Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can't decide what to do

(9 Posts)
Roswell Sun 20-Sep-20 11:51:11

I've been working as a Teaching Assistant for nearly 30 years and am due to retire when I reach 66 next year. However because of the situation regarding Covid I'm trying to decide if I should take early retirement and leave before winter. Any thoughts?

Pantglas2 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:56:13

Are you in good health Roswell? Do you live alone? How much of a financial hit would you take if you went earlier?

I’m also 66 next year so I know yourState Pension won’t come through until then so if you can manage without your salary for a year it might be worth doing.

Poppyred Sun 20-Sep-20 12:16:06

It all depends on your money situation doesn’t it. If you can afford to retire now and are worried about the children passing it on to you then do it.

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 12:17:09

For the sake of a year I'd continue working, then see how the land lies after then.

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 12:18:27

You'd lose your final years salary---not worth giving up yet.

Grandmabatty Sun 20-Sep-20 12:19:36

Would you have the option of going part time? That might help you gradually withdraw from working.

Roswell Sun 20-Sep-20 13:07:23

Thank you for your thoughts. I am in good health as a rule and would not think of leaving early in normal circumstances. I will see how things are at half term.

Libby65 Sun 20-Sep-20 13:48:39

Going part time does not answer the problem of perhaps getting Covid. You must either retire, to hopefully keep safe or carry on as best you can, working but not fretting

welbeck Sun 20-Sep-20 14:37:12

i'd leave.
it's not worth the risk.
you want to stay well enough to enjoy your retirement.