Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

William and Kate’s rail trip

(252 Posts)
Newquay Mon 07-Dec-20 17:28:55

AIBU I cannot believe this. The royal train costs a fortune. The only good this will do is bolster the RF. The number of folk in dire straits is unbelievable-how on earth will a visit from this pampered pair help I wonder?

Urmstongran Mon 07-Dec-20 21:40:06

Levels. Tiers.
Okay, got that wrong - no pubs then.
But Edinburgh can mingle - shops are open there!
Unlike Glasgow.

Anniebach Mon 07-Dec-20 21:41:07

The press have to drive ? If they don’t will they be locked in the tower? , or perhaps they don’t have press coverage in Scotland

Mapleleaf Mon 07-Dec-20 21:42:15

I agree lemongrove. Good post.
They would be critisised if they didn't go out and about by some, and critisised for going out and about by others. Damned if they do, damned if they don't! Personally, I think good for them.

Alegrias2 Mon 07-Dec-20 21:43:11

smile UG. Glasgow hoping for Level 3 from Friday, fingers crossed for them.

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 21:45:41

GrannyGravy13

I am a royalist, no apologies.

I has to take your word for it, Grannygravy as you had read it.

Grany Mon 07-Dec-20 21:50:31

They do cost a lot £345 million How many public service workers nurses, teachers police, money would provide for could be better spent?
A funny way to explain funding. It is actually spread between every man woman and child

Ellianne Mon 07-Dec-20 22:16:53

Well I guess we can at least be pleased there will be no overseas tours or visits for a year or so. There's enough for them to be getting on with on our own shores.
The cost of the UK rail trip is small compared with William and Kate's Australian trip that didn't happen.

Urmstongran Mon 07-Dec-20 22:33:13

Yes Alegrias2 definitely fingers crossed for Glasgow to go down a Level.

I loved today that when an elderly man & his wife on their doorstep (all mask wearing) asked Kate ‘what should I call you?’ she said ‘just call me Catherine’. That was nice. Friendly and kind. x

paddyanne Mon 07-Dec-20 23:43:00

Go on Grannygravy tell me whats acceptable about the mediaeval concept of monarchy in the 21st century?Most folk have to work hard for their living while these parasites and that is what they are (parasites live off other living things) are feted and indulged and treated like little gods.
Its way past its sell by date and should be abolished when Lizzie dies....even I'm not going to throw an old dear on the street ...even old dears who think its acceptable for others to live on them

MayBee70 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:13:10

Northumberland is in tier 3 but the infection rate is only high in certain areas eg Ashington I believe. It’s pretty low in Berwick.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:25:27

paddyanne if you actually believe that abolishing the Royals would help the poor and homeless of the UK you are mistaken.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:44:22

Anti-Royalists are entitled to their opinion of course but I do question why they appear to be so vehement.

If a visit from the future King of the UK
Cheers folks up and lifts the Countries spirits then the train tour is successful.

(Rather the Royals than the train tour of the Covid positive SNP politician, it definitely wasn’t joy she was spreading)

Alegrias2 Tue 08-Dec-20 09:27:43

I'm a republican, and I would say that I am disappointed rather than vehement. None of the discussions about how much they cost make much difference to me, I just find it disappointing that a modern nation feels the need to idolise some people whose ancestors happen to have been born in the right place at the right time. The Queen's been good at her job, but a future monarch could be diabolical, and we don't have any say over whether they get to rule or not.

Like many people, the Earl and Countess of Strathearn's visit to Scotland passed me by. What hasn't passed me by is the people who would like to use it as a stick to beat Scotland and the Scots with.

GG13, that was rather a silly reference to Ferrier, wasn't it? Especially as she has been disowned by the SNP and everyone, on all parts of the political spectrum, roundly and loudly disapproved of her actions.

Parsley3 Tue 08-Dec-20 09:50:07

It is fascinating how the mind of a Royal adviser works. A visit from a senior Royal and call me Catherine in the Hogwarts Express will be the very dab to rally the fans who will be distracted by the novelty of it all and call it wonderful. And yet people do fall for it. A televised thank you would have had the same effect.

gillgran Tue 08-Dec-20 09:51:54

I agree with all the posts from Lemongrove, Urmstongran, GG13, Merlowgran, & others, ( I do wish there was a "like" on here.!)

Nadateturbe Tue 08-Dec-20 09:52:46

Grany's wasn't the only predictable post.

I agree it was probably a marketing exercise. I think there's a lot of that going on nowadays.

Merlot I think it was meant to be 'frowning'.

25Avalon Tue 08-Dec-20 10:03:52

Like it or not we have a RF and not a republic. The RF do NOT rule us and are mainly symbolic. They pull in thousands of tourists a year adding to our economy. Whilst we have a monarchy let’s make use of them. Kate had been in contact with an OAP, caring for his wife with dementia, for several months. How lovely that she called on him in person during this rail tour and made his day. Lots of people felt the same way. Let’s not deprive them of a little joy in these dark times.

Would you rather have Trump as head of state? I think not.

Anniebach Tue 08-Dec-20 10:12:34

A president would be a nightmare, election every 5 years, think of the prime ministers elected since 1945

Lillie Tue 08-Dec-20 10:12:38

I can't remember what they wore, but the press is commenting less and less on her clothes, her heels or her hair. Maybe we have gone beyond that now and the importance of their visits is in their being there, smiling and looking like they care.
They did look cold though!

Grany Tue 08-Dec-20 10:15:38

The RF do interfere in politics they lobby for their own interests. The HoS is supposed to support the constitution not just be symbolic. See Visit Britain The RF has no impact on tourism The French Palace of Versailles has more visitors and they do not have a monarchy.

We would not have a president like Trump it would be

someone like they have in Ireland well liked and well respected.

The RF spend public money as if it's their own day in day out week in week out How are they allowed to get away with it? Time they were gone.

Alegrias2 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:16:47

You're right, 25Avalon, I should have said "reign", not "rule".

But let's not go down the "would you rather have Trump?" route, its so predictable. Of course I wouldn't want Trump as head of state. But I wouldn't have minded Mary Robertson, or Mary McAleese.

Alegrias2 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:19:31

Anniebach

A president would be a nightmare, election every 5 years, think of the prime ministers elected since 1945

Oh I know, Anniebach, all this democracy is so tiresome isn't it?

Let's just rely on a family who surely, must know better than us who we want to represent the country, after all they are our betters, aren't they?

Sorry, I'm getting vehement.....

Grany Tue 08-Dec-20 10:21:47

The RF has one of the best art collections in the world and we are not allowed to see it. Open the palace to visitors all year round And it would become a world class tourist destination

Also if the palace was open all year it would pay for its own repairs as do other State buildings around the world

But the RF do not want to do that.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:27:22

I do not view the Royals as my betters? They are human beings going about their business.

They do much more for charities then you will ever see in the MSM.

I cannot justify vilifying a whole family due to their birth circumstances ? I do not envy wealth whether it be inherited or earned. This does not mean that I do not care for the less fortunate members of society.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:29:53

The picture galleries are open (non Covid times) at Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham.