Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Who Gives A Crap

(60 Posts)
TheFrugalPiggy Fri 02-Oct-20 15:11:41

Does anyone here use Who Gives A Crap for their toilet roll needs. This isn't linked to me panic buying or hoarding loo roll. I'm just trying to support smaller businesses and the environment. We currently use Andrex Quilted so I'm looking for similar.

TheFrugalPiggy Sun 04-Oct-20 15:00:08

Thanks for everyone's input. It has given me lots to think about and consider. I wish they did a free sample like some other online suppliers.

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 09:45:49

Seems to appeal to plenty of buyers though !

lemongrove Sun 04-Oct-20 09:36:20

Yes...a clever, cheeky, but off putting name for any product meant to appeal to a buyer.
Do you have shares in the company Furret??

Missfoodlove Sun 04-Oct-20 09:31:19

Sparkling you had better prepare yourself for this one....... uranuswiper.co.uk/

Furret Sun 04-Oct-20 08:28:55

Sparkling

I wouldn't look at a company with a name like that! I wonder they are allowed to use it.

I can’t believe someone actually wrote that.

Furret Sun 04-Oct-20 08:27:47

I dislike the Chinese government. I have nothing against the people of China. So what I’m saying is this company is ethical inasmuch as it is possible to be in this day and age.

And a substantial % of its profits go to building toilets in 3rd world countries

Spangler Sun 04-Oct-20 08:23:00

Sparkling Sun 04-Oct-20 06:15:40
I wouldn't look at a company with a name like that! I wonder they are allowed to use it.

It does tend to have a vulgar sound but it's actually a euphemism, named after the plumber who invented the U-bend in lavatories:

Thomas Crapper was a businessman and plumber. He founded Thomas Crapper & Co in London, a sanitary equipment company. Crapper held nine patents, three of them for water closet improvements such as the floating ballcock. He improved the S-bend plumbing trap in 1880 by inventing the U-bend. The company owned the world's first bath, toilet and sink showroom in King's Road. Crapper was noted for the quality of his products and received several royal warrants.

If you think that's a load of, well crap, look at the manhole covers in Westminster Abbey that have become one of London's minor tourist attractions. They have Crapper's company's name on them.

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 08:07:50

I think it’s a very clever name. Perhaps a bit cheeky.....

Sparkling Sun 04-Oct-20 06:15:40

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-20 00:35:33

Furret yes, it's an Australian company but the paper IS manufactured in China.

Chinese suppliers can wrap our rolls in paper, get 400 sheets on small rolls and pack them into boxes of 48. Western producers had non-flexible, automated production lines
... from the company's blog.

JuneRose Sat 03-Oct-20 22:35:42

They use it at work it's fine. I didn't know it was from China.

Alexa Sat 03-Oct-20 21:54:28

A soak in a warm bidet is soothing for people with IBS

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 18:20:57

Perhaps not! But many would be.

PamelaJ1 Sat 03-Oct-20 16:51:09

Furret I’m not sure that I would be amazed. Seems like most things are.

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 15:45:20

This is not a Chinese company. It is Australian. You’d be amazed just what is manufactured in China.

Grammaretto Sat 03-Oct-20 14:42:54

I am another who prefers eco friendly where possible but since so many things are made in China all I can do is question the suppliers .
A friend who personally boycots Chinese goods for different reasons. (Tibet) finds it hard to buy British and often can't afford to.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 03-Oct-20 14:19:42

Pamela j, I can understand your reason for not buying anything made in China, it is hard. I don't buy anything that comes from Israel as I have strong beliefs on what happening out there.

MerylStreep Sat 03-Oct-20 12:59:15

Barmyoldbat
There are some items that I need but have no choice ?
Where I do, and even though they cost more, I will buy from these people.

PamelaJ1 Sat 03-Oct-20 12:48:37

Barmyoldbat no I can’t say I have nothing made in China. I shouldn’t think many, if any, of us could.
I am trying to keep it to a minimum. I grew up in HK from age 5 until I came over here to college. I am so appalled at what they have done to the ex colony and boycotting their products when I can is my only weapon.
I am totally aware that it may be futile but I will do it anyway.

annsixty Sat 03-Oct-20 12:40:12

Will bidets make a comeback?

Lucca Sat 03-Oct-20 12:36:42

T M I

Alexa Sat 03-Oct-20 12:20:15

I prefer to wash after wiping so no need for reams of paper.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 03-Oct-20 12:05:28

Can those who say they don't want to buy because it comes from China put their hand on their hearts and say they have NOTHING that isn't made in China. iPads, laptops, phones, vacuum cleaners etc.

May7 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:35:00

I'm with you furret the ethical and charitable side far outweighs it for me and my family.
Weve been using this company for a while. The toilet rolls are strong and you dont need as much. Yes they are a bit pricier but ethical purchases usually are. They last twice as long as Andrex and they get delivered to your door. You control the amount you need and when you need it.

Megs36 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:05:52

Went shopping this week, young assistant looking exasperated at empty loo roll shelves said loudly IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOUR BUM, I thought this would make a lovely poster in shop windows.......??