Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Garden fence, should I? ?

(110 Posts)
phoenix Mon 21-Sep-20 18:18:30

Hello all, hope you are safe and well.

The fence between us and next door blew down some years ago, Mr Neighbour offered to put it back up, which was kind of him. smile

However, he is obviously a stranger to a spirit level confused and the fence is not only all over the shop with regard to the "horizontals" but is now leaning quite badly.

We've had a couple of quotes to replace it, and it's looking like well over £800 shock

We really can't fork out that much at the moment, so we're wondering if it would be acceptable to approach neighbours and ask them if they might contribute to the cost, as a new fence would benefit them as much as us.

Generally we get on well, but Mrs Neighbour can be a bit "prickly" blush

They are younger than us, both work full time, and have no mortgage. I'm down to 2 days a week, Mr P has gone to around half his previous income, and we still have a mortgage sad

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Rufus2 Thu 24-Sep-20 13:29:19

We like our finials round here
Callistemon Is one of them your family motto hanging over the front entrance? Plus your coat of arms, of course!

Ours is "Bona Fide Sine Fraude" Very appropriate, don't you think!? Our family crest is very attractive too!

Rufus2 OAP OBE
OoRoo.

Rufus2 Thu 24-Sep-20 12:49:20

With regard to not understanding my post, I'm surprised at you!
Phoenix Now what's that supposed to mean? confused
I'm surprised that you're surprised because you should know by now I'm slow on the uptake .
Good job we're not on Zoom, otherwise you'd see I'm full of surprises.! grin
Good Health
OoRoo

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 22:40:57

I think we should get Phoenix some whittling tools and set her to that fence. A bit like fence topiary!

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 22:26:12

We like our finials round here.
And our coat of arms is gilded on our baronial front door.

phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 22:03:55

gringrin

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 21:43:24

Did you pick up any tips and hints from ExH Phoenix? Could be useful if you're able to gild the fence stumps or carve it into something wonderful to detract from the fact that it's falling down! You never know, neighbour might be so enamoured, he'd pay you!

phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 21:39:14

Rufus exdh was a woodcarver and gilder while we were in residence at Windsor Castle, wouldn't be much help in sorting out the fence, seeing as we have no desire or need for intricate golden finials!

With regard to not understanding my post, I'm surprised at you!

phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 21:35:23

Callistemon, it would go into next doors garden, and wouldn't do their new apple tree any favours!

Rufus2 Wed 23-Sep-20 15:38:17

Just checking to see if anyone other than Grandad1943 had any trouble understanding my post of 19.52?
Phoenix Since you ask, yes! confused
Can't understand where Donald fits into this discussion; we know he fancies himself as a fence builder, e.g. that one down Mexico way, but that doesn't compare with your problem. confused
When you were a Grace and Favour resident at Windsor Castle your DH, now your exDH, was a "Chippy" and would have come in handy with your present predicament. "Cometh the Time, Cometh the Man," something like that.!

Actually, at the Castle there wouldn't have been any fences to mend with whole place being built of solid granite, and in any case, your landlady would have picked up the tab.
without arguing about it over the fence. grin

Hope that answers your question!?
Good Health
OoRoo

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 15:32:28

but is now leaning quite badly.
Does it have a list to port or starboard?

ie if there was a westerly gale, would it blow on to your garden or his?

avitorl Wed 23-Sep-20 15:30:49

I have always assumed that I would pay for a new fence,whichever side of the garden it was on,if I was the one bothered by the appearance of it.
I do appreciate that the costs involved may be too much for many people to pay.

phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 13:23:22

Furret, I didn't use the rating option, just tried to reply to it.

phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 13:22:08

Elizabeth 1, he didn't pay for it, just put it back up.

Furret Wed 23-Sep-20 07:41:51

phoenix

Well, Lara Gransnet I have tried to respond to the email from GNHQ, but apparently it's one of those "no reply" ones, so not very helpful, really.

Was it one where you rated GNHQ dealing with the situation as not good Phoenix I wonder?

