which you could eat or drink and enjoy together.
(I don’t think my suggestions are quite what you’re looking for ... apols).

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sep-20 08:39:28

Does she garden? Bulbs for Spring perhaps. One of our friends has taken up growing veg this year, so I’ve ordered seeds for his Christmas present, especially as they were so scarce during lockdown.
Magazine subscription for a specific interest. I like giving something with a bit of longevity.