Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Special shampoos for grey hair

(36 Posts)
mumofmadboys Tue 06-Oct-20 09:38:59

Do you think any of these make any difference or is it just a marketing ploy? I would be interested to know what you think. I have grey hair but have always used 'normal' shampoo. Thoughts please

Strictlynana Thu 08-Oct-20 10:10:09

I have very white hair and have had it from 50. The shampoos made a slight difference in shine but also got that from regular shampoo. I’m a great believer in ... if it works for you, go with it.

Schnauzer1 Thu 08-Oct-20 09:52:22

I dye my grey hair ash blonde and have found the purple shampoos great to keep it from going brassy but they irritate my scalp so have had to stop using them. I have tried three different ones, an expensive one I can't remember the name of, the Bleach one and Provoke touch of silver and they all bring my scalp out in sore lumps. I read a review once that it was caused by whatever they use to make them purple. Im gutted as they made a real different to my colour.

123kitty Wed 07-Oct-20 19:42:46

Read the label on shampoo and follow the instructions. If it says leave on for x minutes you need to do that - not just shampoo and rinse immediately. Also don't use these shampoos for every wash. Hope this is helpful.

Shinamae Wed 07-Oct-20 19:10:50

Pro -voke works for me ??

Orosa Wed 07-Oct-20 17:49:03

I found that swimmers shampoo helps neutralise all the chemical build up, when used once in while.

Bakingmad0203 Wed 07-Oct-20 15:48:36

Slightly off topic but still about shampoos, has anyone found a suitable shampoo for itchy scalps? I have definitely not got dandruff, I’ve tried Tgel and baby shampoos but they have made no difference, I was wondering if it might be the hair spray?

blubber Wed 07-Oct-20 15:42:42

I should have said I buy mail order.

blubber Wed 07-Oct-20 15:42:06

I use a solid shampoo bar (and a solid conditioner) from "The Soap Mine" a small company in Beddgelert. They have several perfumes to choose from. It is wonderful and leaves my hair silky soft.

Patticake123 Wed 07-Oct-20 13:36:18

I use Touch of Silver on my white hair and it definitely keeps it brighter. On the occasions I’ve used ‘normal’ shampoo the White takes on a yellow tinge.

Lulubelle500 Wed 07-Oct-20 13:35:50

When I was young my chestnut hair had a lot of red and blonde in it. When the red started to go a brassy blonde my hairdresser started to use the mousse for grey hair before blowdrying which makes it go blonde/silver again. Now people ask me where I get my highlights done as it's so flattering. I know this stage won't last for ever but while it does, yipee! So, yes the mousse for grey hair works for me!

biba70 Wed 07-Oct-20 12:44:05

The shampoo my hairdresser recommended, had a warning about possible strong skin reaction - hidden inside a doublestick on label. I was furious and complained to the manufacturers- complained too that marketing/selling agents to hairdressers did not train them properly to warn clients.

Having said that, my salt and pepper hair, washed with normal shampoo, is brilliant and bright- no sign of yellowing at all- so would have been a waste of money anyhow. Changed hairdressers after this little debacle, and the new one always comments on it.

SillyNanny321 Wed 07-Oct-20 12:35:55

Gone back to Johnsons Baby Shampoo after trying many different shampoos for grey hair. Hair is soft & shiny, feels a lot better too!

Candelle Wed 07-Oct-20 11:54:30

I was an unwilling convert to grey hair after having reaction to my usual hair dye.

For the last month I have been using a shampoo bar (looks like soap!) by gruum.

The product (the nourishing one, which also mentions 'brightening' although there is another bar all about brightening and it really brings out the silver and white streaks in my grey to dark, mostly natural hair. I have been asked several times about my 'highlights'.

This has worked for me.

This product seems to suit me but as we are all so different, I guess we may have to kiss a few frogs before finding our prince! I was lucky with this

Lollypolly Wed 07-Oct-20 11:42:38

My hair is natural white, has been for years and the condition is very good. I did try the different shampoos but made no real difference other than I thought they were a bit harsh. When I was working in middle East the girls used to ask if they could touch my hair and was it real!

Kim19 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:37:46

Saw an ad for a hair 'tonic' which is simply rubbed in to a parting and left on. Any users please?

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:21:33

Yes, different shampoos can make a difference. because I can have an itchy scalp, once a week I use a coal tar shampoo, but my hair tends to be fly-away after, other times I use a Jason's shampoo to give body and my hair behaves a bit better. I'm tempted to try one for my grey hair, but frightened what it would do to my scalp

Welshwife Wed 07-Oct-20 10:50:57

I am another fan of Aveda Blue Malva - I can only get it in a litre sized bottle but have a pump in the bottle which makes it easier to use. The bottle lasts well over a year as I use a normal shampoo and then a small amount of the purple for a second wash. I tried a couple of the other shampoos but found they made my head itch.
I lost my hair when having chemo and it has grown back darker!!! So have not used any colour yet.

Crispy64 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:46:11

I haven’t had any luck with the shampoos, but the conditioner (which I thought was a shampoo) gave really nice highlights, a few people asked if I had been to the hairdresser to have it done.

Adamz Wed 07-Oct-20 10:44:57

I live my hair and leave it natural... I can't kill myself ooo

spallam Wed 07-Oct-20 10:31:08

I use several different shampoos for grey hair and alternate using them. I particularly like Aveda 'Blue Malva' - it is quite expensive but it lasts for ages! I also have 'Touch of Silver' by Provoke and one for grey hair from 'Dove'. I find my hair shines beautifully and I get compliments as well! (I never did before!!)

pen50 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:30:59

I'm growing out my grey with the aid of strategic highlights; using the L'Oreal mauve masque has helped stop things going orangy.

Damdee Wed 07-Oct-20 10:23:31

I let my hair go grey naturally and then started using the special grey shampoos & conditioners. I currently use Provoke Touch of Silver and have had no problems with it. In fact I've had more compliments about my hair then I've ever had in my life!

grandMattie Wed 07-Oct-20 10:05:08

My hair dresser suggested the provoke conditioner not shampoo.

BassGrammy Wed 07-Oct-20 09:51:30

This is interesting! For years I’ve had greY/white hair which I’ve coloured a beige blonde, but it never lasted very well despite being permanent. I decided at the beginning of lockdown to let it grow out and also to let the layers in my hair grow out, as my hair is becoming thinner. I haven’t been to the hairdresser since Feb, although I have trimmed the back length of my hair. The problem is that the rest of it is hardly growing, but is breaking. Could this be liked to using a shampoo for grey hair? It’s a pity if that’s the case because my hair has been lovely and soft, although I haven’t seen much difference in the colour, it’s still yellowy at the ends!

mumofmadboys Wed 07-Oct-20 09:42:43

Thanks all. Good to hear all your opinions.