Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How can I return my curtains to their former glory?

(15 Posts)
Toadinthehole Tue 29-Sep-20 10:47:31

Sounds boring I know....but thought it may be a temporary escape from you know what?. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what I can do to some curtains I’ve spoilt. I washed blackout curtains. I did the first pair on a 40 degree short wash. When I got them out, the lining at the back was stuck to itself, and in trying to release it, I damaged it, and now it’s letting chinks of light in. For the second pair, I read the label. It said to dry clean only?. It was going to cost about £30 upwards for this, for each curtain. So reading up on it, I could do a delicates wash, which I did for the second pair. All was going well, until I left them to be ironed, folded up, and then the same thing happened with the lining. I don’t mind buying new one if I have to, still probably cheaper than dry cleaning, and they’d be new. I would like to save them if I can. Make do is what my granny always said?. I’ve tried using a blackout pen on the backs, all to no avail. I’ve thought of paint maybe, but was wondering if there are any seamstresses out there who could advise, or anyone who perhaps has done the same thing. What did you do. Thanks ladies.

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 11:13:32

Tippex? That is a similarly rubbery texture.

Calendargirl Tue 29-Sep-20 11:16:30

Could you not do a Scarlet O’ Hara, and run up a posh gown out of them?

Sorry, no help I know, but whenever curtains are mentioned, I just get a vision of some dusty, green velvet drapes miraculously turned into a designer gown.

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 11:17:17

All I can suggest is sewing on extra blackout linings.
I had a pair of curtains which had cotton linings and I just sewed blackout material along the top, just below the heading.

The shop where I bought them and the blackout fabric, advised me to stab stitch them on by hand but that was a step too far.
I just machined the top, turned the hems and they hang very well without stitching the sides.
Good luck.

Toadinthehole Tue 29-Sep-20 11:29:28

Thank you fanny, I’ll try that. What an image Calendargirl. Where has that come from? Callistemon, obviously way more talented than me....but thank you anyway. They are four years old, and were already showing signs of sun damage. I might just have to let them go, perhaps as ‘ dressing up’, for the grandchildren!

sodapop Tue 29-Sep-20 12:41:17

That is such a coincidence Toadinthehole this morning I was discussing this very subject with my husband. Our local dry cleaners has closed down and the nearest one is about 50 minutes away. I was going to risk a delicate wash for my blackout curtains but won't bother now, looks like a trip to the city for me. Glad I read your post today, thanks.

MawB2 Tue 29-Sep-20 12:46:50

Calendargirl

Sorry, no help I know, but whenever curtains are mentioned, I just get a vision of some dusty, green velvet drapes miraculously turned into a designer gown.

Or a “Sound of Music” job?

My SR curtains are desperately in need of cleaning (why on earth did I get CREAM) but I can’t bear the black windows without them so may have to wait until next summer now

allsortsofbags Tue 29-Sep-20 13:36:58

If you only have a few areas how about Wonder Webbing bits of blackout fabric on to your curtains?

If you go down this route I'd suggest using some thing as a sort of pressing cloth so you don't put the very hot iron on your curtains.

If there is a lot of damage it'll be more bother than it's worth, hope you get it sorted.

GrandmasueUK Tue 29-Sep-20 14:10:22

MawB2

Calendargirl

Or a “Sound of Music” job?

My SR curtains are desperately in need of cleaning (why on earth did I get CREAM) but I can’t bear the black windows without them so may have to wait until next summer now

This always makes me laugh so much - the sketch is on YouTube grin.
I don't have any suggestions for the OP curtains - I did exactly the same with mine!

Toadinthehole Tue 29-Sep-20 15:07:14

sodapop my curtains were absolutely fine on the delicate wash, so no spin, until I folded them up ready for ironing. I think they were still a bit damp, and that was the problem. If you can hang them straight on the line until they’re bone dry, you should be fine. Or just hang them back at the windows if you don’t think they need ironing. Dry cleaning is such a rip off!?

Toadinthehole Tue 29-Sep-20 15:09:16

Thank you for all your replies?

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 15:16:07

Callistemon, obviously way more talented than me....but thank you anyway.

No, I don't think I am.

It was fiddly but just straight sewing and don't look at the reverse side!

DD did the same as you (she washed them very gently, she said); they were in "our" bedroom so we got woken by morning sunshine shining through in places. ?

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 15:17:36

allsortsofbags

If you only have a few areas how about Wonder Webbing bits of blackout fabric on to your curtains?

If you go down this route I'd suggest using some thing as a sort of pressing cloth so you don't put the very hot iron on your curtains.

If there is a lot of damage it'll be more bother than it's worth, hope you get it sorted.

Clever!

That would work

sodapop Tue 29-Sep-20 15:33:24

Thanks Toadinthehole I'll gird my loins tomorrow and give it a whirl,

Toadinthehole Tue 29-Sep-20 16:39:17

Good luck, I’ll run for cover in case it doesn’t work!? sodapop