Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sending flowers via the internet.

(55 Posts)
Howjado Tue 17-Nov-20 14:07:24

I want to send my daughter some flowers to cheer her up. Never done it online before. I spent ages picking the right bunch, but when I went to pay, I was expecting to provide a few words to go on a gift tag or something. No mention of a card or message. Just press here to pay for you chosen flowers. Is this the norm with internet flowers?

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 17:54:47

I use Waitrose or Interflora to send flowers and they always ask for a message for the card at some point in the process. I wouldn't use a company unless I could send a message.

GrannySomerset Wed 18-Nov-20 17:31:58

I have recently sent flowers by Serentia which the recipients were very pleased with. If using B&W I send them the day before so that they have time to perk up for The Day.

MrsThreadgoode Wed 18-Nov-20 17:21:45

I always find a local florist to the recipient, that way you can tell them exactly what you want and the message.
It also helps to keep the small local florist in business. Most shops have reviews of their flowers online, so you can check that they are ok.

Marg75 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:55:59

I use 'Bunches' and have had no problems & was given a chance to write a message. Recipients have been happy with them!

Marydoll Wed 18-Nov-20 09:47:13

These are the flowers I sent my DIL yesterday.

They came with a free box of chocolates.

FindingNemo15 Wed 18-Nov-20 09:10:52

Twice I have received flowers from Jersey in a book and they were rubbish. I did not tell my friend as it seemed rude and ungrateful.

Granarchist Wed 18-Nov-20 09:05:53

I think if you can source a good florist near your recipient it is better value to go via them.

JackyB Wed 18-Nov-20 09:02:04

I always used Bunches to send flowers to my mother. I liked their website.

My mother was always delighted but my sister says they weren't always great and she knows her onions when it comes to flowers. I never saw them myself, of course.

When I visited, I picked some up from M and S at the airport and once I got there I would buy them in Tesco's as my sister said theirs were freshest.

Howjado Tue 17-Nov-20 21:48:43

Thanks ladies for your many replies. Bloom and Wild got the most recommendations, so I will give them a try.

Tweedle24 Tue 17-Nov-20 20:14:05

I have only used the letter box flowers once. I have a couple of friends who were both ill so, used those flowers so they did not have to rush to the front door when they arrived. They were delighted with them.
Usually, though, like Coolgran I would normally contact a florist local to the recipient. I started doing that many years ago when I realised it was cheaper and more reliable than Interflora, about the only delivery company then.

Oldbat1 Tue 17-Nov-20 20:10:37

My bloom and wild flowers did look very sad when they arrived and I felt rather disappointed BUT by next day they awoke looking beautiful.

Chardy Tue 17-Nov-20 19:52:09

I always used to send Tesco flowers, but I was sent some gorgeous Bloom & Wild flowers a while back

Luckylegs Tue 17-Nov-20 19:51:53

I just came across Waitrose flowers so I’m trying them for our DIL’s 50th birthday. Hope they’re alright.

Blossoming Tue 17-Nov-20 19:48:59

Used B&W a few times, love them. Also Moonpig do them in the gifts section, they don’t just do greetings cards.

EllanVannin Tue 17-Nov-20 18:57:07

When I send flowers to my D in Oz, I contact a florist in her area there. The last lot were truly beautiful and not expensive either.
I'll be ordering an extra special bunch complete with gift for her 60th in January. They have brilliant selections.

Local florists where I am are every bit as good as the popular ones, with more for your money. Many are online.

Ashcombe Tue 17-Nov-20 18:52:27

silverlining48 I use Direct2Florist for sending flowers to my daughter in Australia. They use local florists and she was so impressed with the quality of the flowers that she regularly patronises the same florist.

So I think they send to Europe:-

www.direct2florist.co.uk/pages/send-flowers-abroad-204

LadyStardust Tue 17-Nov-20 18:47:29

Bloom and Wild are always good for me. They do look a little weak and feeble at first. Wouldn't you if you had been packed in a box for 24 hours? grin They are usually in bud too, but once put in water and given time to recover they are usually beautiful and last for ages. The best thing about these is they go through the letterbox ( if you choose the letterbox flowers) which means there are no problems if the recipient isn't home.

Ashcombe Tue 17-Nov-20 18:44:36

I use Bunches which has a very user friendly website with optional cards or just a space for a message. I would thoroughly recommend for reasonable prices, reliablility and long lasting flower or house plants. You can add extras like bubbly, cake or chocs and they supply hampers too. Vouchers are often to be found online for % reduction.

www.bunches.co.uk

Auntieflo Tue 17-Nov-20 18:41:29

Another ? for Bloom and Wild here

DillytheGardener Tue 17-Nov-20 18:37:03

NfkDumpling, yes the instructions tell you to trim and soak in a bucket before arranging. I find bloom and wild to be the best, because as you mentioned they last double the length of the professional arrangements

DillytheGardener Tue 17-Nov-20 18:35:05

Definitely Bloom and Wild, you can even choose your card design, and I’ve purchased them for others and received them, and great customer service. They are more enjoyable too as you can arrange them yourself and not as stuffy formal looking as the inter flora type companies.

Grandmafrench Tue 17-Nov-20 18:31:52

I sent flowers FROM Europe, to a Gran in the UK. I cannot bear the anxiety that Interflora creates nor the disappointment, so I found a lovely hotel near where she lived, asked their advice on flowers, they recommended a local florist who did a wonderful job - me choosing the flowers I wanted on the 'phone. I normally send Spring flowers through SCILLY FLOWERS. They can produce daffodils and narcissi in bud throughout the winter months, all fresh letterbox flowers., with typed greetings, which bloom almost immediately in a warm room. Only time they let me down on delivery was when the fog was so bad in the Scillies that the aircraft couldn't take off for the mainland - for 2 days!

Urmstongran Tue 17-Nov-20 18:27:12

Always used NEXT over the years.
Fabulous flowers.
A box provided for a message.

annodomini Tue 17-Nov-20 18:19:52

I've also used a Cornish flower farm to send flowers by post and had a very happy response from the recipients.
www.google.com/search?q=fentongollan+flowers+by+post&rlz=1CATTSD_enGB862&oq=fe&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j46l2j0j69i60l3.8193j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

NotSpaghetti Tue 17-Nov-20 17:44:47

I no longer send imported flowers. I know the choice is always less but I now use this lovely family business:

cornishblooms.co.uk/

I've sent 5 or 6 lots from them, have had photos of 3. Very pleased and good with messages.