Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Homeopathic remedies, brilliant or waste of time?

(76 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 16-Nov-20 14:14:44

What do you think of homeopathic remedies? Are they good or a total waste of time? My friends fall both sides of the fence, either totally for it or totally against. What do you think?

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Nov-20 09:05:52

I am sorry to read about your cousin joannapiano. Homeopathy can't cure everything the same as allopathic meds can't cure everything. What a shame that she didn't realise earlier that the homeopathy wasn't working.

I am sorry for your loss.

joannapiano Wed 18-Nov-20 08:43:52

I don’t know anything about homeopathy. However, my cousin, who was a qualified homeopathic practitioner in Scotland,and had a large client base,had a hoarse voice and sore throat that she treated by homeopathy for over a year.Eventually she consulted her GP and after tests it was discovered she had throat cancer, it spread to her lungs and she died aged 49. She was a lovely person .

Joplin Wed 18-Nov-20 02:19:17

It's important, not only to use the correct remedy but also to take it in the correct manner. No food from about 20 mins beforehand, or afterwards, & never to touch the pills by hand. Pop it onto the tongue & let it dissolve. As others have said, Helios is a very good & helpful supplier & will make up a combination of remedies to suit the individual after having discussed all the problems first. Homeopathy has helped me considerably over the years - allopathic medicines have nearly killed me, 3 times. I've also seen 3 of my dogs helped or cured over the years. All very clever dogs, but I don't think they knew what they were taking.

Alegrias2 Tue 17-Nov-20 20:32:26

Well, I didn't imply you'd been fooled, so I guess we're equal.

halfpint1 Tue 17-Nov-20 20:25:17

Sorry Alegrias I didn't imply in any way that scientists
'falsify' research , my daughter works for a pharmacutical
company and the work is all marketing driven.

Alegrias2 Tue 17-Nov-20 20:20:46

I've tried to give some reasoned debate Halfpint1, but all I get is committed homeopathy supporters telling me that I think they are stupid and have been fooled. Although I've not said that or anything like it.

The OP asked for people's opinions on homeopathy and she now knows mine. People will be able to make their own minds up.

BTW, I've worked as a scientist and I really resent the implication that scientists take cash to falsify research. But that's a topic for another day.

halfpint1 Tue 17-Nov-20 19:12:47

Alegrias 2

As you say its been around for 220 years so alot of people
have been fooled into taking 'placebos' .

Who pays the salary of scientists? Who is funding research?
look at the Covid Vaccines being created and the enormous
profit about to be made.
In France homeopathic medecine cost around 2€ and the
tube can last you ages. A visit to a Homeopathic Doctor
cost 50€ ,it is re imboursable and you get a deeply personal
session for 1 hour , and it works, price that against the average cost of medecine and you see why most of the medical profession want to stamp it out, they get paid for
pushing the other 'scientific' stuff

Sparklefizz Tue 17-Nov-20 19:05:16

MissAdventure

I'm very tempted to try some homeopathy now..
I've no expectations either way, so it will be interesting to see if I have any results.

It's "horses for courses". If you had a broken leg, you wouldn't expect to consult a brain surgeon. So it depends on what you're trying to treat with homeopathy.

It might be worth your while to give Helios a call. They are very helpful and would give you some free advice. Homeopathic remedies are not expensive.

lilypollen Tue 17-Nov-20 18:37:18

I use homeopathic and other alternative (to mainstream medicine) treatments and have had beneficial results through my choice. Only last night I took 2 Kalms tablets and had the best night's sleep for days. This in no way argues against medical advice being sought for serious conditions.

A previous poster argued reasonably, that she prefers 'the science' though I think at present we all know how much that differs. It should also be borne in mind that the fat cat pharmaceutical companies will always argue against alternatives.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Nov-20 18:30:58

I'm very tempted to try some homeopathy now..
I've no expectations either way, so it will be interesting to see if I have any results.

pinkquartz Tue 17-Nov-20 18:20:52

It has been used by the Royal Family for decades,
The Queen Mum was a great fan.

Juliet27 Tue 17-Nov-20 18:02:20

flowers for your loss poshpaws

Granless Tue 17-Nov-20 17:59:56

MaryTheBookeeper I hope all the ‘helpful’ information on homeopathy helps you grin

Alegrias2 Tue 17-Nov-20 17:47:24

I can't win, can I? Did I say you'd been duped, did I say I was better educated, did I say you were stupid? No, you have interpreted what I said that way. But I have an expertise in something that you don't. I believe you are a photographer paddyanne. I wouldn't dream of questioning your ability in that profession but if I use my specialty to argue facts with you, I'm told I'm talking down to you.

paddyanne Tue 17-Nov-20 17:36:58

Because basically we feel we're being told we dont know anything that those who are "better educated" know best and we should realise we've been duped.Thats not the case.We have had positive results with something you chooses to dismiss but please dont talk down to me I may not have a university degree but I am not stupid.

lizzypopbottle Tue 17-Nov-20 17:12:42

There's been quite a lot of reporting recently about homeopathy practitioners advising against vaccinations. Can anyone who believes in homeopathy tell us more?

