Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Could Christmas cards spread the virus?

(106 Posts)
Rosieroe Wed 25-Nov-20 17:58:28

Most people stick envelopes by dampening the glue with a lick.

Am I wrong in being concerned that all that saliva on thousands of Christmas card envelopes is potentially hazardous, not just to postal workers but to every recipient?

I hope someone with better knowledge in these matters can reassure me that I’m worrying unnecessarily. ?

grannypiper Mon 30-Nov-20 17:48:31

Just tuck the flap onto the envelope. It is much safer that way as it is obvious there is no money in the card so less likely to go missing.

Puzzled Mon 30-Nov-20 17:02:20

Depends on whether they have been licked, sneezed upon or handled by someone with Covid.
Since the figures suggest that less than one percent of the population are actually infected, the risk is probably minimal.

BlueSky Fri 27-Nov-20 19:12:21

No open mail and parcels straight away, then wash my hands thoroughly before doing anything else.

Joplin Fri 27-Nov-20 03:15:50

Hold the envelope with your left hand, slit it open with your right (paper knife), remove contents with right hand ( which were probably posted several days ago ) then discard envelope into paper bin. If this is done without gloves just wash your hands well with soap. I've done this for a few months now - I think it avoids having to quarantine the whole lot.

moggie57 Thu 26-Nov-20 22:16:10

Most Christmas stamps are self sticking.anyway cards will be in the postbox for 24 hours. Covid rules

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 26-Nov-20 21:01:13

I've never really thought about it, but think the cards will bring more joy than Coronavirus.

ALANaV Thu 26-Nov-20 20:35:06

NO ....opinion has it that although it was first thought to be likely it has now been decided there is no risk from carboard, paper etc .....only I MAY decide bills are dangerous to open .....grin

NotAGran55 Thu 26-Nov-20 20:07:46

If post and groceries are so dangerous why don’t we hear of postal workers and shop assistants dropping like flies ?

Hymnbook Thu 26-Nov-20 19:49:50

Everything that comes into my flat is wiped with sanitizer spray or left to one side for a few days before using unwrapping etc.

cookiemonster66 Thu 26-Nov-20 19:34:54

we are lucky to get any mail from royal snail or parcel farce at the moment, once a week if we are lucky?!? I have 16 parcels currently outstanding - all been posted at least 7-10 days ago by senders!?! so am sure after being in royal snail system for that many days the virus would have died from gum poisoning! (along with my hope of ever receiving any mail in time for xmas)

MrsDally Thu 26-Nov-20 16:43:55

GreyKnitter

I think I’m one of the sad people open to abuse. I leave all post in the quarantine spot in the hall - parcels too and wait for 3 days plus to open them and then wash my hands. All our shopping - delivered by the supermarket as we haven’t been in a supermarket since the beginning of the first lockdown - plus fruit and veg from the local farm shop - are either cleaned with sanitising spray or given a good wash. We feel safe this way and it only takes a few mins. We’d rather be safe than sorry. Our choice to do this and we’re happy with it so don’t really care if others want to be abusive about it! Each to their own and we’re not doing anyone any harm.

Us too GreyKnitter, each to their own as you say. Having heard what my 26 yr old niece is going through after catching it at work I'm certainly not taking any chances. Some people are more anxious than others and should not be ridiculed for doing something that enables them to cope in these awful times. Be kind, be understanding after all it's not hurting you

bikergran Thu 26-Nov-20 16:35:26

Rosieroe thank you for that smile

Aepgirl Thu 26-Nov-20 15:56:29

Yes, a letter opener is the way forward.

Pantglas2 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:44:24

Exactly right Lucca, each to their own.

I’m happy with washing my hands or sanitising regularly- it’s kept me COVID free all year and cold and flu free for the last four years! Given how often I’ve flown in that time, it appears to have worked!?

GrannyRose15 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:42:13

I read an article this morning that said you needn't worry about Christmas cards. There is little risk of them spreading any disease.

Lucca Thu 26-Nov-20 15:23:04

I agree let people take whatever precautions they feel comfortable with. No need for unkind remarks. I said that I don’t take care with post, but that’s just me.

Riverwalk Thu 26-Nov-20 14:34:59

I'm certainly not decrying those who are being extra cautious - they obviously have their reasons, but as I asked in my earlier post why would you leave it for 72 hours?

I'm just thinking of the science - if something is so potentially dangerous that the viral load could be so big that it would be a danger, why would you leave it in your hall/porch for 72 hours, rather than deal with it there and then?

It seems the same people immediately deal with the groceries, why not the mail?

Bluecat Thu 26-Nov-20 14:28:14

We leave our post for a couple of days. No point taking chances.

As for groceries, my DH disinfects or washes everything after we have done our Click and Collect. (He says that I don't do it properly and I am happy to agree.) There was a study done during the Spanish lock down and it found that, out of all the factors that they looked at (such as shopping, exercise, etc), disinfecting shopping was the most significant factor in reducing infections.

sharon103 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:11:05

I had thought the same as you Rosieroe
I'll be tucking the flap inside the envelope this year.
I read the other day about hand delivering stuck down envelopes.
Right or wrong, I don't know.

CleoPanda Thu 26-Nov-20 13:30:05

Everything that comes into your home - Pick up, open up, put away, throw away then before touching your face .....
Wash your hands with soap or use sanitiser.
Job done.
Doing a little more than is necessary isn’t bad is it?
Doing nothing to stop the spread is disgusting isn’t it ie not wearing masks, not socially distancing, mingling with several households?
As for Ellie666 - is this poster always rude, judgmental and self centred??

Nanniejude Thu 26-Nov-20 13:12:47

Unless you’re licking your post when you receive it, you won’t be catching any viruses from it!
Follow government advice,you don’t need gloves and wash your hands.

Callistemon Thu 26-Nov-20 13:12:12

washing every item of fruit and veg

I'd wash fruit/salad/veg if I was going to eat it without peeling it first, even without the pandemic.

Craftycat Thu 26-Nov-20 13:04:59

I really think it is a step too far to worry about this. I tuck flap on envelopes in rather than lick anyway.
If an envelope is stuck down you rip it along the top anyway so what is tbe problem?

riccib123 Thu 26-Nov-20 12:54:54

I agree with nordsat...everything that comes into this house and doesn't need the fridge or freezer is quarantined for 3 days before we deal with it

Pinkrinse Thu 26-Nov-20 12:53:12

No one licks envelopes or stamps these days? Even if you do I wouldn’t worry about it.