Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gift suggestions please

(12 Posts)
Alexa Sat 10-Oct-20 23:03:41

have you a garden and have you still some flowers in it? Press tsome between the pages of a heavy book, weighted, and when dry send the pressed flowers inserted between the pages of a booklet about birds.

Sadgrandma Sat 10-Oct-20 22:54:18

Lovely scarves a really good idea, thank you

seacliff Sat 10-Oct-20 19:25:49

Lots on etsy with cats www.etsy.com/market/silk_cat_scarf?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search_UK_DSA_GGL_Categories_Accessories_New&utm_ag=Scarves&utm_custom1=_k_EAIaIQobChMItNSV0dKq7AIVybTtCh1MVQUCEAAYBCAAEgLk2_D_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_9968986285_104634494310_433085799771_dsa-44419709571_c_&utm_custom2=9968986285&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItNSV0dKq7AIVybTtCh1MVQUCEAAYBCAAEgLk2_D_BwE

seacliff Sat 10-Oct-20 19:23:11

A silk scarf is a lovely luxury, and so light.

Calendargirl Sat 10-Oct-20 18:02:31

Could you ‘adopt’ a cat through a charity, in her name?

I always ‘adopt’ a rescued horse or donkey from a local horse rescue centre for the grandchildren. They get a photo and information about said animal.

It lasts a year.

Sadgrandma Sat 10-Oct-20 17:53:44

Thank you for your, suggestions .I would love to find somewhere that would send to her directly. I've looked on Amazon and M&S and they don't seem to, so any other suggestions would be lovely. Unfortunately, she lives in a very rural area with few shops nearby. The idea of a charity gift is a nice one and I will also look on the RSPB site.
All other suggestions welcome too.

Mildmanneredgran Sat 10-Oct-20 17:44:12

Maybe some packet seeds, if you're allowed to send them? Or a CD of birdsong? The RSPB website might be helpful. Hope you find something.

LadyStardust Sat 10-Oct-20 17:43:48

Etsy and Not on the High Street have real flower resin coasters, which I think are lovely. I'm thinking of getting a friend of mine a couple for Christmas. If you do send a parcel parcel2go.com is really good. (am I allowed to suggest web sites?) If not sorry!

PECS Sat 10-Oct-20 17:42:11

Would you consider an online gift that would be delivered to her directly?

CanadianGran Sat 10-Oct-20 17:41:48

Look for some shops in her area that could deliver a gift, whether a bottle of wine, chocolate or some nice bath items.

Use google maps for shop locations, and the phone numbers are usually listed. A good excuse to practice your french!

Lucca Sat 10-Oct-20 17:35:22

How about a donation to charity in her name and say you think this could be the way forward for you both gift wise ?

Sadgrandma Sat 10-Oct-20 17:31:45

I have a dear friend who lives in France and we always exchange Birthday and Christmas gifts. Usually she comes over October/November time and we exchange gifts then but this won't be possible this year. I am loathe to suggest that we don't do it this year as I know she really enjoys it but postage is so expensive, often nearly as much as the gift. I would therefore, be grateful for any suggestions for gifts that don't weigh too much. She is not a jewellery, cosmetics of fashion type of person. She loves cats, garden birds, flowers etc. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.