Alegrias2 Tue 17-Nov-20 16:27:03

paddyanne I feel I'm being "got at" a lot on his thread so I'm going to be clear what I think about this. Saying something works via the placebo effect doesn't mean it does nothing. My very first post on this thread said that people get upset if you mention the placebo effect, and have a look through all the posts, that's exactly what happened.

Gingergirl was kind enough to explain the idea of dilution. The idea that water remembers what used to be in it is not possible. "Everything is energy" is new age claptrap, sorry. (Now, that's scornful.) There is an equivalence between matter and energy, that's one of the consequences of relativity, and that has been hijacked to try to make this sound plausible.

Homeopathy has been around for around 220 years and in all that time, no convincing evidence for its effectiveness has ever been found, only anecdote. Science has tried, but nothing. You can only go on for so long saying science might be wrong.

However, its not my place to tell you whether or not to take it, and I haven't done that. Other posters have said they don't understand why anti-homeopathy people get so angry. Well, everyone should have a look at this thread and see who the angry, defensive ones are.

Davidhs Tue 17-Nov-20 16:20:10

Others have mentioned consulting a qualified homeopath, nothing wrong with that but most are going to begin with a book or online information. You might try Arnica for sprains or Rhus Tox for stomach problems if they work then expand their use.
A lot of it is trial and error because there will be several remedies for a given condition, just like conventional medicine the GP needs to give the most likely treatment, with DIY homeopathy you quickly learn what works for you and your family.

As a footnote you should not use homeopathy for potentialy serious conditions.

paddyanne Tue 17-Nov-20 16:03:49

To be honest Alegrias2 All the "its a placebo effect,it does nothing,you'd be as well drinking water" does my head in.If I had been as well drinking water do you think I'd have stuck with the sleepless nights,the chronic excruciating pain,the endless pills and examinations in hospital for 5 and a bit years.When doctors could only presribe Tagamet then Zantac and top up the dose every few weeks .Science isn't always accurate or even right in many cases .Maybe some people need to accept that and see that alternative medicine has been around for thousands of years for a reason...It works

anna7 Tue 17-Nov-20 15:56:40

I have a similar story to therustyfairy but not with such good results unfortunately. I took my then 5 year old son to a homeopathic practitioner, who was also a GP. He had a bone disease and we were desperate to do anything that would help, along side conventional treatment. I have to say the homeopathic medicine did nothing at all for him, apart from cost us a lot of money we could not afford. He did eventually fully recover thank goodness but it was the conventional treatment that helped him. I'm not sorry we tried though. It was worth even the smallest chance of it helping him.

Sparklefizz Tue 17-Nov-20 15:09:08

Bristol Homeopathic Hospital closed in 2015 and its premises are now used by the university.

JaneRn Tue 17-Nov-20 14:28:50

If you feel it is making you better that is your choice. The worst it can do is nothing and there are lots of conventional medicines which have nasty side-effects. I think Prince Charles is a devotee!

There used to be a Homeopathic Hospital in Bristol. Don't know if it still there.

therustyfairy Tue 17-Nov-20 13:57:44

Agree with paddyanne, a good practitioner is essential.
Homeopathy worked for my 3 year old son who had a life- altering condition which was regularly under review and treatment by the NHS paediatrician without success. In desperation, 40 years ago, we consulted a registered Homeopathic practitioner who had been a GP and also formed anthroposophical beliefs which guided his practice as a Homeopath. His explanation for what was causing my son's condition was strange and a little bizzare to us, he didn't label the condition using the normal medical terminology but, what he did say rang a bell. We agreed to proceed and he prescribed three item one of which, I recall, was Belladonna. We informed my son's paediatrician and maintained both types of treatment - within two weeks of starting homeopathic treatment there was a perceptible change in my sons health, within a year the paediatrician decided to reduce and discontinue medication for a trial period and agreed we continued with homeopathic remedies until the next review. Homeopathy isn't necessarily a quick fix solution to malfunctions but it does redress and restore the bodies balance in my experience. Now I have a healthy 41 year old son that has never looked back. At three years old my son knew nothing about the placebo effect, his body was just automatically responding to internal and external influences. I must say that in 1981 we were young and financially struggling so the cost of the consultation, which was £50, and the cost of the remedies felt astronomical and blew our budget apart - of course, like other people here, we had doubts at the time but felt we had no other option than to seek an alternative approach - it was the best money ever spent.

Sparklefizz Tue 17-Nov-20 13:55:56

He recognises the power of the placebo effect, though - the mind is a wonderful thing.

My pot plants must have terrific minds then!!

GillT57 Tue 17-Nov-20 13:29:37

I did four years training in homeopathy, I have seen it work. I am astounded by how angry people get when discussing it, it is not compulsory, and if it works for many people, as Paddyanne so clearly explained, why does it bother the detractors? It works for me and my family, we do not bother the GP with minor ailments choosing to deal with them homeopathically. One thing I would say though; there is no such thing as a homeopathic remedy for 'hay fever' or for 'eczema', one of the principles of homeopathy is individualisation and it is therefore worth making an appointment with a qualified practitioner who will take a lengthy personal history and prescribe the relevant remedy, tweaking it if necessary. Having said that, phoning Helios is the second best thing. I envy those of you able to attend the clinics of the late Jan de Vries, he wrote several interesting books.