Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Black Jeans - Grey Lines

(20 Posts)
Notinthemanual Sat 17-Oct-20 08:24:37

Does anyone know how to prevent grey lines on their jeans. I wash and dry them inside out, but they still appear very quickly.

Is it because I'm a cheapskate and don't buy expensive jeans?

aggie Sat 17-Oct-20 08:27:59

Too much detergent , I use far less than it says on the instructions

GrannyLaine Sat 17-Oct-20 08:28:44

Do you use washing liquid /powder for colours to prevent fading? That may help. Also when I have a few black or navy items that are starting to look faded over time, I'll machine dye them to restore colour. Works really well.

Georgesgran Sat 17-Oct-20 08:49:28

Love that Dylon washing machine dye. I only wear black or navy blue trousers, and use those dyes once a year to get everything back to the original colour. So easy to use and clothes get a new lease of life.

travelsafar Sat 17-Oct-20 08:53:05

I too recommend the Dylon washing machine dye. so easy to use and so far has worked perfectly on everything i used it on.

GagaJo Sat 17-Oct-20 08:55:27

Wash without detergent. Unless you're a manual worker a detergent-free wash cleans perfectly well and none of the horrible fading (I wear a lot of black!).

Teetime Sat 17-Oct-20 10:04:11

I have worn M & S black jeans for years but the quality has gone down and down (like lots of other M & S products). My latest pair faded straight away. I have sent for another pair (duh) but I would gladly pay more for a really good pair that stayed black. Recommendations warmly welcomed.

Aldom Sat 17-Oct-20 10:07:36

I have never had this happen. I wash jeans, inside out, at 30 using non biological, liquid detergent, for delicates and wool.

sarahcyn Sat 17-Oct-20 10:13:37

Georgesgran

Love that Dylon washing machine dye. I only wear black or navy blue trousers, and use those dyes once a year to get everything back to the original colour. So easy to use and clothes get a new lease of life.

What a brilliant idea. I had never thought of that. I will get some this week to revive my favourite NYDJs.

Grannynannywanny Sat 17-Oct-20 10:17:43

I’ve never used Dylon washing machine dye. Can I ask once you’ve treated a garment is it inclined to shed its colour in future washes?

annodomini Sat 17-Oct-20 10:48:33

I used the Dylon washing machine dye, preceded by the preparatory product that fades the articles. I had a red teeshirt that had a slight but prominent stain. I dyed it blue and it looks great except for the red stitching. Polyester thread doesn't dye. I'll use it as a liner under winter jumpers.

Grannynannywanny Sat 17-Oct-20 10:56:17

Thanks for the idea. I’ve got a couple pairs of black trousers that are looking a bit faded. I might give it a go.

GrannyLaine Sat 17-Oct-20 12:17:37

Just check what the fabric composition is - synthetics don't take the dye well generally. You don't need to remove colour beforehand if you are going for broadly the same colour. Its really easy to do and the drums of machine dye contain salt to fix the dye. But I always separate light from dark laundry anyway.

Notinthemanual Sun 18-Oct-20 08:35:21

Dylon it is then! And I shall follow the other advice and wash them differently in future.
Thank you ladies.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Oct-20 08:48:18

I personally don’t understand the reasoning behind washing things inside out the water /soap/ detergent goes inside the garment as well as outside?

mokryna Sun 18-Oct-20 08:56:24

Don’t forget, when you buy the dye, to buy the salt required.

Pantglas2 Sun 18-Oct-20 09:09:52

I wash dark things inside out because I line dry all washing and sunlight fades colours, especially dark stuff.

Aldom Sun 18-Oct-20 14:38:14

The reasoning behind washing inside out is to protect the garments from the agitation from the washing machine drum. Less wear and tear on buttons etc.

GrannyLaine Sun 18-Oct-20 19:51:40

mokryna the salt is now included in the Dylon machine dye.

DillytheGardener Sun 18-Oct-20 19:59:33

I second Aldom , I only use delicates&wool wash detergent and my clothes last for years and never fade.