Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shrewsbury Maternity services

(10 Posts)
BlueSapphire Sat 12-Dec-20 14:13:08

So sad that these women were ignored in their time of need. I read the article in the paper yesterday and was horrified. Thank goodness that when I had DS my DH intervened and I had an emergency section. I vowed not to have a further child in that hospital. And I didn't; DD was born in a military hospital abroad and the difference in care was unbelievable.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Dec-20 20:51:05

I was in tears watching Ch4 News tonight.

Marydoll Thu 10-Dec-20 20:46:07

I watched an interview with two of the couples involved. It was heartbreaking to see their pain.

M0nica Thu 10-Dec-20 20:41:22

I would suggest, on no evidence, but knowing how these things work, that there was a senior consultant, who believed that caesarians were for wusses and employed other doctors with his mindset. Men like that did dominate and form medical specialities to their image and God help anyone who dared to differ, they were soon working elsewhere.

A bit like Donald Trump stuffing the Supreme Court with judges who would blow his trumpet to his call.

highlanddreams Thu 10-Dec-20 20:12:40

I also had 2 babies at Shrewsbury Maternity hospital back in the 80's and all the staff were fantastic & looked after us very well indeed. The hospital was warm & clean as a whistle and everyone was friendly too, they couldn't do enough for all the mothers and babies. Both times were a lovely experience for me luckily.

Susan56 Thu 10-Dec-20 20:03:53

A girl my daughter was at school with is one of the young mums affected.Her story is heartbreaking and MawBe you are right when you say your blood ran cold.When my daughter told me what had happened and the heartbreak I wept.These poor young women have had their whole lives ruined.The way they were treated was unbelievable,the lack of help and support would leave you speechless.

kittylester Thu 10-Dec-20 20:00:42

I had 2 children in Shrewsbury Hospital and the staff were wonderful - but it was a long time ago.

MawBe Thu 10-Dec-20 19:56:51

My blood ran cold at what I heard and I thank my lucky stars for kindly and humans care from Queen Mary’s Roehampton (me) and Birmingham Women’s, UCLH and Whipps Cross on my daughters’ behalf.

Ilovecheese Thu 10-Dec-20 19:51:22

Yes, I thought that the attitudes of medical personnel had become kinder in recent years, but perhaps not.
I do think it is a bit unfair to blame a culture of "natural birth at any cost" hospitals are always encouraged to avoid caesarean sections because they are more expensive than a natural birth, hospital management will frown at doctors who perform more sections than the average.

Newquay Thu 10-Dec-20 18:51:31

Just seen the report on the heart rending report on deaths of new borns and some Mums in Shrewsbury.
Mums wishes/concerns ignored. Truly heart breaking.
When our DD2 was born in a different hospital, mercifully now closed, we had a horrendous experience-mercifully we both survived no physical harm done but I could weep now thinking of how I was (mis)treated and baby too let alone DH.
Just can’t believe it’s STILL going on!