Elizabeth1 Wed 23-Sep-20 07:40:55

It might be a little tricky asking your neighbour to contribute to a new fence seeing as how he paid for the last one. The cost seems fair to me it cost us around £800 for our fence but our neighbour contributed half towards a new fence. On another matter it was noticed our new fence has taken a good six inches off our garden by installing it into our garden I’m not happy about that but under the circumstances I can live with it - for the moment anyway Good luck I’d want a fence ready to fall down repaired else let it fall then go to the neighbour to contribute they might see the point in contributing

Davidhs Wed 23-Sep-20 07:27:16

Materials, it’s easy to erect a cheap fence but it won’t, last the cheap wooden posts will break off in only 5 yrs in some soils. If you use concrete posts and good quality panels it will have a 25 yr life

Rufus2 Wed 23-Sep-20 02:10:55

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnLoOnrwbg

All together now! One, two, three.........!
OoRoo grin

MawB2 Tue 22-Sep-20 22:52:01

“I had to stomach”...

MawB2 Tue 22-Sep-20 22:51:05

I have had a similar but different issue with a neighbour whose garden backs on to the side of ours, well part of that side as in fact the fence down that side of the garden belongs to 4 different households, thank god they have not all put up different fences!
Anyway, this man is a bit of a bad tempered bullying sort , having a reputation as such although his wife is the sweetest woman. Having passed the time of day quite civilly with me during lockdown I decided to be brave and asked him very sweetly if he had noticed that one of “his” panels was beginning to come apart- he has some big shrubs on his side and I thought perhaps he hadn’t seen it. Expecting him to be awkward I suggested that while I knew it was his responsibility, if it was a problem I was prepared to go halves. That hit his “amour-propre” and he said how he was planning to renew the posts and replace the panels (he has 4 I think) “in due course”, but in the meantime he effected a very acceptable repair to the panel! I do to stomach his political views which are to the Right of Genghis Khan, but into each life a little rain must fall...
10: years earlier and along the same fence we realised that a post was crumbling away when we had a new patio laid in that corner of the garden. That neighbour was fine and I think quite grateful when we said that if he provided one of those concrete supports we woukd have it fixed in when the slabs were going down. It meant it was on our side as his access was not easy, but we were all happy with the solution.
So it probably comes down to who has responsibility for that fence plus perhaps some negotiation.. If it is you, you may have to bite the bullet and replace or mend it, if shared, you split the cost and if it is his,you may have to put up with wonky.
Concrete supports at the base of each post might do a good enough job of straightening them and strengthening them of course.
PS I fail to see how a thread like this could have become contentious!

phoenix Tue 22-Sep-20 22:26:33

Well, Lara Gransnet I have tried to respond to the email from GNHQ, but apparently it's one of those "no reply" ones, so not very helpful, really.

Charleygirl5 Tue 22-Sep-20 22:26:31

phoenix rather than asking a company to give an estimate do you know a couple of DIY fellows? They would be a lot cheaper. I would look at cheaper panelling as well.

The cost of that job and others mentioned here really shocked me but I appreciate 30 feet is long in fence life if that makes sense.

Callistemon Tue 22-Sep-20 22:17:50

Actually, I think the posts could be the problem.

The fence posts, I mean. If they have rotted below the ground then the fence will lean.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Sep-20 21:59:55

Hello! This has turned into a bit of a bunfight -which is a shame because it was a really good conversation. It would be great if we could get it back on track. Thanks GNHQ

Grandad1943 Tue 22-Sep-20 21:36:54

Callistemon, Quote [We have read threads about people in your office, especially about a young man who came to work dressed in an inappropriate t shirt and jeans, easily identifiable if anyone cared to bother, and how you managed to get rid of him. Might I suggest, therefore, that you are in no position to criticisephoenix'slighthearted remarks.] End Quote.

Callistemon, in regard to your above quote, the young employee was not dismissed due to his dress attire, but due to the fact he lost his driving licence due to drinking and driving. Holding a current driving licence was part of the contract of employment he held with our company and without such he could not fulfil his job role with us.

However, since you demonstrate such interest in the matter, you may be further interested to know that the young person is now back with us due to the fact that we have been extremely busy due to the Covid-19 crisis. He is working in the office operating alongside the legal secretaries on a temporary contract.

So, we have taken him out of unemployment at present, and what happens in the future will be decided in the future. I am told he is doing a fine job and seems very happy in the role he is carrying out.

phoenix Tue 22-Sep-20 21:30:38

Hello all,

Just checking to see if anyone other than Grandad1943 had any trouble understanding my post of 19.52?I

Thank you.