Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Things are improving, there is progress

(5 Posts)
LJP1 Sat 19-Sep-20 21:56:23

After David Attenborough's dispiriting I wondered if things are improving and found most large companies and organisations are now re-organising to become carbon neutral or even carbon negative (see Nestle, www.edie.net/news/6/Nespresso-targets-carbon-neutrality-by-2022/?utm_source=dailynewsletter,%20edie%20daily%20newsletter&utm_medium=email,%20email&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter,%2033b90086d1-dailynewsletter_COPY_888 or Tesco www.tescoplc.com/sustainability/planet/climate-change/carbon-footprint/). I gather that this is mainly because ordinary people like the Grans, are now turning away from those companies who are not decarbonising and at last the pressure of the general public is having effects, so our shopping choices do make a difference.

SueDonim Sat 19-Sep-20 23:01:31

Nestle? Hardly an ethical company.

Jane10 Sun 20-Sep-20 08:04:18

It's a start though.

JackyB Sun 20-Sep-20 08:05:31

I am not so optimistic. Many claims to greenness are marketing hogwash and they are probably polluting the planet through some back door channels. Haven't read the articles linked to yet, though.

pollyperkins Sun 20-Sep-20 08:14:00

I think it’s too little too late, and I find it very worrying & depressing. Until we can get politicians on board any progress is very slow. We need drastic action. Climate change is already happening.